The Village - restaurant rec.

Mar 19th, 2002, 06:44 AM
R'nR

The Village - restaurant rec.

Travelling to see the tribute of lights 3/23 and plan to have dinner afterward - any special place you'd suggest? Price no object - gosh, like Bogie in Casablanca , I've waited all my life to say that line. Thank you.

Mar 19th, 2002, 07:07 AM
Kate

Just a couple of ideas, perhaps not so much according to price,but ones that I like and that have a nice atmosphere..there are others here with plenty of great ideas..
Balthazaar ..see,be seen scene,great French bistro ambience.Reserve!
Zoe...very nice,good good food.
Provence..because I love the food,the atmosphere,the waiters are nice,they let us sit and talk without bothering us.
Pastis-Meat Packing area. very cool,French hip,gotta look good to go there!
One If By Land,Two If By Sea, romantic,landmark building,good good food.
Gee-my mind is coming up so blank..hope others think of more choices for you.
Have a wonderful time and don't forget to pucker those lips!
Wrong movie,right?

Mar 19th, 2002, 07:25 AM
:>

Well, K/SofT, I know a few of those - love Zoe - so will pick from your recs. and make that reserv. today - and yes, Steve, it's another one, but the pucker is universal and all-purpose - I can hear the engines and props firing up on that DC-3, and Bogie making his line. Talk with you in June, I suppose. Oh, heck, anybody out there who would like to communicate - reply to: Desperate.

Mar 19th, 2002, 07:29 AM
Scarlett

Well sugar-if you say you are desperate, you will most likely attract some interesting answers
I ,for one, never show them I am that interested..it keeps those boys under control,know what I mean?
Ya'll have fun in New York City, the lights are a special and heartbreaking sight, the people are good,the food and entertainment is good..
why if I didn't love my Tara so much, I would live there in a minute!

Mar 19th, 2002, 08:11 AM
:>

Thanks for the update on the city - it will be terrific - happy to be coming. Oh, I know, I know, that lack of interest - why, some say it is the most cha-hmin' of southern qualities - a trait I remember quite well. Ah, those were the days!?

Mar 19th, 2002, 08:29 AM
ryan

There are several good places in the Village and Tribeca. (The restaurants in Tribeca can porbably use a bit more help.)

I like Flor De Sol at 361 Greenwich St. It's a very funky Spanish restaurant with good tapas and sangria. City Hall, an American-Continental, on Duane is also good.

If you are looking in the Village, I like the food at Chez Michallet, a tiny French place just off Christopher and Hudson.

For a good Northern Italian, try Da Silvano, on 6th Avenue. If its a nice night, the outdoor tables are great. Although it can cater to a celebrity crowd, it isn't particularly snooty.

Mar 19th, 2002, 11:02 AM
topper

Topping~

Mar 19th, 2002, 11:19 AM
Neil

I highly recommend Babbo on Waverly Place and Lupa on Thompson Street. Both are out of this world Italian restaurants owned by chef Mario Batali of the Food Network. Both take reservations for their rear dining rooms (good luck!) or first come first serve for tables in the front near the bar.

Mar 19th, 2002, 04:16 PM
topping

topping

Mar 19th, 2002, 06:45 PM
lisa

If you're interested in a restaurant in the Village (as I assumed by your title) and money is no object, what about Il Mulino?

Mar 19th, 2002, 06:56 PM
S

There is a bistro called Jean Claude owned by Jean Claude Velli.It is on Sullivan St I think, check it out, it is very good.Very French.
Be happy~

Mar 19th, 2002, 07:40 PM
jersey

Does Mario Batelli still own PO on Cornelia St? We had a great dinner there a couple yrs ago

Mar 19th, 2002, 08:33 PM
c

Yes he does, and it is still excellent.C

Mar 20th, 2002, 09:39 AM

topping

Mar 20th, 2002, 09:43 AM
emmy

If you're looking for something in the village--try the Cowgirl Hall of Fame, it's very fun though a tad overdone, but get reservations, it's very popular because many celebrities, especially in the country music world, frequent it.

Mar 22nd, 2002, 07:34 PM
Cathy

We went to Po over a year ago (Thanksgiving 2000) and Mario Batali had just sold out; my understanding is that he is no longer associated with that place and is concentrating on his other restaurants.

Our lunch was fabulous, nevertheless...