The Hamptons on Labor day weekend

Old Apr 29th, 2008, 05:26 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The Hamptons on Labor day weekend

We have been trying to get to the hamptons for some time now and are thinking of going to EH over labor day weekend - it happens to be my birthday weekend. Am I just crazy to even consider this? Will it be extremely congested, or will it be not too bad, since many people will be back home for school?
Old Apr 29th, 2008, 06:04 AM

Labor Day in the Hamptons will be EXTREMELY BUSY, since it is the end of the season, it is probably the busiest weekend of the year in the area. Traffic will be bad and hotels if not already booked will be hard to come by, so if you want to go, book NOW.
Old Apr 29th, 2008, 07:56 AM

The Hamptons is busy every summer weekend but especially so on the holiday weekends. Labor Day is slightly busier b/c of the Hampton Classic horse show. I don't know that it's the busiest of the season, but schools don't tend to start to after Labor Day. Anywhere you go on Labor Day weekend is busy. Where are you coming from?
Old Apr 29th, 2008, 08:14 AM

The entire area is EXTREMELY busy and it's probably too late to book a hotel (and most have 3 night minimums over holiday weekends).

It is not too late, however, to rent a house for the weekened, but expect to pay handsomely for it.

Old Apr 29th, 2008, 08:32 AM
Original Poster

The reason I ask is that places like nantucket and MV do tend to thin out a little b/c of earlier school starting. labor Day weekend isn't as busy as the other holiday weekend. Most colleges start in August now, as do some reg schools, that's why i wondered.
Old Apr 29th, 2008, 08:55 AM

In the NYC are almost all schools start after the Labor Day weeked - often on the Wednesday - and Labor Day weekend will by incredibly busy. Agree you may be too late to get reservations,since the Hampton Classic takes a lot of rooms.
Old Apr 29th, 2008, 09:35 AM

I looked at millhillinn.com and enclaveinn.com which is 4 different properties. ALL have openings for that weekend. Mill Hill is $750/night however and the Enclave properties requires a 4 night stay for the holiday weekend (as do others) but prices seem reasonable.
Old Apr 29th, 2008, 09:36 AM

Millhouseinn.com
Old Apr 29th, 2008, 10:23 AM
Original Poster

Thank you all for your help.

McLaurie- I was afraid to post as i thought you might get mad at me b/c I'm always posting about the hamptons and i haven't pulled the trigger yet!

i wonder... if the Classic is going on that weekend, is there a chance that Town might not be quite as busy- or will it just be busy period and i need to accept that if i choose to go?
Old Apr 29th, 2008, 10:25 AM
Original Poster

oh, and 1 more question. I was looking at the maidstone arms, and was hesitant b/c I thought it was a group of cottages that's on 3 mile road, but it looks like it's not from the description. what are those cottages on 3 mile rd that I'm thinking of? It's driving me crazy!
Old Apr 29th, 2008, 10:31 AM

And no one comes back early to get ready for school either. My sister spends her summers out there and they all stay until the last possible second. I swear I think she irons the kid's uniforms at the end of the school year so they can stay 5 minutes longer!
Old Apr 29th, 2008, 10:35 AM

I don't think the Classic makes much of a difference, frankly.

It's Labor Day Weekend -- the absolute busiest weekend of the year in the Hamptons. The villages will be packed, parking will be impossible, restaurants will be beyond capacity. So shop early, then spend the days on the beach or by the pool, then grill out.

Old Apr 29th, 2008, 10:41 AM
Original Poster

Interesting. I would never consider Labor day to be the busiest weekend in newport or the cape, but i guess NY is different. I'm sure the Classic must add to that. Thanks everyone.
Old Apr 29th, 2008, 11:03 AM

For many New Yorkers, the Hamptons are exclusively a weekend destination -- hence the Labor Day crush.

Also, the ocean is at its warmest by Labor Day, so that fact attracts more people than Memorial Day & July 4th.

I spend much of the summer in Bridgehampton, but on holiday weekends I try not to leave my backyard. I do all my shopping on Thursday, for example.
Old Apr 30th, 2008, 08:32 AM

I don't know what you mean by "Town". The horse show is in Bridgehampton and it affects traffic and accomodations in all the towns. The Classic doesn't make a difference. I'd say it's the icing on the cake.

The Maidstone Arms is on Main st. in East Hampton. I think it is/was up for sale. Don't know if that's happened. The cottages you're thinking of on 3 Mile Harbor are East Hampton Point.
http://easthamptonpoint.com/

Are you the one who was considering Baker House last year? If you want a taste of the Hampton without the crowds, why not try Sunset Beach on Shelter Island? It's ON the water (although the bay) which very few of the Hamptons places are. It's a 10 min. ferry ride to Sag Harbor for access to the Hamptons. YOu can also get to the North Fork (Greenport) by ferry from there.
Old Apr 30th, 2008, 08:33 AM

Meant to say the Classic DOES make a difference. More people, more cars.
Old Apr 30th, 2008, 09:21 AM
Original Poster

Hi mcLaurie, yes I'm the one who was considering Baker House last year, but we would be taking my DD on this trip and they don't allow kids. The cottages I'm thinking of on 3 mile rd aren't EHP-- it's another set of cottages along the way, maybe about 1/2 from the start of 3 mile rd. Maybe they're private, I can't remember- it's been many years since we've been back.

My DH really wants to go to the Hamptons, but i think we may end up just postponing my birthday celebration and going in September. Thanks to all.
Old Apr 30th, 2008, 10:45 AM

I think you may be thinking of what was the THREE MILE HARBOR INN & Cottages and is now the Harbor Bistro. I don't think they rent those cottages anymore. It's at Maidstone Harbor Marina which is probably why you thought of the Maidstone Inn.
http://www.harborbistro.net/index.html

If you really want to come to the Hamptons you could probably find something in Amagansett which is close enough to East Hampton and far enough away from Bridgehampton that it wouldn't be so crazy. Friends have stayed at
http://www.gansettgreenmanor.com/index.html
and liked it.
Old Apr 30th, 2008, 11:06 AM
Original Poster

That is exactly what i was thinking of! thanks- I thought i was losing it! One of my oldest friends has a home on 3 mile rd, so I have spent alot of time there, but haven't been since marriage/kids, etc...

The place in amagansett looks GREAT but they only have queen beds, and i NEED a king with my DH. Otherwise, it really looked perfect.

I don't mind being in EH, in fact prefer it, and since we'd be coming over through orient point/shelter island, we'd avoid the other hampton traffic. Still, it looks like September might be a wiser time to go. Thank for your help.

PS- friends are staying at the Baker House at the end of the month- I'll let you know what they say!