The Dalles/Columbia River Gorge

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 12th, 2013, 04:16 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

OK, so my sister and I are getting together for a girls' weekend...she lives in Boise and I live near Seattle, so we are meeting sort of in the middle at The Dalles. We plan to take in a few wineries, the historical museum there, fish ladders at the Bonneville Dam, maybe drive west and take in some of the waterfalls in the Gorge. I've also thought of driving up to Timberline Lodge on Mount Hood for lunch.

I'd welcome any input anyone has. This area is somewhat unfamiliar to me.
Old Jul 12th, 2013, 05:54 PM

Just do it! You will never regret it.
Old Jul 12th, 2013, 06:30 PM

Where are you staying at the Dalles? I think I would stay at Hood River instead but maybe there is somewhere nice to stay that I am not familiar with. I think the Dalles is not the most scenic part of the Gorge.

Maryhill winery is nice- beautiful view of the river and I think they have a place where you can have lunch. They also have entertainment sometimes in the summer at an outdoor amphitheater so you might check that out. Close to the museum there is also a replica of Stonehenge- pretty interesting!

http://www.maryhillwinery.com

I would definitely visit some of the waterfalls of Gorge
Old Jul 12th, 2013, 07:26 PM

I agree with sunbum. Stay in Hood River if you can find a room there. We like the Best Western, which has become exceedingly popular recently.

The drive on WA-14 from Maryhill to Bingen (for the bridge to Hood River) offers sweeping views of the gorge and Mt. Hood, and the drive on OR-35 from Hood River to Timberline offers great views of Mt. Hood and, on the return trip, Washington's Mt. Adams.

HTtY
Old Jul 12th, 2013, 07:39 PM

I agree, Hood River has more to offer than The Dalles. That said, The Dalles is much better than it used to be.

Maryhill Winery has fantastic views. Their wines are ok, but not great, IMO. But definitely worth a stop. Like sunbum says, the stonehedge replica and the Maryhill Museum are both great places to stop at. I also like the Horsethief Butte a bit down from the museum.

In Hood River, Marchesi Winery is a good stop, especially on a warm day as they have a large patio area with tables.

Timberline is a must, IMO.

Also, the gorge has so much to see. Take the old scenic highway from Corbett and must stops include Portland Woman's Forum (odd name, great views), Vista House, and of course Multnomah Falls. There are many more great places to stop along the route, but these are the big draws.
Old Jul 13th, 2013, 07:24 AM

Received 17 Likes on 4 Posts
Why not meet in Yakima? http://wineyakimavalley.org/
Go west on US 12 past Mt Rainier. For a really interesting drive, try the Forest Service paved road from Randle to Carson.
I agree with the others, stay in Hood River.
Old Jul 13th, 2013, 09:31 AM
Original Poster

Thanks to everyone for their responses. I made reservations about a month ago, and every place decent in Hood River was already booked...had no idea it was such a popular destination! So we are staying at The Dalles Inn (good TripAdvisor reviews); in The Dalles (obviously). Looks like Hood River is about 20 minutes away. Hope The Dalles (town) is OK.

I'm thinking that one day we will drive out to Biggs and cross the river there for Maryhill; then come back on 14 to Bingen and cross over to Hood River. Then we will proceed west on 84 for the waterfalls, fish ladder, and Woman's Forum views. I'm trying to figure out if we will then have time to loop back on Highway 26 to make a stop at Timberline on the return trip. Is that going to be too much? Maybe we should do the Maryhill part the next day. (We will be there two whole days; three nights).
Old Jul 13th, 2013, 09:36 AM
Original Poster

tomfuller - I've done that drive (Yakima west on 12 and down the east side of Mt. St. Helens). It is an interesting drive. I had friends in the Ariel/Cougar area.
Old Jul 13th, 2013, 09:58 AM

Received 79 Likes on 8 Posts
Looks like Hood River is about 20 minutes away.

More like 30, but take the WA side instead for much nicer views.
Old Jul 13th, 2013, 04:58 PM

the Columbia River Gorge is one of my favorite places in the country. Here are my favorite hikes:

Latourell Falls (that's my favorite waterfall in the Gorge) - a very short, walk (can't even call it a hike) gets you here.

Oneonta Gorge - here you walk up the river - yes, a section you are IN the river, so be prepared to get wet. At one point when we hiked it, the water was above my navel. The end of the gorge is a waterfall with lush foliage - it looks like Hawaii, not Oregon.

Eagle Creek Trail to Puncbhowl Falls - I love this trail, and I love Punchbowl Falls. It's not a dramatic plunge like the the other falls in the Gorge (such as the mighty Multnomah), but it is so pretty.