This older couple just visited Manhattan

Old Jun 11th, 2024, 08:25 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
This older couple just visited Manhattan

Just a few tips here. Me, 83 in a few weeks. She, just turned 78. Me some very real balance problems. She, is presently under treatment by a cardiologist - hills take her breath away. Me immunocompromised. Did we have fun? You betcha.

Some logistics. It was my first time on public transportation following surgery 5+ years ago. We chose Amtrak BWI train station to NYC Penn Station.
Luggage, 2 carryon sized suitcases.
AMTRAK BWI station has 3 large garages with plenty of spaces including many handicap spots.
Each train car has handicap seats at each end with loads of room.
Noted on way to Manhattan there is a station at Newark airport, good to know.
Arrived at Penn Station Moynihan Hall which is the Amtrak part of Penn Station.
Wended our way up to street and there was a taxi line.
Took a Yellow Cab to Fairfield Inn Central Park on W 58 St. The hotel is a fairly easy walk to Lincoln Center and our destination, LaGuardia HS where I was to be attending my 65th reunion.
NOTE: Bus and Subway is a good way to get around but not for us. We used Yellow Taxi -everywhere. Taxis were plentiful and never had to wait more than a minute for one. This was a Fri, Sat, and Sun traveling between the station to hotel to Greenwich Village to hotel to Museum of Natural History to hotel to station.
Contrary to most opinion Yellow Taxis usually cost less than Uber or Lyft. The taxis were usually mini vans always clean and fairly new. With basically no wait to get one using Yellow Taxi was for us an easy choice. Payment by card was no problem and without direct contact.
Best deal: Red Caps at Moynihan Hall Penn Station. There is a separate Red Cap area. Provide your train number at the registration desk, take a seat and a Red Cap will come and take you to your train before the general public and help you to your seat. Gratuities are appreciated.

Last edited by basingstoke2; Jun 11th, 2024 at 09:04 PM.
Old Jun 11th, 2024, 09:15 PM

Received 50 Likes on 7 Posts
65th reunion -- wow! Congratulations. Sounds like you two really squeezed in a lot. (I prefer taxis myself - have a philosophical problem with uber, but will use lyft now and then)
Old Jun 12th, 2024, 05:08 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
So glad your trip went well and you were able to get around without trouble.
Old Jun 13th, 2024, 03:55 PM

Where is the taxi stand? Going to NY sun and hotel is in 48 th. Last few trips I havenít seen taxi stand so walked but we have a show at 3 so want to save time. Is it in 7th or 8 th Ave?
Old Jun 13th, 2024, 08:15 PM
Original Poster

I don't recall, sorry. There were stairs to the exit so we looked for an elevator sign and saw a sign that said transportation and had a picture of a car front on it so went that way. The stand was right at the exit. However, there were so many taxis you should not have a problem finding one - we never did.

Last edited by basingstoke2; Jun 13th, 2024 at 08:17 PM.
Old Jun 14th, 2024, 07:48 AM

If the hotel is on 48th, almost all the theatre district is walkable and you would get there faster than by taking a taxi.
Old Jun 14th, 2024, 08:48 AM

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
Did you get to the 2nd Avenue Deli?
Old Jun 14th, 2024, 11:19 AM
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Fra_Diavolo
Did you get to the 2nd Avenue Deli?
No, We met friends at the Cafe Reggio for coffee and talk and then all walked through Washington Square Park to the Knickerbocker Grill for dinner. Dinner the next day was a catered thing at the school. It was a whirlwind weekend.
Old Jun 14th, 2024, 07:49 PM

Originally Posted by Vicky
Where is the taxi stand? Going to NY sun and hotel is in 48 th. Last few trips I havenít seen taxi stand so walked but we have a show at 3 so want to save time. Is it in 7th or 8 th Ave?
Vicky,

The taxi stand for the Moynihan Train Hall is located on W31st St between 8th & 9th Avenues.

There is also a taxi stand on the other side of 8th Avenue by Madison Square Garden.

Also there are always taxis dropping off passengers on 8th Avenue just outside of the Train Hall entrance so one could become available quickly.

Enjoy your stay in NYC
Old Jun 15th, 2024, 07:32 AM
Original Poster

That is a helpful post nycguy. Our taxi dropped us at 8th ave just as you described and that would be an excellent place to catch a cab.
BTW, I was a "nycguy" too born there and intending to never leave until a low draft number in '67 changed my life trajectory.
Old Jun 15th, 2024, 07:59 AM

Glad your experience was great! Yes on the news here in NE Jersey we get is the NYC Metropolitan news which every single day features the muggings, shootings, punch-outs, But in a city of millions, there are more bright moments than these featured. Though husband and I no longer will take subways, as there is elder targeting, and we are just a year younger than the two of you, the train from Morris County NJ into Penn Station is always fine, as the bus we take occasionally into Port Authority particularly when we are heading uptown rather than downtown (it's 12 blocks shorter a walk), without issue. We of course do not take public transportation after 9 pm or before 6 am nor walk in Central Pk after dark. Just common sense and awareness to walk amidst others. Oh, I would love the Red Cap service, but we don't use Amtrak! Bravo to you two!!
Old Jun 15th, 2024, 02:02 PM

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
Thumbs up for the trip report! I was on the Mexico forum a minute ago so thought the title read you'd been to "Mazatlan"... what a fool ;-) that'd be me not you.

Seriouly now, truly love the details of the train, suitcases, how age plays into things.

I've had a few brushes with NYC in my life, all fantastic memories.

suze
Old Jun 16th, 2024, 04:42 PM

Congrats, Basie and your DW. When I used Amtrak Penn Station to BWI in 2019, a guy said he tipped the red cap $5. I gave a $20. Taking a train that originates in NYC gave me more seating options.

Vicky, I have flagged down cabs as well...A step out from the curb and an arm raised in the hailing position worked for me. This from Googling:
"If only the center light (the taxi #) is lit, the cab is available."
Old Jun 16th, 2024, 10:01 PM

Received 8 Likes on 1 Post
Glad you had a good visit bas, and thanks for updated travel info.

Cafe Reggio, now that conjures up a lot of memories! Our favorite place was on the same side of MacDougal, but across Bleeker, Cafe Dante. It closed some years back, but now Google says it's reopened in a new incarnation as a restaurant more than just a coffee shop.
Old Jun 17th, 2024, 10:18 AM

You graduated the same year I did, but I still call it Music & Art
Old Jun 17th, 2024, 02:27 PM
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Michael
You graduated the same year I did, but I still call it Music & Art

Me too. I wonder if we knew each other. Were you music or art?
Old Jun 17th, 2024, 04:39 PM

Originally Posted by basingstoke2
Me too. I wonder if we knew each other. Were you music or art?
Music, a mediocre violinist/violist all my life.
Old Jun 17th, 2024, 05:39 PM
Original Poster

Then our paths must have crossed. I played French Horn. Orchestra 5 as a freshman, orchestra 7 sophomore and first stand senior orchestra in junior and senior years. If you got into M&A on violin or viola you were not mediocre. I have always felt it was a tremendous privilege to go there. By any chance were you in all city? My sister in law played violin there as did my brother. That is how they met.

Last edited by basingstoke2; Jun 17th, 2024 at 05:46 PM.
Old Jun 17th, 2024, 07:33 PM

Originally Posted by basingstoke2
Then our paths must have crossed. I played French Horn. Orchestra 5 as a freshman, orchestra 7 sophomore and first stand senior orchestra in junior and senior years. If you got into M&A on violin or viola you were not mediocre. I have always felt it was a tremendous privilege to go there. By any chance were you in all city? My sister in law played violin there as did my brother. That is how they met.

At some point we were playing in the same orchestra(s)

Not in all city, but in the Henry Street orchestra which was quite a commute since we lived in Inwood and then the edges of Riverdale.
Old Jun 17th, 2024, 08:34 PM
Original Poster

We both spent a good part of our youth riding the rails. During those years I lived in Brooklyn at the edge of Queens my lessons were at The Williamsburg Settlement and I also played in their symphony band as part of the deal. New York's settlement houses were wonderful places opening up opportunities for so many.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Your Privacy Choices -