The Coolest Museum You Have Never Heard Of - Nethercutt Museum

Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 22nd, 2016, 01:22 PM
Original Poster

Received 21 Likes on 2 Posts

In all the years I’ve been working on my travel website, this might be my biggest (and most pleasant) surprise. I recently read about a place called the Nethercutt Museum, located in nearby (well, for me) Sylmar, CA. All I knew about it was that it had some cars and musical instruments, and even better for a semi-retired guy, it was FREE!. I booked a tour online and from the time when I entered the museum to the time I left 3 1/2 hours later (guided tour is 2 hours) I was totally blown away. Besides classic automobiles (the Grand Salon has to be seen to be believed), the guided tour of the “Collection” also includes some of the most fascinating automated musical instruments you’ll ever see or hear. You haven’t listened to music until you've heard a European Orchestration! Oh yeah, you get to go on a train, too. I hope you enjoy my visit to the Nethercutt Museum & Collection that contains some really incredible photos (thanks to some gorgeous subjects) in the link below...
http://travelswithmaitaitom.com/nethercutt-museum-collection-sylmar/

Old Mar 23rd, 2016, 04:19 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
sounds very interesting. Where is Sylmar CA?
Old Mar 24th, 2016, 01:31 PM

Thanks, maitaitomi. I have heard of the Nethercutt, but it was long ago and I had forgotten about it. Maybe I'll get up off the couch and give it a visit.
Old Mar 24th, 2016, 01:55 PM

And Shar, Sylmar is a Los Angeles neighborhood in the northern San Fernando Valley.
Old Mar 24th, 2016, 11:11 PM

Maitaitom, so glad you posted the pictures from Nethercutt. We have been there several times with out out of town guests and they all have been surprised by this amazing museum. We first went after my husband (who is a car nut) saw a local show on t.v. showing all the cars. After making that one trip we then realized that it is so much more than a car museum, although the cars are fabulous too. Hope others will see your post and visit this very special place.
Old Mar 26th, 2016, 07:45 AM
Original Poster

"After making that one trip we then realized that it is so much more than a car museum..."

That's for sure...the music room was incredible. Quite a surprise. I'm shocked that I had never heard of this museum until fairly recently. Thanks.

Old Mar 27th, 2016, 06:07 PM

Enjoyed this post and your blog, Tom. Have you been to the Petersen auto Museum in LA? http://petersen.org/
Old Mar 28th, 2016, 03:45 AM

Yes, it is great. #5 on Tripadvisor's Things to do in Los Angeles.

Seems lots of people have heard of it!
Old Mar 28th, 2016, 01:24 PM
Original Poster

Peterson Museum is on my short list. Want to see the exterior that has seemingly everyone in such a tizzy.

Old Apr 3rd, 2016, 05:42 PM

We are native Angelenos and, like many others, said over and over, "We really should go out to the Merle Norman Museum." (OK it's the Nethercutt but their cosmetic line is Merle Norman). But from where we live it was always too far to think about seriously. Plus to tell the truth it didn't really sound all that interesting to me.

Then we went there and realized that no description can do it justice.

The cars are stunning! The musical instruments are fascinating and delightful to hear! The Wurlitzer (you're basically sitting in a huge living room when you hear it)....words can't describe. And this from someone (me) who goes through most museums rather quickly.

The guy who leads the tour is wonderful; you can feel the pride.

You do have to make an effort as it is not at all near the usual places that tourists in L.A. typically visit.

Maybe it's a place for people who have seen and done everything else in L.A.