The Muse (hotel) in NYC

Aug 18th, 2000, 08:09 AM
Kristi

The Muse (hotel) in NYC

Does anyone have information on this new hotel scheduled to open on West 46th Street b/t 6th and 7th Avenues this month? I know it's often perilous to stay in a new hotel, but I found a pretty good rate and it's a great location for our purposes. Is it supposed to be a new hip place? Lush? Just the basics? Any info would be appreciated!

Aug 18th, 2000, 08:32 AM
Owen O'Neill

I don't have a clue but will be in that neighborhood this afternon and will try to pop in and see what it looks like. That's a very convenient location - will advise you here if I get here and have something to report.

Aug 18th, 2000, 10:11 AM
Kristi

thanks so much Owen -- I really appreciate your help!

Aug 18th, 2000, 10:45 AM
Lori

I have been following the progress of this hotel for quite some time since it is directly across the street from my office. It looks like it will be nice - check out their website www.themuse.com

Aug 18th, 2000, 10:47 AM
Lori

Oops - make that www.themusehotel.com

Aug 18th, 2000, 10:52 PM
Owen O'Neill

I scoped it out Friday afternoon before heading off to see some great live music at the new BB King Blues Club on 42nd Street (Texas guitar wizard Eric Johnson). Had a lengthy chat with two workmen who were on break outside (they are working on the project) They described the rooms as cookie cutter luxe modern (I'm translating - not the words they used). They did say that it will be very nice, with the cheapest rooms being tiny (typical for nearly all NYC hotels) and some larger and much more expensive rooms and suites being on upper floors and towards the back. Tis is a very quiet block at night but only a two minute walk from Times Square. The target opening date was today but seeing that boxes of ceiling light fixtures were piled ont he loading dock, the lobby was filled with folded up scaffolding and they hadn't poured the new front sidewalk yet... it will be a bit longer. If they have good prices to get you in there for the first few months, I'd jump on it. Even if there are rough spots in the service, it's not like being at a resort where it becomes a major issue - few of us spend much time at or in the hotel in NYC - there's way too much to do elsewhere!

Aug 19th, 2000, 06:06 AM
Ily

Just steps from the lights of Broadway, The Muse aspires to re-define contemporary convenience and comfort. Opening room rates will range from $295 to $395 with suites priced from $450 to $600; introductory rates will be available mid-August - September 4. Reservations are now being taken at the pre-opening sales office. Telephone: (212) 885-6009. Fax: (212) 885-6159.

the rest of the press release on it is at:

http://www.themusehotel.com/PressRel.htm

Aug 23rd, 2000, 12:38 PM
Kristi

Owen -- can't thank you enough for going
out of your way to check out The Muse.
From your web page and their description, it sounds great. But I'm a little concerned that they aren't answering their phone or e-mail. Might have to wait until our next visit to NYC to try it out unless someone else has inside info.

Oct 11th, 2000, 04:07 AM
sid

I found a great rate for The Muse, but am looking for a review on it anywhere, either a travel site or personal experience. I'm trying to decide between there and the Time Hotel. Any help out there? Thanks!

Oct 11th, 2000, 06:13 AM
steve

Since the Muse is so new it maybe hard to find someone who has stayed there yet. I've stayed at the Time. Our room was small but very well-equipped and attractive. The staff was quite pleasant. The bar seems to be a popular nightspot.

Oct 11th, 2000, 09:41 AM
Patrick

This computer gets me into more trouble. Today came across an American Airlines web special, round trip from Naples, Florida (via Miami - Laguardia non stop)for $191 including taxes. Jumped at it and will be going from Dec. 7 to 12 (5 nights). Immediately called my good old favorite the Marriott Marquis which I'm always raving about on this site and the absolute lowest price I can get is $514 a night including taxes. THIS IS RIDICULOUS! Calls for the Renaissance and Doubletree Suites were virtually the same. And I do want to stay in that immediate area with the December weather and walking to one or two shows every day, etc. Anyway, checked The Muse and got a price of $445 per night including tax. This is for their standard smaller room which they claim is 400 sq. ft which doesn't sound so bad to me. This still seems like a ridiculous price, but the best I have been able to do. Booked it for now. Will be interested in more comments before I go as I check for better rates along the way in the area.

Oct 11th, 2000, 09:57 AM
Annie

Patrick:
Yahoo Travel has the Marquis from 445 on up. The Millenium around the corner has rates of 369.00/up. The Muse from 390.00. The Paramount from 399. etc...Good Luck, I am envious of you....you seem to do a lot of great travel to wonderful places.

Oct 11th, 2000, 11:05 AM
Diane

I usually have a meeting in NYC mid-November, and sometimes another the first week of December. It is always difficult to get rooms that time of year and bargains are few and far between. Busy, busy time in the city. If you find anything that looks good -- grab it! You can always cancel if you find something better closer to your planned trip. Of course, that practice could be one of the reasons hotel rooms in midtown are often so totally booked up...

Oct 11th, 2000, 11:46 AM
steve

I was thinking about going to NYC that same time and after checking the hotel rates decided to alter my dates. I think I saw some slightly better rates on Quickbook, so you might want to check there.

Oct 11th, 2000, 02:00 PM
Patrick

To Annie, yes those Yahoo rates are exactly the rates I was quoted calling direct. I just added on the 13.25% plus $4 occupancy taxes. Except that the Yahoo is $5 cheaper for the Marquis.
Thanks for the comments all.