Reload this Page >

Help planning our FEB 2001 honeymoon!

Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 3rd, 2000, 04:26 PM
Alyson

We are both dying to go to Hawaii for our honeymoon and after reading all of your suggestions I know you can help us. We will be planning to go President's Week for about 12-14 days. We have never gone away together and are looking to make this a fantasy vacation. We are in our late 20's, early 30's, really active and social. We want to go where we will feel like we are in paradise, not obligated to socialize but the option is there, not too much thinking or planning involved, nightlife, activity and we would not like to go broke. We are willing to spend $4000 for the entire trip including airfare (any suggested airlines). Please offer your suggestions!
Thanks

Old Aug 3rd, 2000, 05:16 PM
Bud

5-7 days on Maui, same on Kauai
Check Grand Wailea, Four Seasons, Renaissance on Maui and Hyatt on Kauai
weather can be quite iffy that time of year if you are toward the northern side of either island.
All major US airlines offer about the same mediocre level of service these days. Go with best fare. Try to take advantage of hotel/air package deals.

Old Aug 9th, 2000, 01:27 PM
D Fox

On Hawaii, I'd definitely recommend Kona Village. It is exceptional - but it is also expensive (but then you could just stay there a few days - as we did - we toured the island staying at different places so we could see everything).

In Kona Village, we had a hale (cabin) right by the sea (with a short pad of lava and a couple of coconut trees with a hammock between them separating us from the waves). There is also a really nice beach (good to snorkel off - with green turtles), and it is very relaxed. There are no locks on the hales (so no keys to worry about - but each has a safe) and the two restaurants were very good (food is inclusive, as are water sports, tennis, and other activities). We liked it so much we rearranged things to stay there another night.

We also liked the Hilton Waikaloa Beach resport, further up the coast, which is very Disneyesque with monorail and rail-driven boats to get you around. It has good restaurants (especially the italian), a lovely lagoon for swimming in (lots of green turtles) and a dolphin pool you can also swim in (if you are selected in a lottery and pay the price).

We also stayed at the very nice 'Historic' Shipman House B&B in Hilo (apparently the wettest town in the world - it is in the middle of a rainforest) - excellent breakfasts and the lady running it is chatty and helpful. We moved onto the Volcano House on the rim of the crater. The location is fantastic, but the hotel is rather drab and old fashioned. The volcano itself is incredibly impressive. Of any of the islands, Hawaii is the one you don't want to miss.

If you only have 12 - 14 days, I'd only go to one other island. The question is which one. They are all worth visiting and are different enough that you won't feel you're repeating yourself.

Oahu has the most to do. Waikiki may be a bit of a cliche, but we enjoyed it. There are lots of other things to do outside Honolulu (and don't miss Pearl Harbour/USS Bowfin in it), and some great beaches.

We stayed at the Hyatt Regency hotel on Waikiki, which has great views, comfortable rooms and an excellent chinese/italian fusion restaurant, Ciao Mein.

Other things worth visiting are:
The Polynesian Cultural Centre (we went there expecting it to be crass, but it was very well done - and the food at the Luau was good).
- Waimea Valley (good insight into native plants and agriculture).
- Hanauma Bay (may be crowded - get there early - but easiest way to get close to lots of fish without eating them...).
- Kailua Bay (a really nice beach - good kayaking).

Maui is more laid back, but still very much tourist oriented. We stayed in Lahaina rather than on the beach, so we could walk to all the good restaurants and shops (and to the Trilogy boat which does a really good day trip to Lanai - including snorkelling or diving). The drives round either end of the island are also incredibly scenic. The Aston Maui Islander we stayed at was very good value and in a good location.

Kauai doesn't feel touristy at all, and there isn't as much to do, but do see the spectacular Waimea Canyon. Relax in Hanalei (a beautiful bay, and a nice place to kayak) - good restaurant: Postcards (vegetarian and seafood - pretty place). Go on the Kauai Movie Tour, it is a really entertaining way of seeing the island - where lots of movies have been made, such as Jurassic Park, and you get to see some places you wouldn't otherwise. And it is defintely the best place to do a helicopter tour, which is really the only way of seeing the spectacular scenery of the Na Pali coast. We stayed at the Marriot, which is on a really nice beach and has ahuge pool and a fairly good restaurant - Dukes.

Whichever island you are on, if you see a restaurant called Roy's, (great chocolate soufle) or A Pacific Cafe, don't pass them by....

HTH

dfx.

Old Aug 9th, 2000, 04:46 PM
kam

I also would recommend Honolulu (for the nightlife and party atmosphere since your are on your honeymoon and want to have fun) and the Big Island for many different Hawaiian experiences. The Volcano House is not glamorous, but the volcano is certainly worth seeing. There might still be snow on the top of Mauna Kea in February. Kona is a nice town from which you can go deep sea fishing. The Parker Ranch inland from Kohala Coast looks like Colorado and you can ride horses and have a great time. If you've never been to Hawaii, I think the combo of these two islands will give you the best feel for Hawaii, but you know, you'll have to promise to go back because there's lots more to see. Congrats. BTW make your reservations soon--you'd be surprised at how many of us Californians will take off to Hawaii for Pres. Day weekend! And D. Fox's suggestions above are totally on target. Aloha!

Old Sep 27th, 2000, 07:17 AM
karen

Alyson -

Everything is looking for something different, so I'll throw in my 2 cents worth. We will be making our 15th trip to Kauai this Feb/March and have done most of it and all the islands. You have do decide what you want.

In my (our) opinion, Kauai is the best. By far, it is the most picturesque of the Sandwich Isles. It is also the most romantic and allows you your privacy without the hassle of Honolulu or Maui's Kaanapali area.

If you are looking for high rise hotels/condos, lots of nightlife and crowded beaches, go to Honolulu and Maui's Kaanapali area.

If you are looking for solitude, spectacular scenery, life as it once was on the island, wonderful restaurants, snorkeling, kayaking and premier hiking - do Kauai first. Then try the Big Island's Kohala Coast or Maui's Wailea or Kapalua areas.

You may have to spend a bit more than $4K for two for 17 days with airfare, interisland flights, car rental and good accomodations, but don't shorten your trip. We go for two and a half weeks and always want more and we have only been staying on Kauai for the last four or five years.

Your airfare for two plus car rental will probably run somewhere in the area of $2K - $2500 unless you live on the West Coast. Accommodations in Feb. will be around $150.00 night unless you do a 4 or 5 star hotel and you can spend $300 or more a night not to mention food and activities. Just be prepared.

There are many condos available that allow you to prepare breakfasts and lunches and do dinners out. That is a good option cause you can keep snacks and beer/wine/softdrinks available.

Don't hesitate to contact me if you want.

Old Oct 11th, 2000, 02:42 PM
D

For $4,500 we got 10 days in hawaii
in june 2000. Things are a bit pricey
over there, and Kaanapali in Feb. during
presidents weekend is median age 70-80
years old. Did that once;never again.
I was the youngest person there and I
was 32 at the time.
Kauai is the best, along with the
Big Island. Definitely stay away
from Oahu - Honolulu area. Wouldn't\\