Is French Laundry worth it?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 6th, 2004, 02:12 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Okay, I would like to get opinions on whether spending the $$ on French Laundry is worth it. What do you guys think? Also, what exactly is the cost of a dinner there? Is it a prix fixe, or standard menu?

Thanks for any advice!
Old Jul 6th, 2004, 02:25 PM
yk

Never ate there before, but here's the website & menu you can look at:
http://www.frenchlaundry.com/tfl/frenchlaundry.htm

Choices are $125, $135, $150
Old Jul 6th, 2004, 02:34 PM

In a word, no.
Old Jul 6th, 2004, 03:25 PM
SAB

If you are into gourmet dining the French Laundry is well worth it, if you are not, it probably won't be.
Old Jul 6th, 2004, 03:43 PM

Agree with SAB - it is really a dining experience for those who would appreciate that. Get early reservations - we had a 9:30 pm which meant we finally stopped eating around midnight.
Old Jul 6th, 2004, 04:07 PM

I have to agree with the others. If you are really into fine dining with unique, excellently prepared dishes, the French Laundry is a true experience. Otherwise, you would probably be wasting your money.
Old Jul 6th, 2004, 04:29 PM

It is probably really good, but nothing is worth knocking yourself out for. As one great chef said, "It is only a meal." We like Travigne--beatiful room, lovely food.
Old Jul 6th, 2004, 04:34 PM

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post
Like the cookbook, overlarge in content.
overpriced for image.
Old Jul 6th, 2004, 04:39 PM

I can't believe the coincidence. I was just logging on to check out "French Laudry". We will be in Napa in August and love French food (BUT not overpriced French food). Would like to hear more opinions and/or good alternatives. Thanks!
Old Jul 6th, 2004, 06:46 PM

The best alternative, IMO, is Bistro Jeanty, owned by the original chef at Domaine Chandon when it had the first fine restaurant in the Napa Valley. Dining at the Bistro is like dining in France--good traditional food, rather than dishes that take up 6 lines on the menu to explain. We love the coq au vin, the daube de boeuf, the tomato soup with a puff-pastry toque, and the to-die-for lemon tart.
Old Jul 7th, 2004, 10:03 AM

The Napa Valley has many fine restaurants. Bistro Jeanty is fine but it doesn't receive the same attention from Phillipe since he opened his San Francisco eatery.

Try La Toque in Rutherford. This is a real gem. Wine Spectator voted it one of the top 20 restaurants in the US a couple of years ago.
Old Jul 7th, 2004, 10:22 AM

If you are a 'foodie', then you are a gourmet restaurant junkie. Any other 'fix' just won't do. No matter where you eat, if you don't go to the French Laundry, it is going to bug you. So, if you fit the above description, yes, it is worth it. I just ate at Keller's other restaurant in NYC, PerSe, and I felt like I died and went to heaven. Close to $500 a couple and worth every dime.
Old Jul 7th, 2004, 04:19 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
You are a candidate for eating at the French Laundry if:

You would rather eat a good meal than go to the theater. Or the opera. Or a football game, including the playoffs. You would have a hard time deciding between dinner and the Super Bowl.

You spend your hotel money on dinner and stay at Motel 6.

You always eat at the best place in town whatever town you're in.

You have a speed dialer and a day off for calling for reservations exactly 60 days in advance.

I recommend Celedon, in Napa.
Old Jul 7th, 2004, 04:29 PM
loveopera

How do I get reservation there? I'm dying to go to French Laundy for years, but I've been scared of even trying, because I'm not willing to listen to busy signal for hours. The story I read of waiting on line for hours. Is it true? Is there any better way of getting reservation? I wish I could reserve over internet.

Old Jul 7th, 2004, 05:58 PM

My friends and I here in Sonoma County always understood a "foodie" was like
a "groupie"-just following the latest flash to say they'd been and then on to the next "hot" eatery of the moment.
In that context, French Laundry would be "old hat" wouldn't it?
Honestly, we never hear much about it anymore-we do hear about the previously mentioned Celedon and La Toque. So, I guess if you are a "foodie" those are the places to be. A truly wonderful
secret surprise is getting raves in Petaluma-it's called One Fifty Four-
but it probably does not have the marketing budget of FL-The SF Chronicle food critic Michael Bauer gave it
a glowing review-and no place is ever good enough for him!
R5
Old Jul 8th, 2004, 06:19 AM

razzledazzle-as a foodie, I can say, not true. we follow the chef, not the restaurant. a true foodie would rather get Jean-George's autograph than Tom Cruise. Meeting the masters is a thrill. Being invited to tour the kitchen is like a tourist visiting ABC studios. And getting an extra 'amuse' for being a regular customer at Bouley, priceless.
Old Jul 8th, 2004, 08:56 AM

It is definitely worth it! My husband and I went to the French Laundry for our 25th Anniversary last year. It was the hightlight of our trip (we're from Michigan). If you love fine wine and exquisite food you will be very happy indeed.
Old Jul 8th, 2004, 10:10 AM

I consider myself a foodie, but to decide between a meal nd the Super Bowl? Hmmmmm, well if the Jets are in it (haha - keep wishing), then the Superbowl wins hands down.
Old Jul 8th, 2004, 10:11 AM

La Toque's Ken Frank is a culinary wizard--I'd follow him anywhere.
Old Jul 8th, 2004, 12:14 PM

Bugswife-Ah, I see. In your circle,a true foodie is a chef groupie-are the perks and personality over or equal to the food?
I'm truly curious!
And if said chef leaves for another venue does the place name that made him famous tank if the next chef is not up to par?
It almost sounds like a spectator sport!
Just kidding...
R5

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -