Reload this Page >

Where to eat in West Dallas?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Oct 23rd, 2002, 09:43 PM
Chris

I'm going to see The Boss at the American Airlines Center. Any recommendations on where to eat? Looking for a good Texas steakhouse, BBQ joint...no French or Italian, etc. I want Texas food! Also, fun bars? Thanks!!

Old Oct 24th, 2002, 05:25 AM
Where?

The American Airlines center is not in Wes Dallas. Where are you staying? DId you want to eat around the AA center or around your hotel? Dallas is a very spread out city, but there are some great food spots! Let us know a bit more info, so we can make some recommendations!

Old Oct 24th, 2002, 06:20 AM
Jesse Dupre

Chris, you go to Dallas to hear country-western music, not Bruce Springsteen, some scruffy boy from New Jersey. Now turn in those tickets and get some for the George Straight tour. That's pure country, boy. Listen up.

Old Oct 24th, 2002, 07:32 AM
me

Dallas has 8,600 restaurants listed in the website www.guidelive.com.

I have no intention of trying to guess which of the 86 hundred would be perfect for you. Why don't you look at the website?

Or, try www.mobiltravelguide.com. It narrows the field down to 91 restaurants that heve at least 2 stars.

Incidentally, the Mobil Travel Guide lists 63 restaurants for Boston in the same category, 57 for Philadelphia, and 82 for Washington.

Also, I second the above poster. West Dalla is a low income area several miles southwest of downtown Dallas, with a lot of crime and public housing. You don't want to eat there.

Old Oct 24th, 2002, 07:35 AM
me

Forgot to mention... West Dallas was the home of the infamous robbers, Bonnie Parker and Clyde Barrow, of "Bonnie and Clyde" fame.

When they were finally captured and killed by the police, somewhere in Louisiana, their car ended up with a couple of hndred machine gun slugs in the bodywork.

Old Oct 24th, 2002, 01:41 PM
GeeGirl

Me is right. Dallas has so many resturants to chose from it is nearly mind-numbing.

Good steaks can be found at Texas Land and Cattle Company. There are several locations uptown and a delicious steak and baked sweet potato - YUM! They are moderately priced and fairly casual.

Sonny Bryan's in the West End is a good bet for pork BBQ. Most BBQ fans down here only claim to eat beef BBQ.

If you have a car, drive north on I-35 to the Loop 12 to Resturant Row. Pappa Bros Steakhouse is there and I have heard good things about it, but sadly have never been.

Take a look at GuideLive.com and see if something interests you. Enjoy the show.

Old Oct 25th, 2002, 02:12 AM
Kate

Chris if you want good Texas bbq, take it from a native Dallasite..do not go to Sonny Bryan's. They used to be good years ago when they were operating in a hole in the wall location. I would check out Bakers Ribs. They had a location in downtown Dallas (but it may just be open for lunch). They also have a location on Greenville Avenue between Lovers Lane and University. That is some awesome bbq.

Old Oct 25th, 2002, 08:31 AM
Chris

Thanks for the help with directions -- I am staying near the American Airlines Center. Suffice it to say, I don't really know where that is.

I've found the guidelive listings but while they have professional reviews, I couldn't find any personal reviews (I like reading those). But so far, the restaurants I've noted are:
Monica's Aca y Alla
Bob's Steak & Chop House
Sonny Bryan's Smokehouse
Del Frisco's Double Eagle Steak House
Pappas Bros. Steakhouse

All the steakhouses seem to be pricey. Any feedback you can give me about these (and if they are even near me!) would be appreciated. Thanks so much!

I'm going to look up Texas Land, Cattle Company and Baker's Ribs now. Thanks for the advice!

Old Oct 25th, 2002, 10:32 AM
me

Chris, the A A Center is just a few blocks north (i.e. walking distance) of the West End, basically the western side of downtown Dallas.

There is also a shuttle bus that picks up in the West End (Pacific and Lamar), carries people to the Center, and takes you back after the concert.

Many people take a DART train to the West End station. It may be convenient for you to travel from your hotel to the West End via train.

If you want steak, the places in the West End are:

. The Palm
. Morton's of Chicago

The West End itself has many restaurants of all kinds, blocks and blocks of them, in fact... just wander around until you find a likely prospect. Or, follow the aromas. Dallas has better restaurants than you'll find in the West End, but not if you have to go far out of your way to get to them.

The other places you mentioned (except for Sonny Bryan's) are not walking distance, more like cab distance...

You may be making this more of an ordeal than it needs to be. Just about anyplace you go in Dallas will be good.