Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

This is really sad re:Hawaii...Fodors can you not help us?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 14th, 2000, 06:18 AM
annemarie

I have used this forum for over a year now and really enjoyed both being helped and helping others in their vacation adventures. We all have differences of opinion but that is its purpose! Over the past few weeks, I have noticed a decline in proper use of this board by a group of people that have a real difficulty with one another. As a result, a lot of honest people are not getting proper responses to their questions. What can be done? What can you do to help??

Old Feb 14th, 2000, 06:45 AM
Vicki

Well said, Annemarie. I have thought about this exact same subject and posting this exact same message. This board is about travel info and experiences, and I was quite disappointed reading the disturbing Hawaii thread myself.
Thanks, hopefully Fodors can make some type of impact here.

Old Feb 14th, 2000, 08:26 AM
michele

Annemarie and others,
If yo return to the Home Page and click the Fodor's icon there is section for COMMENTS. Express your concerns there and Fodor's is very good about attending to them. They want to keep these forums travel forums.

Old Feb 14th, 2000, 05:49 PM
Lani

I was told by a Fodor's editor that they will interfere only in the case of profanity and advertising. Now they definitely have to know that some people are, to some degree, advertising, and those people are still on here - so I don't know what, if anything, they will do! The Forum has been wonderful, until just the last few weeks! Really, really too bad!

Old Feb 14th, 2000, 06:10 PM
JR

what a copout! some of these folks need to be banished permanently!!!

Old Feb 14th, 2000, 07:41 PM
Lottie Tagupa

I feel much like annemarie. I also enjoy helping people. I appreciate you sharing that.

Lottie

Old Feb 14th, 2000, 10:15 PM
islander

I know you want to help visitors Lottie, but this is a site for travelers, NOT travel professionals ADVERTISING. There's a line, and that's Fodor policy. Some of your info has been wrong too. Sorry. CONSUMERS BEWARE!

Old Feb 15th, 2000, 05:09 AM
noname

Oh, Lottie (and all your other names), go swimming with the sharks!

Old Feb 19th, 2000, 10:34 AM
get a life

all you people need to get a life!!!!!

Old Feb 19th, 2000, 03:51 PM
Joan & Richard Graybill

We agree, feel that if you cannot be civil do not visit this site. People are only offering that opinions or advice...so sad

Old Feb 20th, 2000, 07:21 PM
julie

YeaH! and another tired thread is in Europe (Irritating Habits, etc.) It goes on for miles with inane and stupid, outright hostile remarks to and fro, etc. This forum needs supervision.

Old Feb 21st, 2000, 07:21 AM
Mo

Julie you are a bore. Dont read them if you dont like them.

Old Mar 2nd, 2000, 01:13 AM
islander

As the ORIGINAL islander at [email protected] I object to the above post. I did not send it. Lottie, could this be you again?

Old Mar 2nd, 2000, 06:31 AM
edie

what thread are you all talking about? the maui heidi one?

Old Mar 2nd, 2000, 05:42 PM
jj

I think if people have to use their REAL e-mail address,it may cut down on the postings of losers with nothing but idle time on their hands.

Old Mar 3rd, 2000, 01:58 AM
John

Dear JJ:
I heartily agree!!!

Old Mar 3rd, 2000, 06:52 AM
nospam

Sadly enough, this U.S. forum is a model of civility compared to the European forum. The Dr. Abate postings last year are legendary! In addition, there's a select group of Fodor's regulars who routinely subject others to their sneers and condescension -- go visit the Paris Bridges thread to get a taste of it.

Old Mar 3rd, 2000, 07:14 AM
John

Dear nospam:
Your comments are the dot on the I! I've always suspected that Americans are more polite than Europeans (though more vulgar in their tastes--i.e. the numbers of postings by lemmings madly rushing off to the Disneyan paradises, Hawaii, and Las Vegas). But does that also make us more civilized?

Old Mar 3rd, 2000, 07:29 AM
nospam

John:

The people I'm referring to on the European forum ARE American. They are a smug group who try to cloak their insults and put-downs as "humor." The person who posted the Paris bridges question is a Czech who does not speak English as a first language, and the group just dogpiled on this person with their snide remarks. Go read it and see how the group tries to backpedal and downplay their meanness once the Czech poster apologizes for her lack of English skills!

Old Mar 3rd, 2000, 09:56 AM
John

Dear nospam:
I guess it evens out. Just think about how much have fun the Parisians have with American tourists trying to speak French.