Things to do Oahu, Kauai and Maui??

Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 25th, 2003, 10:22 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

OK, I know you've all probably been asked these questions many times, but I will be a first time visitor to Hawaii and would like some opinions, first off we will be visiting Oahu, Kauai and Maui. We can't decide between the Royal Hawaiian and the Sheraton Waikiki on Oahu, and on Kauai and Maui we can't decide between the Hyatt and the Sheraton. Any advice would be appreciated.

Secondly, I am compiling a list of things to do on each of these islands, here is what I have so far, please let me know if you have anything to add. Oh yeah! We will be on our honeymoon.

OAHU
Visit Pearl Harbor Memorial, tour WWII Submarine
Hike Diamond Head
Snorkeling at Hanauma Bay - Great, we saw sea turtles!
Rent mopeds
Polynesian Cultural Center - see the night show for certain!
Kualoa Ranch (I think that's how it's spelled), the famous valley where many movies have been filmed, it's really beautiful and the Ranch offers many activities.

KAUAI
Dinner at The Beach House Restaurant (make advance reservations)
Movie Tour
Spouting Horn ? Poipu
Hike through Rainforest
Fern Grotto
Tour Baby Grand Canyon
Sail up the Na Pali Coast (northern shorline) or do Helicopter Tour
(You must SEE the famous coastline, it is REALLY spectacular, and can only be reached by boat, hiking or helicopter).

MAUI
Road to Hana
Old Lahaina Luau (make advance reservation)
Snorkle at Black Rock (Sheraton Hotel)
Snorkle at Molokini

I really appreciate the help!! Thanks
Tiffany
Old Apr 25th, 2003, 11:04 AM

The Byodo-In Japanese Temple on Oahu, near Kaneohe, is interesting. It is a replica of a 13th? century Buddhist temple in Kyoto.

On Kauai the top see is Waimea Canyon. Not only Waimea but take the road all the way to the top to Kokee State Park and the lookouts over the Na Pali coast. Some people enjoy the Ferm Grotto, but I think I would probably cut it.

The show "Ula'lena" on Maui is enjoyable.
Old Apr 25th, 2003, 11:09 AM

Hanalei may be your point of departure for your Na Pali Coast cruise. If not, drive up and spend some time in Princeville and Hanalei. If you are going in the summertime I would stay at the Princeville over the Hyatt.
Old Apr 25th, 2003, 11:32 AM

For Kauai, I'd add:
-helicopter tour with InterIsland - no doors for optimal viewing; private waterfall lunch; highlight of the trip
-Friday nite seafood buffet at The Princeville - make advance reservations and get there early for your reservation
-hike 1st 2 miles of Kalalua Trail, then 2 miles to waterfall; 8 miles round trip but very much worth it
-hike Canyon Trail in Waimea; spectacular views inside canyon
-snorkel at Tunnels and Ke'e
-dinner at Coconuts and Pomodoro - nothing fancy, but good

For Maui, I'd add:
-sunrise at Haleakala - may be early but I hope you're not going to Hawaii to sleep; all kidding aside, very much worth it
-snorkel at Fishbowl; great lava hike to get there
-dinner at Sarento's; food almost matches it's spectacular sunset views
Old Apr 25th, 2003, 11:56 AM

A word of advise when hiking Diamond Head, take along a flashlight and water. They do sell those items before beginning the hike and we thought it was just a sales gimmick, but regretted not being better prepared. There were some pitch black areas.

Also, we were informed by one of the hotel staff that Black Rock was for the really experienced snorkelers due to rough waters so we didn't attempt it.

We did the helicopter ride around Maui which was also spectacular.
Old Apr 25th, 2003, 07:26 PM

As far as the Sheraton or Hyatt on Kauai, most folks would agree the Hyatt is more luxurious and beautiful. There are some major differences, such as, the beach at the Sheraton is far better for swimming than the one in front of the Hyatt, the rooms at the Hyatt are nicer, the restaurants at the Hyatt are also better in my opinion, the grounds at the Hyatt are very nice and the pool area is great. The Sheraton cannot match the grounds and pool areas of the Hyatt. That being said, the Sheraton is likely more affordable, and really is a fine hotel if you want to be more frugal. However, if you do choose the Sheraton, get an ocean front room. Their garden rooms are out back across the street from the building housing the ocean front rooms. I must add that I think the beach in front of the Sheraton is one of the best on the South Shore, a small cresent shaped sandy beach with managable waves.
Old Apr 26th, 2003, 05:51 AM

Sheraton hotel on maui is my pick. Oahu either one. Same for Kauai.

You made a great plan i see you have reading up a lot.Kauai i would suggest go to kee beach north main hwy. dead ends there. Once there and finding a parking spot( can be very crowded) plan a hike up the napali mountain ridge (a sign points the way) the views are unbeliveable)hike till you stop smilling and turn back, many water falls along the way so good tennis shoes are a must.Then when you get down walk 200 feet to a great snorkle beach and eat the lunch you brought with you.You know that everone wants to see turtles when snorkeling, well kee beach is protected by a reef and just one the other side of the reef , you will encounter many ( i saw at least 10 turtles) and lots of fish.2ND on kauai we did the helicopter 45 minute trip and then drove the baby canyon, we chose the mountain ridge,sacred falls hike(moderate to hard)and i cant say how humbling an experience it was ,along with the awsome beauty of looking out over the canyon and getting to the last sacred water fall,and bathing in the pools.

On maui bring food 2-3 meals per. person, drive all the way arround, get a cd for your rental car to direct you on the stops.Just one pointer when the cd ends at hana the adventure does not stop.From that point on we found several yes several black sand beaches, you have to look for them there below the road, but not hard to see.
have fun nick
Old Apr 26th, 2003, 06:05 AM

Tiffany,

Whatever you do..do not stay at the Sheraton Waikiki. We were supposed to stay there 5 nights during our honeymoon, and checked out the next day. It was terrible. We had a non-smoking room that totally smelled liked smoke and they couldn't switch our room because the place was booked up. The room was noisy as heck and there was a quarter size gap underneath the door. The room was old and poorly decorated. All this for a couple hundred dollars a night. NOT WORTH IT!

Amy
Old Apr 28th, 2003, 07:37 AM
Kal

Aloohaaa,
Don't forget about the ATV tours on Kauai.
You golf? Nice courses on Kauai.

One of these days I'll have the cajones to take the glider tour?
I understand there are tubing rides on Kauai now? (vivi?)

Ditto Doug's suggestion on Coconuts. The Lobster raviolis are "ono"!
BBQ at Aussie Tim's is also a good and inexpensive meal.

HukiLau at the Coconut Beachboy had good grub but you gotta "hang loose" with the service.

243!
Kal
Old Apr 28th, 2003, 11:16 AM
Original Poster

Thank you all so much!! There's so much to do! I didn't realize you can rent ATVs on Kauai, my fiance rides back home so he will love that!!
Old Apr 28th, 2003, 01:47 PM

The Sheraton Maui is wonderful. We've stayed at the Sheraton Kauai too. It was very nice, but if you can get the Hyatt go for it. If not, you won't be disappointed with the Sheraton Kauai. I agree with forgetting Fern Gratto - very hokey and not worth your time or money. If you are going to do a helicopter ride, Kauai is the island to do it! We went through Will Squires and it's wonderful! You can also do a boat tour to the coast with snorkeling - I suggest using Captain Andy's. They have a great boat and a wonderful staff. We've done that 2 years in a row!! On Maui - you have to eat at Longi's in Lahania - I just made a dinner from their cookbook last night. Great food.

On the Road to Hana - don't turn around in Hana - keep going and you'll see another more "desert" like side of the island - it's wonderful. They say the road there is not really good - but it was fine and it leads you to the winery. It's breathtaking.