HELP PLS!-AMERICAN-Statistics on LOST BAGGAGE

Oct 9th, 2000, 09:42 AM
Marilyn

HELP PLS!-AMERICAN-Statistics on LOST BAGGAGE

I've rolled it, twisted it, squeezed it, downsized it, you name it...I've done it. I STILL can't fit my things in my carry on wheeled bag. I HATE to check it in, but it seems I'll have to. Does anyone know, by experience or online numbers or both, what American Airlines (airbus300) statistics are on lost bags. I've gone to their site where they discuss the fleet, etc; but n othing on percentage of bags stolen and/or recovered. Help please. Thank you.

Oct 9th, 2000, 11:15 AM
tweedy

Marilyn you can take more than your carry on on board the plane. I usually take my carryon and a garmet bag. (the garment bag will attach to the weel bag) and I have never had problems with them asking me to check the bag.

I would doubt that there would be stats on the web that would give you that kind of info. I would doubt that the airlines would keep it by type of equipment, and it also will vary by airport.

So relax and take 2 bags that can attach and you can wheel with you.

Have a great trip.

tweedy

Oct 9th, 2000, 01:38 PM
Lori

Marilyn, you can get a few pointers on packing light at this website:
http://www.travelite.org/
Some of the pointers are very helpful, and some are downright bizarre (women- have your dr. put you on the pill so you can regulate your periods to the point of not needing to carry along feminine hygiene products to that third world country; men- why not grow a beard before that vacation so you don't need a razor- and trim that underarm hair so you use less deodorant!), but I admit to reading it through several times! Good luck!

Oct 9th, 2000, 02:31 PM
Marilyn

thanks everyone for touching base.
Tweedy, that is why I'm so embarrassed. I DID have two carry ons..the one with the wheels and a duffle bag. Both weighed horrendously and despite the fact I went back and reviewed, balanced out the weight and removed things in place of small weightless substitutes. I was stuck. You know when you get on the plane and you have to lift the bag to put in the compartment above...that is the part I detest the most and airline stewardesses just aren't as helpful as they used to be years ago..I usually get stuck doing it myself and getting angina pains for it. Thank you again. I'm going to the site suggested right now. Best to all.

Oct 9th, 2000, 02:41 PM
Joe

I realize airline service isn't what it used to be, but I've never had a problem with lost luggage in the 30 years that I've been travelling. I always check my bags. I check it at curbside, and just walk to the gate. I consider it part of what I'm paying for, that the airline will handle my luggage for me.

Oct 9th, 2000, 03:16 PM
Cindy

Marilyn,

You didn't mention how long you'll be away or where you are going, so I can't say if you're overpacking (and you didn't ask that question anyway). But I would suggest that you just go ahead and take the two carry-ons you can handle and check one small suitcase with the overflow. Take all of the usual precautions to prevent loss (watch how they tag it and put ID inside and out), and pack it with stuff you really don't think you'll need.

My experience is that I've never had a bag disappear completely. I've had them lost A LOT, however. We're a big family, so we are often checking 8 things, and we just aren't surprised at all if one or more doesn't make it. We minimize the risk by spreading our stuff out among the bags so no one is left completely without a wardrobe.

Oct 9th, 2000, 03:38 PM
Marilyn

I'm sorry. You're right I didn't..
I'm taking one pair of pants. Two shirts. one sweatpants outfit. one pair of shoes. two pairs of socks. two wall chargers and car chargers. one massage pad for the back (small) toiletries...medications...one camera...a small bag with film and camera battery...will be in Massachusetts for 8 days.

Oct 9th, 2000, 08:31 PM
tweedy

Marilyn you are underpacking. I could easily put all that in my carryon bag (the wheel one) you might think about getting a slightly bigger wheelon, they are getting less expensive these days.

The other option is to buy a few things in Boston to augment what you are taking and then get a tote bag to bring them home. And after all isn't shopping part of the fun of travel. lol, have a fun time in Mass.

tweedy

Oct 10th, 2000, 04:38 AM
howard

I'm with Joe. If I'm on a major trip with two bags, I'll check them. It's worth the slight risk of them being lost for the convenience of not having to carry them around for the hour at the airport before the plane takes off and taking care of them on board. I did lose a bag once many years ago (for which I was reimbursed). Still, I feel the odds are with me. (P.S.: And, yes, I do pack "just in case" items in my carry on, just in case!)

Oct 10th, 2000, 05:21 AM
D

Marilyn...

You need to get over your paranoia of losing luggage. You're the type of person that really irritates me when I fly. You bring these huge carry-ons and hold people up, and use up space that others could be using. If you were just going out of town for a couple of days, I think a carry on is fine. But considering you are going away for 8 days, I think you need to check your luggage in. Get over it...quit being paranoid. And if waiting for your luggage is an issue...then take an earlier flight.

Oct 10th, 2000, 05:25 AM
Horraay!

WELL PUT!!!! JUST CHECK THE DARN THING AND STOP WORRYING!!!!

Oct 10th, 2000, 05:07 PM
Marilyn

D and Hooray: thank you for your understanding and patience with my medical and personal situation. May God repay you for the way you've treated me. God bless everyone else who provided helpful information to me.

Oct 10th, 2000, 05:10 PM
Thomas

Marilyn, please don't let two sourpusses get you down. It's obvious you are trying to NOT be a bother to people when you get on the plan with overloaded carry on bags. I have a suggestion for you regarding the wall charger you mentioned for at least one of your medical problems. Go to a place like radio shack. Take them the wall adapter and ask them if they sell one that is smaller and lighter. If they have one, you can rid yourself of those 10# wall chargers. Good luck and let me know how it goes. Hope you feel better and that everything goes well. Hang in there. We all travel alone sometimes..

Oct 10th, 2000, 06:12 PM
Carter

Marilyn, I will be happy to help you. First of all, what is the size of each of those bags. American goes with 23x13x9, if I'm not mistaken. NO more than 45" around. I've gotten away with more of an inch on the 9" and less of an inch on the 13", so as you see, it's still 45". Measure the bags if you have something to do so with. If not, take them into a store. Do whatever you must do to get this off your mind. YOu certainly seem like someone who is allowing this to bog you down and although understandable, you don't need the added stress. Let me know.

Oct 11th, 2000, 04:07 AM
Jay

Marilyn, figure out what weighs the most and do you really need it. Try to do like Carter said first. Get back to us, please.

Oct 11th, 2000, 04:58 AM
Annie

Hi Marilyn:
It seems to me that you won't have enough clothes for 8 days. Though I try to roll everything. With all the wrinkle free fabrics it's pretty easy. The mechanical stuff probably needs to be treated with care...try rolling your clothes around them. I recently picked up a microfiber rolling bag with detachable backpack at JC Penney. This might eliminate the need for a carry on. It was about $100. Well worth it.
Are the sweat outfits fleece. Thet take up alot of room. Maybe a lined nylon one would be better. You can wear it a few times with different shirts. Don't pack a sweater. Wear it on the plane. Let us know what happens.

Oct 11th, 2000, 02:20 PM
Marilyn

I am checking one bag in..was going to take two carryons..decided against it..one carry on...one inch bigger than they allow, but I think it's one inch shorter on another end. so..about 44" overall. I put an extra duffel in there just in case. God be with me and all those wonderful people here who have been so very patient and helpful to me. will let you all know how it goes. Thank you again.