Theater on Sunday, July 2

Old Jun 1st, 2006, 01:29 PM
Original Poster

Theater on Sunday, July 2

I'll have one day in Manhattan on Sunday, July 2. I moved away from NY 35 years ago, and have visited only a few times since, so I'm looking forward to the day -- yes, I know it will be hot -- I worked at 42nd and Fifth for three years.

Question: I'd like to try to get a discounted theater ticket at TKTS booth. I want to see one of the following, in order of preference: The Light in the Piazza, Mamma Mia!, Dirty Rotten Scoundrels, or Chicago. Do you think a ticket to one of these will be difficult or easy to get?

New York pizza -- any suggestions on where to get the slice of my dreams? A New York bagel? A canolli? Chestnuts (oops, wrong month!)

Thanks. Diane
Old Jun 1st, 2006, 01:37 PM

This website may help you answer the "what are the odds" question -
http://www.entertainment-link.com/tkts.asp

If you want to save time, you can go ahead and order online. I noticed there are discounted tix for the Sunday afternoon for The Light in the Piazza.
Old Jun 1st, 2006, 02:14 PM

You're facing an interesting situation with The Light in the Piazza. Normally, you'd have no problem getting a ticket at TKTS for the. However, July 2 is the final performance of that show! Thus, there's a chance that it might sell out. Since that is your first choice and the fact the the final performance of any show can be a really special experience, I would recommend going to www.broadwaybox.com and get a ticket for the discounted price of $70. And, I'd do it now. Sure, it's more than a TKTS price, but as I say, the final performance can be a memorable experience.
Since it's #1 on your list, I wouldn't take the chance.
If you decide not to take my advice, then I'd say that you'll have an excellent chance of getting a ticket for either Dirty Rotten Scoundrels or Chicago at TKTS that day; iffy for Mamma Mia.
Old Jun 1st, 2006, 03:36 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for the advice. Now I need to think about if I want to purchase in advance. Yes, the closing performance can be special.
Old Jun 1st, 2006, 05:22 PM

With only one day, I can't imagine why you'd want to waste any of it standing in line. Why not just buy discounted tickets through broadwaybox.com whether for Light in the Piazza or DRS.

A slice of pizza is trickier than a pie. John's, Lombardi's and Grimaldi's are the famous 3 and none sell slices, only whole pies. Try joe's pizza
carmine st off of bleecker in the village.

Bagel, H & H, Ess-A-Bagel. Canolli? According to NY Mag. here
http://nymag.com/bestofny/food/2006/cannoli/index.html