COVID-19 Travel Advisory: Stay up to date with the latest on the coronavirus pandemic.   Learn More >

Alaska in March?

Old May 11th, 2007, 10:16 PM
Original Poster

Alaska in March?

I want to head up to Alaska in March next year, hopefully to catch the Northern Lights. I looked through some travel guides, but they don't say anything about traveling in March. Is it because everything is closed in Alaska during that time? Or because it is too cold?

Is it ok to travel there in March?? Thanks!
Old May 12th, 2007, 06:14 AM

It's an awfully big place - anywhere in particular?

Sure, things are open - grocery stores, restaurants, gas stations, schools, hospitals... but many of the tourist-oriented services are shut down. On the other hand, there will probably still be good skiing at Alyeska, or XC skiing in other areas.

It will still be extremely cold in the north, less cold but wet and/or snowy in SE Alaska, most likely cold or possibly muddy around Anchorage (depending on when in March, might be "breakup" time - arguably Alaska at its worst.) OR, you might get clear days and good aurora sightings at night. Days start getting a little longer of course, then after the equinox they start getting longer real quick.

The Fairbanks area is probably your best bet for aurora sighting - look at Chena Hot Springs for instance. But frankly for the best combination of fun and decent weather, I'd come a bit earlier (last week in February) to Anchorage and attend Fur Rondy - http://www.furrondy.net/. Even if the aurora aren't cooperating, you'll still have a fine old time.
Old May 12th, 2007, 09:55 AM

The Iditarod is in March and my sister-in-law, who works in it, says it is a blast and a big party. The party and the press gaither in Anchorage but the restart or real start is in Wasilla. I would book hotel rooms for that NOW.
Old May 12th, 2007, 12:37 PM

IF you can put your trip off until late May, I would do so. We went in late May, and everything was just beginning to open back up. You will miss a lot of the tourist sites if you go sooner.
Old May 17th, 2007, 10:42 AM

I went for 10 days this March - frooze my butt off. It was the coldest March ever in history in Anchorage. The true outdoor experience was using the outhouse at our forest service cabin north of Fairbanks when it was 30 below. Chena Hot Springs was a real gem. Although clear skies every night during my entire stay no lights. Just luck of the draw.
Old May 22nd, 2007, 09:15 AM

If northern lights are your priority, I suggest you allow at least 2 weeks. I've made 2 trips in March and they surpassed all the rest in my opinion.

And I'm just returned yesterday from trip 24.