Reload this Page >

The "Forum" disposition, or "Is this human nature"

Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 4th, 2000, 10:00 AM
sandi

Someone said it well...that because this, (and other) forums are anonymous, the worst and best of people comes out. Just like the freeway, people behave in a way that they never would if their identity were known. A few people have been dumb enough to print their "real" name and have been scalded unmercifully. It's easy to dump on people when no one sees. There must be a drove of people out there who just wait for an opportunity to be crummy on the internet. They should make reading this forum required for Psychology 101.

Old Aug 4th, 2000, 01:05 PM
x

Sandi, do you ever post anything useful, or do you just criticize the forum and the people who frequent it? Why is the running of this forum so important to you?

Old Aug 4th, 2000, 01:21 PM
Tony Hughes

Sandi, you're cool, sign me up to your newsletter if you have one, my friend!

Old Aug 4th, 2000, 02:18 PM
Me

Actually you pose a very good question and an excellent analogy. I frequent several boards that pertain to completely different subject matter and the same type of posters abound. Because of the anonymity people feel they can respond rudely or criticize openly.

Since this is a travel board -- you managed to tie it quite nicely to the automobile. You get a 3 star rating from me -- for whatever that is worth <BG>

Old Aug 4th, 2000, 02:26 PM
Sans-sable

Sandi, this is tiresome and sort of a Q.E.D. -- proof of itself. It may or may not be any given forum that brings out what people feel they can get away with behind anonymity, but at least some of the anonymous ones actually contribute to knowledge about TRAVEL, not forums!

Old Aug 4th, 2000, 07:31 PM
ToSanssable

This was written earlier...

: Sans-sable ([email protected])
Date: 8/04/2000, 6:26 pm ET

Message: Sandi, this is tiresome and sort of a Q.E.D. -- proof of itself. It may or may not be any given forum that brings out what people feel they can get away with behind anonymity, but at least some of the anonymous ones actually contribute to knowledge about TRAVEL, not forums!
----

my reply:

Travel takes us places, good and bad, exciting and boring, exotic and lackluster. To constantly talk about "places" and never adding the human factor is living in a travelogue and not experiencing it. Tsk! Tsk! Have you been to so many "places" you no longer care about the people who go there?

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Old Aug 5th, 2000, 09:24 AM
sandi

To the previous poster (who ever you are). I have been almost everywhere, except to the S. Pole and Hawaii, and my observation re: people is that they are pretty much the same all over the world, with the possible exception of those in Paris, where some of the rudest people on earth reside--maybe something they put in the delisous french bread. HOwever, my observation is that probably many of the rudest posts to this forum are from people who never travel, and may have a bit of the jealous bug inspiring their posts. I think it is an interesting observation of human nature that someone always has to disagree, or be a smart ass, or contrary, just to exhibit their wit or linguistic abilities, with the replies having nothing to do with travel. As I have said before, we would profit by having a little more structure in this forum, to limit the amount of abuse allowed. Enuff said!!

Old Aug 5th, 2000, 05:25 PM
Not

Sandi, here we go again. Again, you post about how it bugs you that people post with things other than travel advice, and then you do a little rant having . . . nothing to do with travel.

So which is it? Are we all free to post on things not very related to travel, or do we have to stick strictly to travel? Or are you the only one who gets do whatever you want?

Please stop complaining and trying to dictate what the forum should be. Please? Pretty please?