the big 40 in the big apple!!!

Search this Thread

Old Mar 17th, 1997, 04:02 PM
jo-ann

the big 40 in the big apple!!!

will be celebrating the big 40 in ny in the fall
and would appreciate suggestions on where to stay
we want a safe!! clean!! fancy hotel within walking
distance to usual tourist attractions. don't want to pay a ridiculous price but want a good hotel. thanks in advance, please e-mail me direct , jojo

Old Mar 17th, 1997, 07:41 PM
Tina

Just returned from a trip to NYC. Stayed at the New York Hilton on 6th Avenue between 53rd and 54th. Great location for shopping and Central Park. Rooms were small. But excellent price thru travel agent for this location. Service was very good. All amenities available. Is primarily a convention hotel. Staff was very helpful about directions, subway info, and taxis were plentiful at all times. Had stayed at a Doubletree on Broadway two years ago Broadway and 40something street. Did not like that location as well. Was convenient for Broadway shows, but if you only go to one or two during your stay would be better to taxi down here and stay closer to Central Park and shopping district.

Easy to catch subway to Greenwich Village and Soho or Downtown.

Ate at a great Spanish restaurant, Solera, and a very good Mediterranean restaurant, Meltemia on 1st Avenue. Fun at a tapas bar in the Village, Paella West. Bartender was from Venezuela - he was very informative about the area and entertaining.

Old Mar 19th, 1997, 10:21 AM
Neal Sanders

What do you call ridiculous? App. $400 a night will get you a superb room at the Four Seasons - Manhattan (57th between Park & Madison), with the best view of any hotel around. A little less will get you a great view at the Pierre (request a high floor), though in an older hotel. The mid-price chains (Sheraton, Hilton, Lowes, Marriott) have small rooms for $250,to which they add stuff every vacationer needs: fax machines, printers, etc. If you want additional info, feel free to e-mail me.

Old Mar 21st, 1997, 07:43 AM
annie

I don't know if this will help you find a room,
but if you want to find good things to do in
the city, check out http://www.metrobeat.com and
http://www.goldennyc.com. You might also want
to look at native's guide to new york (although
I wasn't impressed, I know others who find it
useful. Happy 40!

Old Mar 26th, 1997, 09:16 PM
Horn

Since I stressed so about where to stay etc etc etc. I thought I would respond to the NYC questions. We had a great time cannot wait to go back. I actually lived up there twenty some years ago but never visited the city much. My loss. We stayed at the Hotel Edison, basic, nothing special but affordable. Be sure to eat on Mulberry for strolling and eating Italian and Mott for Chinese and great outdoor fish markets fruit, vegetables and all sort of shopping bargains. Do this before you do your junk gift shopping uptown. Have a good fortieth.