Reload this Page >

Things to do in Ft. Lauderdale.

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 22nd, 2000, 10:36 AM
Hank

My family and I are going to Ft. Lauderdale for the first time. We're looking for recommendations for activities and food. Also, does anyone have any info on the Lago Mar resort?

Old Jan 23rd, 2000, 03:20 AM
JoAnn

A couple of things we enjoyed last year was the water taxi ride from the furthest point ($14 PP for unlimited boarding and re boarding)to the Las Olas area. We got wonderful descriptions and views of some magnificent homes along the waterway. We got off and ate at the marina--downstairs, late lunch (cheaper than supper) and watched the waterway traffic. We also ate at the *Original Pancake House* a couple of times. Try their Almond French toast! We didn't get to the Bass Pro shop there, but if it's as good as the one in Springfield MO, it's worth the trip.

Old Jan 28th, 2000, 08:53 AM
Adam

I have been to Ft. Lauderdale a couple of times. I can tell you that it is one of the nicest beaches in Florida. You should check out the International Swimming Hall of Fame. It is right there on the main Strip on Ft. Lauderdale beach. Also The Sawgrass mills Mall (This place is huge) is a cool place to go while you are there.

Old Jan 28th, 2000, 10:13 AM
Leah

Hank,
Our family went to Fort Lauderdale for a week last summer and had a wonderful time. I too looked into Lago Mar. It jad wonderful reviews, but we finally decided to stay at the Radisson Bahia Mar. It was an excellent choice. A wonderful hotel located right on the beach and in the center of lots of great places to walk. Things to do... Our favorite passtimes were the beach and associated water activities; walking A1A and watching all of the people - that it great!; shopping at the wonderful botiques and quaint little shops, laying in the sun, laying in the sun, and laying in the sun. For a "quickie" meal we enjoyed Sloppy Joes located at Beach Place. They have a wonderful upstairs, outdoor patio that sits right on the ocean. Their key lime pie is very good! We also enjoyed Pussers On the Beach for an evening meal. It too sits on the beach and the seafood was very good without really busting the wallett. You will have a wonderful time. I can't post my e-mail (work rules), but if you have any additional questions, please post here and I will try to help if possible. You will have a great time. We will be going back again one day....... Leah p.s. The Fort Lauderale web page is sunny.org. It has some pretty good information.

Old Jan 28th, 2000, 06:43 PM
Hank

Thank you all for the information.

Old Jan 29th, 2000, 11:53 AM
valerie

I live near fort lauderdale; as a transplanted "native," I can suggest the following: If you appreciate good food in a contemporary setting, try Max's Grille at One Beach Place, or Himmarshee Grill near Las Olas Riverfront. Check out a show at the Broward Center for the Performing Arts, just a short stroll from the Las Olas Riverfront area. Make an evening of it, dinner and a play. Or go to the 22 screen theater for a first-run movie. Stadium seating!If you're a sports fan, you can see the Miami Heat play at their new home, a beautiful Bayfront arena literally across from a neat shopping/restaurant area in Miami, or venture out west to see the Panthers play hockey (near Sawgrass Mills Mall). If you're an outdoorsy type, find the Ann Kolbe Nature Center near Hollywood Beach, which offers really cool canoing trails, biking trails, etc. in unspoiled Florida parkland. Have fun, and remember your sunscreen!