Search

The Cloisters

Search this Thread

Old Nov 15th, 2002, 02:36 PM
xxx

The Cloisters

What is the best way to get to the Cloisters from the Met? How long will it take to get there?

Old Nov 15th, 2002, 04:01 PM
Musing

Don't know if it's the best way, but here's one possibility--
From Madison Avenue and 83rd Street, take M4 bus directly to the last stop (Fort Tryon Park–The Cloisters).

You might look ay the Met website for some others, including subway/bus (which would be faster).

Old Nov 15th, 2002, 04:56 PM
what

Met-
Metropolitan Museum of Art or
Metropolitan Opera House?

Old Nov 15th, 2002, 05:14 PM
SEH

Met = Metropolitan Museum of Art, the Cloisters is part of the museum, so the museum's website may have additional information.

Old Nov 15th, 2002, 05:22 PM

Take an "A" train to the 190th Street station. You then walk up a hill to get to the Cloisters. The A train (an express train) can be picked up on 8th Avenueon the west side at 34th, 42nd or 59th Streets. The train would be much faster than the bus. Train is at least 30 minutes.

Old Nov 15th, 2002, 05:39 PM
tweedy

The best way to get there would be to get on the A train, from the Met go down 5th Ave to 59th St and take the bus across or walk across to Columbus Circle and look for signs to the A train uptown. Trying to take the bus from there will be probably a well over an hour.

The Cloisters if my favorite museum in the city and I live not too far from there.

When you get off at 190th St, you have a bit of a walk through Ft. Tryon Park or you can wait for the bus which will drop you off in front of the museum. The views from there are spectacular.

Have a great time.

Old Nov 16th, 2002, 11:26 AM
xxx

Our hotel is at 53rd St. and 3rd Ave so I'm thinking that we should go to the Cloisters first thing in the am and go to the Met museum after. So if we take the A subway from 59th st. to 190th St. then catch the M4 bus to the Cloisters it will take about 30 mins? Then do the same thing in reverse to get to the Met? Can we get off near 82nd st? Taking a cab would be a bad idea because of traffic and expense, right? Thanks for the help!!

Old Nov 16th, 2002, 12:01 PM
Musing

http://www.metmuseum.org/visitor/ind...tionsCloisters

Old Nov 16th, 2002, 12:07 PM
tweedy

If you are comming back downtown and want to go to the Met, I would suggest taking the train to 125th St and change to the C (local train) and take that to 81st which is the Museum of Natural History stop. You can take a bus through the park there, or easier take a cab through the part to the Met.

I would think it would be about 30-45 minutes each way.

Enjoy.

Old Nov 16th, 2002, 04:19 PM
rf

Since you are beginning this journey on the east side you would be wise to plan a minimum of one hour, door to do. Getting to the A train station at 59th and 8th Ave, from the east side will take at least 15 minutes possibly a little longer. A taxi to the museum will cost in excess of $15 and finding a taxi to take you back to the hotel will be difficult.

Old Nov 16th, 2002, 05:54 PM
Carol

Please do not be discouraged by the travel time; the Cloisters is one of the wonders of the world, not only for the medieval art collection, and the building itself which is composed largly of pieces of medieval buildings ripped out of Europe, but for the views of the Hudson River and the New Jersey pallisades (cliffs), and for the formal garden in the park. The park was the site of a battle during the Revolutionary war (which we lost) and a friend found a cannon ball while we were playing in the park in the 1940s. For a good meal, go to the New Leaf cafe in the park, a charming old building bought by Bette Midler and converted into a good restaruant with proceeds going to maintain and restore the park. You don't have to walk uphill from the 190 A train subway stop because there is an elevator up to the museum level although you do have to walk (beautiful if the weather is nice) or take the bus as another poster suggested. The Cloisters has 3 cloister gardens, one of which is a medieval herb garden, and there used to be Gregorian chants piped thorugh one of the cloister gardens but I don't know if they still do that.

Old Nov 17th, 2002, 02:48 PM
xxx

Thanks everyone, especially for the subway tips. I'm looking forward to going there and glad to know there is a place for lunch nearby. This forum has been so helpful.

Old Nov 18th, 2002, 06:36 AM
Flynn

Since your hotel is on 53rd St. & 3rd Ave., you can take the DOWNTOWN E train (located right on 53rd St. & 3rd Ave) to 42nd Street, get off and switch to the UPTOWN A to 190th St for the Cloisters. Going there first is better because the Cloisters is more fun with daylight. To get back,l take the downtaown A train to 125th Street, change to a local downtown C train on that platform and get off on 86th Street. From there you'll find a crosstown bus on 86th Street which will take you over to 5th Avenue and you can walk a few blocks over to the Met. If you're using a Metro Card the transfer to the bus is at no cost.

The above is not complicated and won't take as long if you make good connections.

Old Nov 18th, 2002, 06:51 AM
tommy

Take a cab.