Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

Things to see and do;places to eat in Bonita Beach???

Search

Search this Thread

Old Oct 31st, 2012, 09:01 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We will be spending about eight days on Bonita Beach beginning Nov. 7th. We'd be interested in seeing the everglades, possibly deep sea fishing, other top things to see and do and of course eating. We are a couple in our lower 60s and are rather thrifty, so wouldn't be interested in those things that are more expensive. Thanks for any ideas!
Old Nov 1st, 2012, 04:25 AM

We spend the winter in Bonita. Here are a few ideas: Go to Barefoot Beach (don't be put off by the fact that you have to drive through what looks like a private gate). Go to the farthest beach (#4 I think), it's lovely for a walk or swim. Visit the Audubon Corkscrew Sanctuary. Visit Manatee Park Fort Myers, especially after a cool night when these huge creatures congregate. I think the best place for breakfast or lunch is the Survey Cafe (just off Old 41). Dolly's Produce Patch (on Bonita Beach Road) has a good (inexpensive) breakfast. Tony Saccos (at Coconut Point) has great pizza. We go to the beach for sunset most evenings and join the crowd near Doc's on the Beach (we bring our own chairs and cooler!). The Grape at Coconut Point has good food with an early bird special that includes a glass of wine.
Old Nov 1st, 2012, 06:04 AM
Original Poster

Thank you SO MUCH! These are the kinds of ideas that I LOVE!!!
Old Nov 1st, 2012, 05:01 PM

Great choice for a holiday, Brendaann. I agree with the recos for Barefoot Beach, Tony Sacco's and The Grape. Another pizza place we like is Enrico's on W. Terry St at US 41. For dinner, try Café Figaro, in Wiggins Pass Plaza behind Walgreen's. And for more upscale dining at a bargain price, we love Figs Grille in BS, currently offering 2-for-1 entrées. Season will not yet be in full swing when you are here, so you should still find plenty of discount ads/coupons for restaurants.
My recos for breakfast would include First Watch (near Bonefish on 41 in Bonita, and also in Naples at 41 and Immokalee Rd) Another good breakfast place is Old 41 Restaurant, which can be reached from US41 or Old 41, at Bernwood Dr.
Back to the topic of pizza, many of us locals have been eagerly awaiting the (re-)opening of Gatsby's Pizza, now in its new location on Bonita Beach Rd west of 41. Recent updates in the Naples News indicate it could be any day now. Check Gatsby's fb page for more recent info---if you like thin crust pizza, this could be your place !

Welcome to SW FL, and have a wonderful vacation!
Old Nov 2nd, 2012, 07:10 PM
Original Poster

Thank you for your great ideas, too! I still work tonight, will do almost all of our packing tomorrow, hopefully sleep well tomorrow night, and, the Lord willing, we'll be in Florida on Sunday afternoon! Looking forward to trying a lot of these places! There's nothing like personal recommendations!

Brenda
Old Nov 3rd, 2012, 05:44 AM

Have a great trip. Another good place for supper is Coconut Jacks, almost at the ocean on Bonita Beach Road. Don't be put off by valet parking! They have a good menu that includes many affordable options and they are right on the water which is great.