The French Laundry OR Cyrus??

Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 2nd, 2011, 02:38 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm making reservations this week (two months in advance!) for dinners during our honeymoon to the Yountville/Sonoma area.

Our itinerary has us flying in from the east coast Monday morning, driving to Yountville, staying there Monday, and then driving to Healdsburg/staying there the rest of the week.

Our original dinner plan (yes, I love to eat ) has us going to Ad Hoc Monday night for the fried chicken, doing something low-key in Healdsburg Tuesday, Cyrus on Wednesday (once we're relaxed and not jet-lagged) and then playing it by ear the rest of the week.

However...now I'm starting to wonder if I will regret not eating at French Laundry on our trip west.

My question:

IF I can get reservations tomorrow (which I realize is a fairly unlikely proposition) - should we do French Laundry over Cyrus?

I just worry that trying to cram in a multi-course, multi-hour meal the same day we arrive on the west coast might detract from the experience. (We are willing to splurge, so the difference in cost isn't so much a factor. Just want to make sure we get full enjoyment.)

Thoughts?
Old Aug 2nd, 2011, 02:57 PM

No way should you even consider TFL the same day you arrive - jetlag is not a good way to experience fine dining. But on the other hand, if you're considering TFL in lieu of Cyrus on Wednesday, and you can get a reservation (slim chance), then sure, why not? If you think you might regret it, then go for it.

You might want to check with the Chowhounds, however, on www.chowhound.com.
Old Aug 2nd, 2011, 04:10 PM

should we do French Laundry over Cyrus?

Yes, if you luck out on getting the reservation. If staying at a swish place in Yountville ask them (now, before the 2 month deadline) to also try to get the FL reservation for you, which works sometimes.

I'd also consider Meadowood (8 miles north of Yountville), another Michelin 3* restaurant (Cyrus is also excellent but rated slightly lower than both FL and Meadowood). We dined at French Laundry and Meadowood last winter on consecutive nights and enjoyed both.

I just worry that trying to cram in a multi-course, multi-hour meal the same day we arrive on the west coast might detract from the experience.

We actually do that fairly often (fly to Chicago and dine at Alinea first night, L20 or similar 2nd night, or fly to NYC and dine at Per Se and then Daniel or similar ... same with Napa when we hit FL on the day of arrival, then Meadowood next day). I think it's easier going west to east because of the time change (our 10 PM Per Se reservation was actually 7 PM body clock time for us) but you can do it east -> west if you have an early enough reservation, since 10 PM west coast meal is 1 AM east coast time, which is probably too late to fully enjoy.
Old Aug 2nd, 2011, 06:47 PM
Original Poster

Great advice - thank you! I did blank out that Thomas Keller and many of the French Laundry staff will be in London for that Harrod's pop-up (thanks to Chowhound for the reminder.) Keep you posted...
Old Aug 3rd, 2011, 06:13 AM

>>if you're considering TFL in lieu of Cyrus on Wednesday,
Old Aug 3rd, 2011, 06:21 AM

I would also suggest the French Laundry for lunch over dinner. Our lunch was a 3+ hour affair.