Search

The Keys with Kids?

Search this Thread

Old Jan 5th, 2008, 08:19 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The Keys with Kids?

Hi,
Never been anywhere in Florida except the Land Of Giant Mice, better known as Disneyworld (too many times). ...8 days for spring break with kids ages 9 & 10 flying into Ft Lauderdale and planning to see South Beach (?) and drive the Keys, staying wherever seems right for however many days at each place. We're from the Desert Southwest (Albuquerque) so Everglades/Mangroves etc are not common. Cabins? Condos? Hotels? Assuming we need to stay at several places to do it right? Or, do we pick one place and try not to 'see it all'? Restaurants (my kids like everything-not typical kids meal stuff)? Sights? Routes? How many days where? Any advice? Kids happy with hanging out. Don't need trinkets, touristy, Dizzyworld things. Pools or ocean/beach oppty's good. How about water activities, kayaking, snorkeling etc. What else? Any help greatly appreciated.
Thanks, Tracy
Old Jan 5th, 2008, 09:29 PM

IMO Key West is not ideal for children of 9 and 10. The beaches are quite limited although the hotels have nice pools if that is their preference. There are many water acticvities to do from the habors at KW like snorkeling trips, fishing, or Dry Tortugas island which is a full day trip. Most activities are geared to 20 or older and if the cruise ships are in dock, there are many senior visitors shopping for trinkets and touristy things. There are numerous bars in the main tourist areas, and they seem popular all day and until 4 a.m. closing. The fresh seafood is awesome with many restuarant/bar choices both downtown and on the waterfront. KW offers many water activities, but there were few children in mid Dec. Maybe vacation or spring break time would bring more children but the few children there then were much younger in strollers or 20ish "hoping to bar hop all night." IMO rather than Key West, there would be better places in Florida with beaches and more age appropriate activities for 9 and 10 year olds.
Old Jan 5th, 2008, 09:38 PM

We did a four-day trip to Key West and did some kid friendly things - they would probably like riding the Conch Train and going to the Mel Fischer Museum to see all the treasure. We did a snorkeling tour that was fun, and there's also glass bottom boats. Seeing the street performers in Mallory Square at sunset might entertain them. Hemingway's house with all the 6-toed cats was fun too. There's also an aquarium - pretty outdated, but kids might enjoy it. I'd probably go elsewhere if you're interested in beachy activities. Lots of good restaurants in the area. I'd be leery of having kids out on Duval street too late into the evening - gets a little wild, but Mangoes was good.
Old Jan 6th, 2008, 04:06 AM

My child sounds a lot like your children. Not into typical kids meals. I would think your kids would like the Keys. Consider maybe even spending the night on Dry Tortuga. This would be an adventure. Pennecamp State Park is a must as well. Might as well say you have been to Bicayne while there also.

Day 1 ft lauderdale
day 2 south beach
day 3 Biscayne
day 4 pennecamp
day 5 keys islmadora, key west
day 6 dry tortuga
day 7 everglades
day 8 everglades

this is enough to keep you going and still not to much driving.
Old Jan 6th, 2008, 09:33 AM

Can you go to Sanibel instead? It's so great.

Nice beaches, mellow family time, lots of shells to collect, great waters for kayaking, wonderful wildlife preserves for birding/strolling.

Well, that's just my 2 cents.

Have a fun trip no matter where you end up!
Old Jan 6th, 2008, 09:45 AM

My kids loved Key West! The Sunset pier... snorkeling and catamaran trips... conch train...Fast Buck Freddies... 100 t-shirt/ Souvinier shops... galleries... cool patio eats... swimming pools... plus you can stop along the way in Bahia Honda and in Islamorada and feed the Tarpons, shop at Worldwide Sportsman, eat at Islamorada seafood, swim with Dolphins... the keys are full of fun family... just do a little research on the Keys websites and you will have no trouble finding everything you want... have fun!!
Old Jan 6th, 2008, 11:16 AM

Spend a few days in the Florida City/Homestead area and visit the Everglades National Park.

http://www.nps.gov/state/fl/

You may want to buy a cheap cooler and stock with your favorite snacks/drinks while you are looking around that area. If you visit the ENP stop at "Robert Is Here" on your way for one of their world famous milkshakes.

http://www.redlandriot.com/RobertIsHere.html
Old Jan 7th, 2008, 03:40 AM

I would split your time in the Keys between the Upper Keys (Key Largo/Islamorada) and Key West.
The Everglades is a great stop on the way from Miami to the Keys but I think you would be happy with a 1/2 day there. In the Upper Keys, be sure to get to Robbies and mile marker 77. In addition to seeing/feeding the wild tarpon, you can rent kayaks and go across to Indian Key. PIck up a couple of soft sided coolers and take along a picnic lunch. Be sure to take at least one snorkel trip. You'll end up staying in hotels or condos. Look at tripadvisor reviews and see what looks interesting to you.
Old Jan 7th, 2008, 11:31 AM

keynom- If you only spent a half day in the Everglades National Park you have yet to see the Park.
Old Jan 8th, 2008, 06:52 PM

This time of the year is still season in the keys as the weather is nice and the hotels can be busy. South Beach is beautiful, trendy and if you arrive and have time to do lunch on South Beach that would be nice and then let the kids swim in the ocean or maybe spend the night on South Beach if your budget allows. I am a Miami native and spend a good amount of time in Islamorada. I also had kids your kid's ages not so long ago. Having said that, I would do something like this.
day 1- south beach
day 2-shark valley bike ride or tram depending on your level of energy. This is part of Everglades Nat'l Park and is west on Tamiami Trail(SW.8 St)off of the turnpike. If you get there by 11am.,you can spend the day and then head down to the keys.
You can split your time between the upper keys and Key West. I would stay in Islamorada..Places to stay- Hampton Inn, Cheeca Lodge, Days Inn are all in Islamorada.
day 3-Chill out. Go to Robby's feed the tarpon and have lunch or dinner at Islamorada Fish Company and check out Worldwide Sportsman.
day 4- You can rent kayaks in Islamorada or drive up to John Pennecamp State park in Key Largo. Pennecamp has glass bottom kayaks you can rent and kayak thru the mangroves. There is a bird rehab center in Tavernier thats worth a quick stop also.
day 5- Drive to Key West but stop along and take in the sights. Bahia Honda State Park is a nice picnic spot and the kids can swim and burn energy. Buy food prior to getting there. Places to stay in Key West..There are many ..Hampton Inn, Casa Marina, B&B's. depends on how much you want to spend and location.
day 6-7 take the conch train. you can get on and off at many major sites. the Mel Fisher treasure museum is worth a stop and look, Fort Zachary Taylor, the Southern Most Point, Hemmingway House and Mallory Square.-the kids will love this. Walking Duval Street.If you have day 7 open- consider the ferry to Dry Tortuga Nat'l Park where Fort Jefferson is. It's a 2 hour ferry ride and an amazing sorkeling trip. The weather needs to cooperate for this to happen. Check out the Nat'l Park Website for details www.nps.gov . Places to eat in Key West. A&B seafood, Blue Heaven(the kids will get a kick out of the roosters walking around here) and the foods great. Hope this helps. Enjoy.