Search

The best hotel in Times Square

Search this Thread

Old Jan 27th, 2003, 03:08 PM
SR
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The best hotel in Times Square

We've decided to stay in Times Square for our first trip to New York with teenagers. I know that alot of you will disagree, but we want to be in the middle of everything. We are not looking for a suite room. What would be your choice for a hotel in Times Square considering everything: location, fun hotel, convenience, excitement, restaurants, access to subways, etc. The hotels we have been considering are: Marriott Marquis, Crowne Plaza, the W at Times Square, Renaissance. We welcome all your comments.
Old Jan 27th, 2003, 03:12 PM

Personally, I don't like the Marquis. I find it WAY to big. You may wait for ages to get in an elevator.

The W has a cool bar, though the rooms are quite small.

If you don't mind being half a block from Broadway, I'd suggest the Millenium Broadway.
Old Jan 27th, 2003, 03:17 PM
gc

If you want wow factor for the kids, go for the Marriott....big, boisterous, really active....the kids will get a real feel for Times Square.
Do not stay at the W...it tries too hard to be hip.
Old Jan 27th, 2003, 03:54 PM
SR
Original Poster

I've read so many negative review about the elevators at the Marriott Marquis. Is is really that bad? On the average, how long do you wait to get up or down?
Old Jan 27th, 2003, 04:02 PM
gc

SR,
I suppose you could wait 5-10 minutes max for an elevator. When on business and trying to make a dinner appointment, this is unacceptable. But if you are visiting for pleasure, it's a good opportunity for people watching.

Personally, I'm not a fan of hotels on the scale of the Marquis, but if you want to stay in Times Square to get the feel and buzz of the place, it's the way to go...right in the center of the theatrre district, a block or two to Sardi's, and endless stream of stretch limos dropping off the beautiful people and the wnnabees...it is neat.
Old Jan 27th, 2003, 04:03 PM

OK, once again I have typed a response and when I click "post my reply" it disappears. I will try again.

Yes the elevators at the Marquis can be bad -- I've waited as long as ten minutes which seems like an eternity when you are waiting. I've probably stayed there ten times, however, and sometimes there are no problems with the elevators. I've also learned that if you push the sort of hidden buttons for the center "service" elevators instead of the general ones for the cirle of glass "view" elevators they often come much quicker.

But the rooms at the Marquis are some of the largest and nicest in New York, with wall to wall, floor to ceiling glass. We normally turn our sofa to the window and have a spectacular view right up Broadway. We always ask for and get a north view room.

We just put up with the elevators, and are still happy.
Old Jan 27th, 2003, 06:02 PM

My top recommendation would be the Renaissance, though your kids would really enjoy those elevators at the Marriott Marquis, even after a bit of a wait! The Millenium, though "convenient to" but not right in Times Square (along with lots of other fine choices along 44th street east of Times Square) is rather in a "different world" and rather defeats the purpose.
Old Jan 27th, 2003, 06:54 PM

Interesting comments. I very recently booked the Renaissance Times Square for a three night stay in May on my way to Europe. I chose it mainly because they gave me a $186 a night mid week rate -- while the Marquis wouldn't budge below $259 (although that may change as time gets closer). I have not stayed at the Renaissance and am looking forward to it, as well as not having to deal with those elevators this time.
But don't mention Priceline to me. I'd rather pay more and have the luxury of changing should I find another deal between now and then, or not losing a deposit should my plans change -- which these days is not at all unlikely. And I will not risk getting stuck in the Waldorf (one of the most disappointing hotels I've ever stayed in) or some other place I really don't want.
I'm also curious. If you book on Priceline to you pay the full amount in advance? That seems like a lot of money to tie up for four months!!
Old Jan 27th, 2003, 07:12 PM
TC

We always stay at the Renaissance. Its a great location and the rooms are large with well layed out good sized baths. Excellent location for catching all subway lines or walking to theater and restaurants. Good security as lobby is on upper floor. Very good staff.
Old Jan 27th, 2003, 07:36 PM

For first timers, the Marriott Marquis is a "trip" for the kids to see. Watching and riding the glass elevators travel up and down the 48 story open glass atrium is an experience in itself and the hustle and bustle in this mammoth hotel will keep you occupied.
The stories about the elevators, though, are, unfortunately, all too true. I have stayed at the Marquis a dozen times and the wait for the elevators seems to get worse and worse.
This will be most bothersome if you have tickets to a play or dinner reservations and you are running late. Leave yourself plenty of time!
Ask for a Times Square View!!! Very important! Enjoy!
Old Jan 27th, 2003, 08:16 PM

I would suggest the EMbasy Suites as a good location and the rooms are good size, especially with kids. It is right in the heart of Times Square, across from TKTS booth and on the first floor is AIDA, which is a great show.

Staying in TS there you are close to lots of restaurants, like the Stardust, up Broadway, where the servers all sing. Also Mars is across the St, and has gotten decent reviews.

You might take the kids downtown to see the World Trade Center site and walk down to BAttery Park to see the temporary memorial set up there. It will give them more of an understanding of what happened here.

Have a great time while you are here and enjoy the city.
Old Jan 28th, 2003, 05:59 AM
SR
Original Poster

Alot of posts indicate that the rooms at the Marriott Marquis are nice with floor to ceiling glass and great views of Broadway. However, when I called and got a AAA rate of $189, they told me that was not a room with a view. Is this going to be the case if I book on-line also? How did people get a room with a view? I'm going to guess you specifically asked for it and paid alot more money (??).
Old Jan 28th, 2003, 06:13 AM

The first time there I had a south facing room looking into other buildings. Since then I have always asked for and gotten a "north facing view room". No extra charge -- and mostly on $149 to $179 special rates.

First of all, register now for a Marriott Rewards card (www.marriott.com). It's free and the best way to get automatic upgrades when you check in -- not to mention a few other things like free newspaper, many places free local calls, and addtional FF miles (in my case American).
Old Jan 28th, 2003, 06:24 AM
SR
Original Poster

Hi Patrick,
Thanks for your response, and thanks to everyone so far that has responded. Your comments have been very helpful.

I'm so glad you mentioned the Marriott rewards card. I already have one, but didn't realize it could get me an automatic room upgrade. Will they charge for the upgrade? I only have 20,000 points accumulated, so it won't get me a free night.
Old Jan 28th, 2003, 06:34 AM

There is a relatively new Hilton smack in the middle of Times Square, which gets very good reviews.
Old Jan 28th, 2003, 06:52 AM

It really isn't considered an upgrade as such -- not getting a suite or anything like that -- just a better room.
The new Hilton is nice, up high in a tall building, but it is on 42nd street between 7th and 8th -- not in the middle of Times Square like the Marquis and the Rennaissance are.
Old Jan 28th, 2003, 07:11 AM

MILLENIUM HOTEL was fabulous for us. I used to go a lot to NYC and always always stay in times square with the kids, ages 10-16. They love times square and the millenium. Not the new adjoining Millenium, but the big one next to it. Stay there. Great location
Old Jan 29th, 2003, 12:50 PM

SR, I am planning a trip to New York next year and I would love to hear your trip report when you return. We want to stay in Times Square as well. Thanks!
Old Jan 29th, 2003, 04:04 PM
SR
Original Poster

Leta, We go the first week of July. I will try to post a report when we get back. Can't wait !
Old Jan 29th, 2003, 08:59 PM

SR: You will be pleased with the Renaissance Times Square. In 2002, I've stayed at both the Renaissance and the Marriott Marquis (as well as at the East Side), and strongly prefer the Renaissance. The Marquis is much too large for my liking: a long line at check in, and dozens of people waiting for the elevators at any given time. By contrast, at the Renaissance there was rarely a line at the front desk, and it had the "feeling" of a smaller hotel (e.g., the staff would remember you). The Renaissance's concierge, Christine, is personable and terrific if you need dining advice or tickets to a hot show. She secured tickets for me to sold-out performances to The Producers in early 2002, and to Hairpray in November 2002. Enjoy your stay in NYC.

Woody