Search

The Big D- Tour buses?

Search this Thread

Old Jan 6th, 2009, 02:57 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The Big D- Tour buses?

Hi all

I am visiting Dallas in Feb and was wondering if there is a tour guide bus that shows all the sights? Do you know how I can get on one? Where it goes to and leaves from in Dallas?

In other cities there are loads of bus tours/ red bus tours that cover the cities main attractions? I am struggling to see one on the websites, it looks like I will have to hire an entire bus - which must be a mistake!
I will not have a car.

Many thanks in advance,
Old Jan 6th, 2009, 03:35 AM

really aren't "sights to see in D" other than JFK stuff. What are you interested in? Dallas is spread out and is like a smaller LA, nothing like the cities in the east. Dallas, Fort Worth and many other suburban cities take up a lot of mileage. We live in Oklahoma and go there often to shop and eat (6 or 7 times a year). Never have really seen any sights other than the schoolbook depository building. It is a nice place, but not really a place to go see the sights.
Old Jan 6th, 2009, 05:48 AM
Original Poster

Hi

Is there not lots of buses offering tours around the city???

On the website http://www.iridekbc.com/grayline_da.asp

it states "explore the hidden treasures and history of Dallas. From the early style of the 1800’s to the dynamic skyline of today, learn how the entrepreneurial spirit of the people of Dallas created the city of today.
Contact us today!

Dallas Sampler Tour

Examine the historical history that the BIG D has to offer. Explore the sites of Big D– "Old Red". Also see the Dallas Visitors Center – Pioneer Plaza, City Hall, Farmer’s Market and the Arts District as well as The West End. A treat the whole family will enjoy. Minimum of 10 passengers required. Reservations required. No admissions included"

So there must be sights in what is a fasinating city.

Old Jan 6th, 2009, 06:13 AM
yk

I have lived in Dallas for 3.5 years, and have NEVER EVER seen a tour bus like those you see in NYC or Boston etc.

Unfortunately, there really aren't that many sights in Dallas, and most people rent a car anyway to get around when they come visit.

Do you know where you will be staying? Dallas is so spread out that you will be somewhat handicapped if you are staying far out and don't have a car.

What are your interests? If you are staying at a hotel near the DART station, you can take the DART to get to JFK site (and touristy West End), as well as the Arts District.
http://www.dart.org/

Apart from DART, look into taking the McKinney Ave Trolley.
http://www.mata.org/
It connects between the Arts District and Uptown & West Village. The latter 2 have plenty of shops and restaurants.

It may help if you tell us:
1) how long will you be in Dallas
2) what are your interests, what do you want to see while you're here
3) where will you be staying
Old Jan 6th, 2009, 06:41 AM
Original Poster

We will be coming for eight nights and will be staying at The Fairmont.

We are interested in seeing the sights, shopping and soaking in the ambience of Dallas, Fort Worth and will probably go to the Dr Pepper factory in Waco. As stated we will not have a car so will have to move around on trams and taxis.
We are not so interested in art museums.

Would you be able to suggest an starting point for an itinerary?
Old Jan 6th, 2009, 07:42 AM
yk

I honestly don't know how you can get to all these places you want to visit without a car.

I like the Fairmont, in fact, that's where I had my wedding guests stayed a few years ago.

The closest DART station is St Paul, which is about a 0.5 mile walk.
http://www.dart.org/maps/printrailmap.asp

The Dallas Museum of Art is just a block north of the Fairmont. Even if you're not interested in art museums, it's worthwhile to go for a visit. I think admission is free on thurs evenings. Right now, the blockbuster King Tut exhibit is at the DMA, but you must book tickets in advance.

A block from the DMA is Nasher Sculpture Center, another worthwhile museum to visit.

The McKinney trolley which I mentioned in the post above, has one terminal at St Paul street, which is just a block from the Fairmont, so you can take the trolley to Uptown/West Village for shopping and meals. There aren't that many places to eat around Fairmont, except for Stephen Pyles. The cafe & restaurant inside the DMA have very good food, and you don't need to pay admission just to dine there.

The best shopping mall in Dallas, IMO, is NorthPark Mall. You can get there by taking the DART to Park Lane Station, and then catch the complimentary shuttle to the mall.
http://www.northparkcenter.com/transportation.html

It is possible to get to Fort Forth by public transportation, the TRE. But once you get there, I don't know how you can get from the station to the historic downtown Fort Worth area.
http://www.trinityrailwayexpress.org/index.html

It is your benefit to at least rent a car for a few days so that you can easily get to FW & Waco.

BTW, 8 days is a long time to spend in the DFW area. Any reason why you're going for that long???
Old Jan 6th, 2009, 07:48 AM
yk

BTW, since you mentioned taking taxis, they aren't that easy to come by. You won't have trouble getting one at Fairmont, but getting back to the hotel from whereever you are, you can't expect just to hail a taxi off the street. So make sure you get a few different taxi companies' phone #s so you can call for one when you are ready to head back.
Old Jan 6th, 2009, 08:28 AM

I can't help with an itinerary or bus tours but I can point you to a terrific online guide of the area: www.guidelive.com
Old Jan 6th, 2009, 09:59 AM

I lived in Dallas for almost 19 years, and I never saw a tourbus like the one you are describing.

Like the other posters have mentioned, there aren't really many "sights" in Dallas, apart from the JFK stuff. But there are more shopping centers there/square mile than any other place in the US!

As mentioned above, Northpark is quintessential Dallas shopping. It is my favorite place.

The Sixth Floor museum is worthwhile too.

I would suggest that you perhaps rethink your decision to not rent a car, if at all possible. It is virtually impossible to get anywhere without one. Even the DART stations require one to drive there, park, and then take the train.
The city is urban sprawl at its finest, and navigating it is nearly impossible sans car.

If you are going to Fort Worth, you can check out the stockyards & cowtown. Also, if per chance you will be there the first week of Feb., you might be interested in checking out the Fort Worth Stock Show and Rodeo: http://www.fwssr.com/
It's the real deal.
Old Jan 6th, 2009, 10:26 AM

After looking at your other posts, I see you are from London. Are you going other places while in the US? Again, Dallas is fantastic place to shop and dine, but there isn't really any "sights" beyond the JFK type stuff or a rodeo. If you are coming to the US to see some sights you might consider another city.

There are fun things at D, such as Six Flags, Hurricane Harbor, Texas State Fair, etc. None of those are open in Feb. I doubt you will find a rodeo then either. But, I could be wrong about the rodeo.
Old Jan 6th, 2009, 10:29 AM

By the way, Waco is a long distance from D. I can't imagine going to Dallas and not having a car. Even the main airport is a long way from Dallas. It is actually in Grapevine. There is another airport, Love Field, but it doesn't have near as many flights.
Old Jan 6th, 2009, 10:30 AM

Imagine a smaller London, with no tour buses, no subway, no trains, and only a handful of taxis. That is Dallas. There is no Big Ben, no changing of the Guard, no Palaces to see either.
Old Jan 6th, 2009, 11:57 AM

I've lived just outside of Dallas all my 50 years and I'm always at a loss as to what to recommend people to see in Dallas besides the 6th Floor JFK exhibit.

I tell everyone --go to Ft Worth and spend a couple of days. You will get more of a "Texas" western feel and they have a wonderful downtown that is safe and active at night. I wouldn't be caught dead in most of downtown Dallas at night. It's mostly a business district during the day and closes up at night.

Either place you will need a car. Mass transit is very sparse.