Reload this Page >

The Precipice - Acadia National Park, Maine

Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 30th, 2002, 09:38 AM
hiker

Anyone ever hiked The Precipice at Acadia National Park in Maine? Backpacker.com describes it as a 4 out of 5 on its scale of difficulty but says it is definitely NOT for the faint of heart. A non-technical climb with narrow ledges and hand rails in some spots, however the payoff is 360 degree views of Desert Island from the top. The climb itself is less than one mile but I am really interested in how frightening it may be. Years ago I did the hike to the top of Half Dome in Yosemite. Now that was scarry, but I was 15 years younger, 30 pounds lighter and slightly more foolish. Nevertheless, the payoff at the top of The Precipice sounds like the effort may be worth may be worth it. Anyone ever tried it, or heard about it?

Old Apr 30th, 2002, 09:47 AM
Lesley

I don't know about fear while on the slope but as a summer resident in Maine, I get queasy reading the Elleswoth American (newspaper) reports every year. We can't help noticing that there is always an injury and some years, a death, attributed to this climb. You can see just fine lower down...this is definitely for very fit pros-and watch the weather.

Old Apr 30th, 2002, 10:15 AM
Liz

Not that I would do it, but it always seems to be closed when we're there late July-August. I think it's because of an (eagle/hawk/falcon) nest. Hard to imagine that it would be scarier than half-dome.

Old Apr 30th, 2002, 10:23 AM
Liz

Forgot to mention that there are lots of other high points that aren't quite as hard, and get you up higher. Don't remember all the names, but I think ponobscot is the second highest after Cadillac, both have great trails to the top. I know I've misspelled things...

Old Apr 30th, 2002, 10:42 AM
Clousie

Sure know what it's like to be an "out of shape hiker!"

I believe the Precipice is the same as the Beehive, and I've hiked that twice. (In case they're not the same, then I'd definitely recommend the Beehive.)

I don't do exposed heights well (in fact I'm about to reply to someone concerning Angel's Landing in Zion) and we doubted our ability, but it was fine. We had a woman in her 60's with us, and her main problem was being very short and having some difficulty reaching the iron rungs.

It's not a sheer face so going up, there was enough rock around for me to feel "almost" comfortable. The view is wonderful, and fortunately you can go down a much easier route.

Old May 21st, 2002, 12:01 PM
Kim

Haven't hiked the Precipice in 20 years, but remember being totally unprepared for it. Wore shorts and sneakers, got off the trail (not advisable!) and got pretty scratched up. Didn't take that long. Was breathtaking at the top. Coming down was much easier, followed the trail! Pretty safe if you don't do anything stupid. Pick a nice day for the hike! Enjoy!