Reload this Page >

The Moorings Islamorada vs Key West

Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 14th, 2002, 10:52 AM
Keely

We would like to hear from anyone who's familiar with The Moorings to comment on whether this resort is really worth staying at, considering we're not interested in fishing and just want a quiet romantic beach vacation with some variety when it comes to meals. We have stayed at Sunset Key cottages (the private island off Key West) and really enjoyed being able to go into Key West for dinner if we felt like some variety, but we do not need night life.

I have heard wonderful things about The Moorings, but I'm not familiar with Islamorada as a place to stay for vacation. We could rent a car for the week and drive down to Key West once or twice. (I love driving down US 1.) But we might be happier just being closer to Key West and staying at Sunset Key. Do you think The Moorings is really worth trying? Any comments welcome.

P.S. We do need a gym & a pool on premises or nearby.

Old Feb 14th, 2002, 11:29 AM
maybe

If you really want to do the island thing look at Little Palm Island off of Little Torch Key.

Old Feb 14th, 2002, 12:03 PM
Keely

Yes - we are in fact considering Little Palm Island, too.

Old Feb 14th, 2002, 01:32 PM
sandy

I would also like to hear from anyone whe has stayed at the Moorings about what the rooms & houses are like

Old Feb 14th, 2002, 01:39 PM
abc

Little Palm Island is wonderful but big bucks. If you can afford it, I wouldnt even look at another place.

Old Feb 15th, 2002, 06:45 AM
Keely

I appreciate all the encouragement about Little Palm Island but I really intended this post to be about The Moorings - any help welcome. Thanks.

Old Feb 15th, 2002, 12:23 PM
bonehead

dont be an ingrate buddy they are just trying to help. i like little palm island too

Old Feb 15th, 2002, 12:33 PM
what the

Keely - Forget about the Moorings...YOU WILL GO TO LITTLE PALM ISLAND!...the fodor's posters have spoken... don't even try to go to the Moorings...WE WILL BE WATCHING!... now repeat after me... MOORINGS BAD!... LITTLE PALM ISLAND GOOD!.... have fun!

Old Feb 15th, 2002, 12:35 PM
xxx

Sunset Key is amazing. We stayed at the Hilton but took the ferry to sunet key for the day. Can't beat it!

Old Feb 15th, 2002, 02:34 PM
Keely

My eyes are getting heavy . . . I will stay at . . . OOPS. Almost succumbed! Seriously, I'm afraid Little Palm might be a little too confined for my hubby. He likes big open spaces. We like to sit at the beach all day and maybe take a bike ride or a walk at night after dinner. Also, I used to live in the Lower Keys so I'm familiar with the area. (Would like to retire there.) Also, have stayed at Sunset Key and loved it, and if we don't stay at Moorings or Little Palm, we'll probably end up at Sunset Key again. I DO appreciate all the posts very much, by the way. Would still love to hear from someone who's actually stayed at Moorings. Love & kisses to all.

Old Feb 24th, 2002, 06:11 PM
candace

Keely, We stayed next door at the
Cheeca Lodge and walked over to the Moorings to check it out. The beach was lovely with very classy and comfy chaise lounge chairs and hammocks tied to the palm trees. The owner let us take a key and check out one of the cottages - very nice and spacious (included washer/dryer). We were there in August and found it to be a bit buggy near the cottages, though you should not have that type of problem this time of year. Oh, the pool was great - one of the best and most private around. Across the street is a restaurant named Pierces owned by the Moorings and truly a "don't miss" situation. One of the best meals I've ever had. By the way, we also stayed at Little Palm Island while we were there and at $650/night it WAS worth it! I have never had such service - even if you can splurge for one night, it's a grand experience. We stayed in Key West at the Marquesa in town and found it to be very classy and a great deal - rooms were decorated a la Ralph Lauren - super private and beautiful pool. We took the ferry to the Hyatt for dinner (on your private island) and looked around, frankly we didn't have a great experience, food was overrated for the price and the island seemed not up to par for the cost (especially when compared to Little Palm). I would NOT recommend the Cheeca Lodge - it needs a total makeover and it is really more for families w/ children splashing about the pool and making noise. Hope this helps your decision. Have fun!

Old Feb 24th, 2002, 07:23 PM
George

Great report, Candace! Can't beat the scoop by one who's been there....

Old Feb 28th, 2002, 06:01 PM
spoungebob

I hate to say it,but fuck it Ill say it anyway.Before this post gets deleted by the Fodors Police can anyone tell me if LITTLE PALM ISLAND RESORT is free of homos.If theres one thing I dont want to see at 695$ a night is a fag festival.Please inform.

Old Mar 2nd, 2002, 12:59 PM
Keely

Thanks, Candace & everyone. Got lots of good info from this post & appreciate all the suggestions. If we stay at Moorings or LPI, I'll post a report when we come back.

Old Mar 29th, 2002, 01:00 PM

for rose

Old Mar 29th, 2002, 01:54 PM
Carol

I have not stayed at the Moorings. My husband and I live in Fort Lauderdale and with all of the wonderful places nearby that we can stay, our favorite (which is about 4 times a year) is the Hampton Inn in Islamorda. Book a room on the top floor poolside. It is very romantic, especially when the moon is full and you sit in the wooden glider on the pier and watch the reflection on the ocean. The gym is great, the continental breakfast is the best we have had, and there is an Outback Steakhouse attached! We go and just rest and relax for 2 nights and are raring to go again. We have stayed many other places, but we like the luxury and cleanliness and hospitality of the Hampton best. If relaxing is your goal, I suggest you give it a try.