Reload this Page >

KEYS: best luxury resort w/beach?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 26th, 2000, 02:33 PM
Michelle

My husband and I are taking our 1st anniversary vacation (honeymooned in BVI intimate caribbean island). We don't want to spend the $$$ to go back, and would love any helpful suggestions for a luxury hotel or resort in the Keys. 3 nights in Key West, and 4 at another key. I was in Islamorada 8 years ago, but it was a budget trip... Anything on the water with a beautiful beach.
By the way, anyone hear of John Pennicamps water state park in Key Largo? Went snorkeling then, how is it now?

Old Feb 26th, 2000, 05:42 PM
susan

If a great beach is important to you, you're probably going to be disappointed in the Keys. All the beaches there are man-made with imported sand. The keys themselves are coral. Having said that, there are two really nice places in Islamorada: the Cheeca Lodge and the Moorings, which is next door. The Moorings is wonderful if you want absolute solitude...it has cottages and a private beach. The Cheeca Lodge is more resort-like with a restaurant, golf course and lots of activities for children. In Key West, I'd suggest trying the Ocean Key House, although it has no beach at all. In fact, the only resort in Key West with any real beach is the Wyndham and it isn't within close walking distance of the tourist attractions or restaurants. If you try booking at the Ocean Key House be sure to specify what kind of room you want because they're renovating and have lots of different options. Same holds true with the Pier House...they have some great rooms and some awful ones. The Hyatt is also really nice...next door to the Pier House and down from the Ocean Key House. All these places are on Front Street...on the Gulf side.

Old Feb 26th, 2000, 06:45 PM
JoAnn

The "Best" luxury resort in the Keys, in my opinion--and only from what I've heard and read is Little Palm Island. Go to www.littlepalmisland.com
Or the Hyatt or Hilton in Key West...but they have no beaches. There are many wonderful B & B's and Inns in Key West. Check www.keywest.com for lodging

Old Feb 27th, 2000, 04:38 AM
cmcdaniel

I've heard the same about Little Palm Island, but also heard a room rate (on this board) of $700/night! I have a '98 FL guide that lists it as $330-575 suite for two off season, or $495-$645 in season. 30 suites (28 bungalows, 1 poolside suite, 1 houseboat suite).

We've stayed at the Hyatt..rooms are very nice with an island feel to them. There is a beach actually, but it's miniscule. Still, its sand and leads to water, albeit with a sign warning of sea urchins...

Old Feb 27th, 2000, 06:30 AM
susan

I spoke with someone recently who'd stayed at Little Palm Island and said the water surrounding it was so shallow and full of seaweed that it wasn't suitable for swimming. That's a lot of $$$$ for an island experience sans swimming! Maybe the seaweed was just a temporary problem. Until I heard that, I would've agreed that this place was the best in the keys. Another option if solitude is attractive to you would be the Hilton cottages on Sunset Key, which is a 10 minute ferry ride from Key West. Again, though, the beach isn't much to brag about. And before you make final plans, if you want to stay in Key West and swim in the ocean, you should check to see if the e-coli warning signs are up again. I've seen at least one post saying they just went back up last week.

Old Feb 28th, 2000, 08:51 AM
Neal Sanders

Michelle, I've been to Little Palm Island twice over the past half dozen years. First, the "beach" is only about 100 feet long and ten feet wide, but the lure of LPI isn't the beach; it's the other amenities (and no, there's no seaweed). LPI is an island about half a mile off of mile market 28 (Torch Key). The rooms are thatched huts, two suites per hut, 32 rooms in all. The reefs at Looe Key are about two miles distant, and Looe Key is the best diving and/or snorkeling in the Keys, far superior to Pennekamp Park.

LPI offers sailboats, canoes and other sports (no tennis, however, as the island is just five acres). There is a network of boardwalks to take you through the mangroves.

The food is what attracts the return visitors. The chef is Swiss but thoroughly imbued with the spirit of the Keys. The result is food that rates a "wow."

The room rates are $300-400 per night depending upon the time of year, a full American plan (breakfast, lunch and dinner) will add another $200. There are discounts for mid-week stays and shoulder season.

I'd spent 3-4 days at LPI; more than that and you'll likely get island fever. But it is an experience n t be missed; the staff is superb, the facility first rate.

Old Mar 3rd, 2000, 12:57 PM
Michelle's Response:

Thank you all. I guess it boils down to cost as well. For Key West, I have a choice from Hyatt, Hilton, Wyndham, Pier House, Ocean Key (but do any of these have rooms with "Ocean Views"?); then there's Little Palm Island, which is very close, but probably too much $$$$.

In the upper (or middle) keys, I'm still lost for a good place. By the way, what's the difference of Ocean or Gulf view (I think there's also bay views...)?

Old Mar 3rd, 2000, 01:24 PM
susan

The Ocean Key House, Hilton, Hyatt, Pier House, and (another wrench to add) the Galleon all have Gulf views but you have to request them. As you might imagine, those rooms are at a premium. The Wyndham has a water view, but it isn't on Front Street, where all the sunset activities are. Key West is more or less divided into two sections: Old Town and New Town. Old Town is the area closest to the Gulf, and New Town is closest to the Atlantic Ocean. The nicest accommodations, most of the tourist activities, and the majority of restaurants are in Old Town.