Search

Theatre help!

Search this Thread

Old Feb 10th, 2004, 12:15 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Theatre help!

I will be in Chicago Easter week-end, Fri. thru Mon. Could anyone suggest any good theatre they have seen? Has anyone seen Over the River and Through the Woods or I Love You, You're Perfect, Now Change?
Old Feb 10th, 2004, 12:47 PM

I saw I Love You You're Perfect several years ago (in NY not Chicago, but that doesn't really matter) and thought it was very funny, especially for couples.
Old Feb 10th, 2004, 12:52 PM

How funny. Both these are by the same playwright. I Love You, You're Perfect. . . is a very funny and very clever musical -- more of a review of separate sketches, than an actual play or story line. Mainly about dating and marriage.

Over the River. . . is equally funny, but not a musical. It is the story of a young man who wants to move away from his two sets of New Jersey Italian grandparents for a job opening in Seattle. The grandparents do everything to keep him there -- including trying to find him a girl. Touching and warm as well as very funny. And all they do through the entire play is eat Italian Food. (eat first or you'll get hungry watching them).
Old Feb 10th, 2004, 03:36 PM

Haven't seen Over the River, but saw I Love You, You're Perfect in Boston and it was great. My husband and I thoroughly enjoyed it.
Old Feb 10th, 2004, 05:36 PM

Over the River... has posted a closing date of Feb. 29. A lot of shows here run only 3-4 weeks, so check those theatre listings in early March. Try
http://www.chireader.com/listings/static/listings.html
Old Feb 11th, 2004, 05:42 AM

Over the River seems to be open ended, the theater's website says it is running through March 31 but Ticketmaster only has tickets listed through Feb 29. But it's possible that it will get extended through April so you might check back later.

Blue Man Group is another option.

Another good website for theater is www.chicagoplays.com, you can search by date.

You might also want to check out www.hottix.org, they often have 1/2 price same day tickets for a lot of the longer running shows.
Old Feb 11th, 2004, 06:33 AM

Saw I Love You, You're Perfect, Now Change in Chicago at the Royal George the last weekend in January. It's an excellent production and will still be playing Easter weekend. For other options, go to the theater link at www.metromix.chicagotribune.com