Search

The Suffering Suitcase – A Short Story by P_M

Search this Thread

Old Sep 28th, 2006, 06:25 PM
P_M
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The Suffering Suitcase – A Short Story by P_M

“Please sir, stop this torture, I can’t take it anymore, or I shall EXPLODE!!” cried Mr. P_M’s overstuffed suitcase.

On the evening of September 28, 2006, Mr. and Mrs. P_M were packing for their big adventure on the Big Island. Mrs. P_M, a rehabilitated over-packer, was folding her clothing neatly and gently placing things inside her small bag, using great care not to over pack. Mrs. P_M’s suitcase was quite happy and excited about its trip to Hawaii.

Mr. P_M however, was of a different nature, as he had little regard for the condition of his suitcase. Mr. P_M had always been an obsessive overpacker, but he thought he had his problem under control. But on the evening in question, Mr. P_M had an overpacking episode that got way out of hand, and tragedy nearly occurred.

The evening’s madness began when Mr. P_M packed several pair of jeans. Then he packed 5 pair of his bulky, size 12 shoes, along with a pair of hiking boots the size of tree trunks. Then came the shirts, socks, underwear, snorkels, masks, etc. etc. etc. The list goes on and on. Mr. P_M’s suffering suitcase was screaming, “No more, PLEASE, I just can’t take any further abuse!! Do I look like a Samsonite? NOOO, I am but a cheesy knock-off bag purchased at Wal Mart by your cheap wife!!” >

<hey wait a minute, I resemble that remark… OK, back to the story>

Mr. P_M was merciless toward the suffering suitcase. His eyes glazed over as he thrust his items deeper and deeper into the overstuffed bag. It was as if he couldn’t hear the suffering suitcase begging and pleading for help. Or perhaps he just didn’t care if it were to burst at the seams. One can only imagine what goes through the mind of an overpacking madman at moments such as these.

Mrs. P_M stood on the sidelines and watched helplessly and in horror. She tried to remain silent, but finally she couldn’t take it any more. She begged Mr. P_M to stop—just STOP before the suitcase explodes!! Tempers flared and accusations of luggage abuse flew. It was an ugly scene.

Eventually the dust settled, the P_M’s were able to have a more rational discussion about the problem. Mrs. P_M finally mustered the courage to explain to him that he does not need 14 changes of clothes for a 1 week trip, especially since the P_M’s will have a washer and dryer in their rented condo. Mr. P_M was in denial at first, claiming that he doesn’t have a problem and he has NOT overpacked. But Mrs. P_M persisted, and he soon came to realize the error of his ways. He reluctantly allowed Mrs. P_M to assist him in re-packing his bag. And when the re-packing was done, he acknowledged the ease of carrying the newly re-packed suitcase.

The P_M’s are now packed and ready for their trip, and there will be no exploding suitcases. So the P_M’s and their cheap luggage will live happily ever after.

Thank you for reading P_M’s short story.

The End
Old Sep 28th, 2006, 06:38 PM
sistahlou

clapping, clapping, clapping!!!!

Good times indeed
Safe journey and happy peeing!

g'lou

Old Sep 28th, 2006, 06:39 PM

Love it!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old Sep 28th, 2006, 06:40 PM

What a hilarious story! And, a wonderful and sweet ending.

I am amazed. You are both packed and ready to go - and it's not close to midnight. I can't relate to that productivity!

LOVE the origin of Mr P M's suitcase - and the way you described it!

Again, aloha!
Old Sep 28th, 2006, 06:58 PM
P_M
Original Poster

<bowing>

Thank you very much, all. So glad you liked my story.

And thank you, starrsy for helping me to choose the BI for our vacation. I'll be logging off soon and I'll probably be off the board until I return. Take care, all.

Old Sep 28th, 2006, 06:59 PM

Mr. P_M needs six pairs of shoes for a one week vacation? OMG.

Have fun Mr. and Mrs. P_M!

Jorr
Old Sep 28th, 2006, 07:01 PM
P_M
Original Poster

Hi jorr, we were posting at the same time. When we repacked, DH did cut back on his shoe inventory but not as much as I had hoped. Thanks for the good wishes.
Old Sep 28th, 2006, 07:04 PM

Bravo! Bravo!

Have fun!
Old Sep 28th, 2006, 07:26 PM

P_M,

The first step is admitting that you have a problem!!! Funny story! There is nothing worse than a holier than thou reformed overpacker..does she want you to go to meetings? Have a great trip, don't forget to pack some dryer sheets so your clothing doesn't get static cling!
Old Sep 28th, 2006, 07:30 PM

Bravo Bravo...Author Author =D>
Old Sep 28th, 2006, 09:16 PM

P_M and Mr P_M

I do hope you have a wonderful time - you really deserve it.

Best wishes to both of you
Old Sep 28th, 2006, 10:30 PM

What a great short story! Love the happy ending!

>< >< ><

Have a wonderful time in paradise!
Old Sep 28th, 2006, 10:55 PM

Very Dickensian. The Little SuitcaseThat Could.
Oh, to be Mrs P_M's happy and excited suitcase, going to the BI.
Have a great trip, Mr and Mrs P_M's luggage. May you carry home many wonderful trip souvenirs, both literal and figurative.

Old Sep 29th, 2006, 12:19 AM

Old Sep 29th, 2006, 02:42 AM

LOL.

Enjoy!
Old Sep 29th, 2006, 03:57 AM

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post
Great story!
Have a good trip!!
Old Sep 29th, 2006, 04:10 AM

=D> Next time we want pictures too!
Old Sep 29th, 2006, 04:27 AM

She (and her suitcase) are boarding right now for their 8:40am departure.

May their flight be on time!
[-o<
Old Sep 29th, 2006, 04:45 AM

Too funny, P_M!
Old Sep 29th, 2006, 05:52 AM
emd

P_M, you and GoTravel should get your husbands together for a beer. Mr GoT did the same thing on their camping trip, the "more is better, you can never have too many camping chairs" thinking. They would get along great.

I hope you are taking an empty bag for the things you'll bring home, since the suticases are so full already!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -