The Northern Lights?

Search

The Northern Lights?

Search this Thread

Old Jan 9th, 2007, 09:14 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The Northern Lights?

I want to plan a trip for Alaska in October 2007. I browsed through the messages in the Alaska forum, but haven't found too many users discussing the northern lights. I thought it would be one of the biggest attractions in Alaska.

Is there a reason for this? Are the northern lights worth it at all? Or are they a disappointment? If so, where and when is the best time to see the lights? Your input is appreciated.
Old Jan 10th, 2007, 02:04 AM

You can't really "schedule" them. They aren't always "there".
Old Jan 10th, 2007, 02:41 AM

Here's a link to a good info page
http://fairbanks-alaska.com/northern-lights-alaska.htm
Best time is Dec - March. You'll have to be away from city lights. Most people think the best time to visit Alaska is June - August when northern lights would not be visible. Summer nights in Alaska never get dark, just dusky. My husband video taped our view of Denali in late June at 1am. Some popular activities in AK aren't going on in October. It's possible you could visit in March and still not see the lights. If you have never been to Alaska I would not go in October.
Old Jan 10th, 2007, 12:32 PM

I have made "northern Lights" trips twice in Alaska, both times in March. I would suggest IF a priority, you need to allow for at least 2 weeks. They are not a given even in winter. I also highly recommend you DAILY check this site- http://www.gedds.alaska.edu/AuroraForecast/

There is no point in being out with no predicted activitiy.

Lodging is a big point to consider, unless you are willing to get up every night you want to try seeing the aurora and driving. You can not stay in the cities, if you don't have a car.

Fairbanks offers the most spectacular viewing possibilities. Research fully lodging options. Expect to pay double for lodging with unobstructed viewing.

I like March because of the Ice Sculpting Championships www.icealaska.com decent daylight 7a-7p. Tolerating temps. Good selection of daytime activities, snowmobiling, dog sledding etc.
Old Jan 10th, 2007, 12:41 PM

The northern lights are some of the most incredible natural wonders I've ever seen. My viewing has taken place in northern Minnesota and Manitoba, and was never planned. It was the type of thing where something in the North catches my eye, and suddenly I'm mesmorized.

There is some evidence that we're in an area where the northern lights have shifted a little off the pole and are more visible in the eastern hemisphere.. however, being in Alaska, I would be surprised if you didn't catch a glimpse or two, especially in Feb or Mar.

And when they are good, they are really good
Old Jan 10th, 2007, 12:42 PM

FYI - just re-read your post, and October isn't a terrible time to try either... I think they are more active around any equinox period, of which I think early October is one. But please double-check my anecdotal information with a firm source.