Notices

Things to do around Baltimore

Old Mar 7th, 2002, 07:33 AM
ETO

Things to do around Baltimore

I am traveling to Baltimore with a friend who will be attending a conference. We'd like to spend the following weekend exploring some of the area around Baltimore/DC that we have seen yet. We've spent some time in Annapolis and lots of time in DC so are looking for other suggestions. We'll be flying out of Baltimore on Sunday. Anyone have any suggestions?

Thanks,
ETO

Old Mar 7th, 2002, 07:39 AM
George

Smith Island. Go down to Crisfield on the eastern shore and catch one of the mailboats over to Ewell or Tangier. Pig out on crabs. And not-so-incidentally, see a way of life that's slowly disappearing....

Old Mar 7th, 2002, 08:20 AM
Lynn

Go to Little Italy (in Baltimore) for dinner one evening. There are countless restaurants to choose from. If you love Italian food, you'll have a really good time. You'll need to choose a restaurant in advance so that you can call and make a reservation.

Old Mar 7th, 2002, 08:35 AM
Ess

Hi, Eto!

I hope you don't mind my piggybacking on your post. I was just about to ask if anyone on the board is from the Baltimore area, and what's good to do over a weekend, and saw your post here. I'm thinking of going down the last weekend in April so I can catch JMW Turner exhibit. I am mad for that artist and don't want to miss it.

So, topping for ETO (and me!) I'm primarily interested in good places to eat lunch and dinner on Saturday, pubs or bars with live music for Sat. pm, and a nice Sunday morning place for breakfast. Also, can we get around without a car. Thanks in advance!

Old Mar 7th, 2002, 08:39 AM
Jim

Visit the greatest hospital in the world, Johns Hopkins. And then visit the NICU for serious ill and retarded children and then thank God for your good fortune.

Old Mar 7th, 2002, 09:52 AM
Johnlw

I posted this last week. It is all good, especially the Visionary Art Museum.

Message: You can walk to Cross Street Market, in South Balitmore, Federal Hill. Get a map, it is just south of the inner harbor.

If you take a cab or bus up Charles Street, you can visit the Walter's Art Gallery (just remodeled) and further up near Johns Hopkins campus, the Baltimore Museum of Art. There is a cool railroad museum just west of the inner harbor, the Babe Ruth house, and there is a museum of industry on Key Highway (long walking distance).

Best of all, though, go to the Visionary Art Museum at the base of Federal Hill, across the harbor. It is a blast and a half. It has a super cool restaurant. Get a AAA book and enjoy.

Old Mar 7th, 2002, 06:20 PM
washingtonian

What Turner exhibit? where in Balmore? When is it over?

Old Mar 8th, 2002, 06:11 AM
Ess

Washingtonian, there is an exhibit of Turner's paintings (mostly works on paper, some oils on canvas) on loan from the Tate currently being shown at the Baltimore Musuem of Art. It's on until May 26th. I read a review of the show in last friday's NY Times (you may be able to acess it online, not sure). You can visit the museum site at www.artbma.org.

Old Mar 8th, 2002, 06:21 AM
Ess

P.S. John, thanks for the recommendations - I did a search for "Baltimore" but I don't have good luck with the search function here.

Old Mar 8th, 2002, 07:04 AM
josh

crab cakes, garlic crabs (obryckis), federal hill and fells point are great walking aras; fort mchenry, camden yards

Old Mar 8th, 2002, 07:57 PM
pete

Baltimore has some great neighborhoods and restaurants/bars for entertainment. My recommendations: Friday Happy Hour: Cross Street Market (you can get 20 oz beers for $2.50, they have crabs, shrimp, other seafood that you can get steamed at the bar & eat, also a good sushi bar), other restaurants: John Stevens (Seafood in Fell's Point), Nacho Mama's (Mexican in Canton), Amicci's (Italian in Little Italy and Canton). There are lots of bars in Federal Hill, Fell's Point and Canton. A fun place to go is to the 13th floor of the old Belvedere hotel. It's a bar and they have live music on the weekends. It has a panoramic view out over the city. Have fun!

Old Mar 9th, 2002, 05:54 AM
Daniel Williams

Ess--

Yes you'll be able to get around fine without a car and even see most points of interest in the city. The Inner Harbor, Fell's Point, Fort McHenry are all on a water taxi route. Downtown (Lexington Market, Camden Yards, Ravens Stadium etc.), Federal Hill (Cross St. Market etc.), Mount Vernon (Walter's Art Gallery etc.)and Little Italy are all within easy walking distance of the Inner Harbor. They've even started a shuttle bus called DASH which goes to popular downtown attractions (50 cents). Check out www.godowntownbaltimore.com for more info.

Even some outlying areas of interest can be accessed without a car. Mount Washington village is located right next to the light rail stop. Hampden can be accessed during the day by getting off at Woodberry light rail and taking the shuttle bug (Hampden neighborhood shuttle). The main drag in Canton is about a 25 minute walk from Fell's Point. Baltimore Museum of Art is about a $7 cab ride or you can take the #3 or #11 bus ($1.35 per ride or $3 for unlimited use all-day pass). Be warned that the #3 and #11 don't run frequently on Sunday or after 7pm (about one every 30-40 min.).

Have fun. DAN

Old Mar 9th, 2002, 07:04 AM
Stephanie P.

ETO:

All these recommendations are at Inner Harbor. I am amazed that no one mentioned the Aquarium, definately go there. There is WWII submarine that you can explore. On some weekends U.S. or foreign militaries bring their ships into port and they allow you on board to tour. Definitely go to Little Italy, the food is good.

Old Mar 9th, 2002, 11:36 AM
Carla

ETO- I'd like to know where you are from because then I could gauge what you might like. I am originally from Baltimore now living in New Jersey, just outside Manhattan. I visit "home" regularly and have a few suggestions. First of all, if you like art, visit the Walter's Art Gallery. There is a fabulous exhibit of Impressionists(Renoir, Corot,Monet, Manet, etc.) on tour there now. I would recommend purchasing the audio tour as it is so well done. The Walter's always does such a wonderful job with its exhibits. As for food, it can be very iffy. I am so used to eating in New York that it is hard to find a restaurant that lives up to my expectations in Baltimore. You certainly will not find the quality or variety that you would in DC. My suggestions would be Charleston or the main restaurant in the Harbor Court Hotel. Little Italy is way too touristy for me and will seldom give you a good, authentic Italian meal- I'm too spoiled having just returned from Italy. You will pay a lot of money for poor food. Try to eat an authentic Maryland crab cake. They are wonderful and depending upon the time of the year- soft shelled crabs.
Another suggestion that you probably will not have time for is to spend a couple of days at The Inn at Perry Cabin in St. Michaels, MD. It is a world class inn with a tasting menu to die for. I believe it was originally owned by Laura Ashley's widower and has since been bought and renovated by the Orient Express Chain. I believe it now has tennis courts and a spa. If you are fortunate enough to spend a night there- take advantage of a chartered sail on the bay- the inn is right on the Chesapeake and has its own dock. It is about 90 min southeast of Baltimore.