Search

The Everglades

Search this Thread

Old Jun 1st, 2005, 12:09 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The Everglades

Can we see all we need to in just one day or is there enough to fill two days...

We will be staying at the Marriott in Key Largo, so not a long drive to Everglades National Park, I understand...

Thanks all...NannyJan
Old Jun 1st, 2005, 06:28 PM

One day is enough. I'm topping a description of the everglades trip you want to take.
Old Jun 6th, 2005, 10:46 AM
Original Poster

I would love a one day itinerary!

Thanks, NannyJan
Old Jun 8th, 2005, 08:23 AM

How much do you like nature? My husband and I have vacationed there twice, each time spending a week, and we can't wait to go back.

I would definitely say you could enjoy 2 days there. Depending on when you're going, the park rangers hold a number of programs at Flamingo - the bird walk around Echo Pond is fantastic, as is the "swamp tromp." Go canoeing or kayaking. Rent some bikes and go down Snake Bite Trail, timing it so that you arrive down at the end at low tide - the birds will be feeding all over, it's supposed to be magnificent. There are guided boat rides at Flamingo - a back-country tour and one out into Florida Bay. On the way into the park, make sure you stop at Anhinga Trail - you will see an incredible variety of wildlife. At one part of the park, there's a tram tour. I would check out the website at http://www.nps.gov/ever/
Old Jun 10th, 2005, 06:40 AM
Original Poster

We are going in late October...we love nature and photography, so I am thinking it may be a two day visit.

Thanks for the information.

NannyJan

Old Jun 10th, 2005, 05:09 PM

The Everglades will be fabulous in October. Have a great time!
Old Jun 11th, 2005, 04:50 AM

You may want to book a room at Flamingo for a two day visit. Flamingo has a motel, cabins and camp sites. (There are also houseboats but that wouldn't work for one night). There's a place for pizza and a restaurant. There's a marina store with sodas, chips, etc. There is a pool but it's not heated. Spend most of one day on the drive to Flamingo - the entrance visitor center, Anhinga Trail and one or two other stops on the way. From Flamingo, be sure to get to Eco pond early in the am. Lot's of birds there. Rent a canoe and follow trails, go out on a fishing boat, etc. to see what's there. Remember that there are no food concessions between the entrance so bring along lunch if you want to picnic. You can't see the Everglades just driving through. It's a giant slow moving river and you need to see it slowly to appreciate it.