Thanksgiving parade

Nov 3rd, 2005, 02:10 PM
Original Poster

Thanksgiving parade

Does anyone have the skinny on the balloons being inflated on Wednesday? When and where should we go? We also thought about seeing a play on Wednesday night. Would we miss the best part of the prep if we did that? And any suggestions for dinner after the parade. We're coming in from out of town and I'm having second thoghts about cooking in my daughter's apartment.
Nov 4th, 2005, 11:12 AM

I used to live in the UWS (82nd & CPW) around the corner from the balloon inflation zone. The best places to view are along 81st b/t Columbus and CPW, or along Columbus b/t 81st and 77th. The best time to view the balloons, in my opinion is in the evening after 5 PM. It's fun to see, especially if you are with children, but I would skip it if I had tickets to a good play. Basically, they lay the balloons (Kermit, Sponge Bob, Clifford, etc.) on the street and slowly inflate them. It's pretty mobbed for the UWS, but no too bad. Are you staying on the UWS? Let me know if you need restaurant recommendations.
Nov 4th, 2005, 11:36 AM

Lizziea06 is basically right, they are inflated around the Museum of Natural History on Wednesday night. It has become more of a mob scene than it was even a few years ago. They start setting up late in the afternoon and are going most of the night. Many of the balloons aren't identifiable until 8 or 9 at night. I also agree that if you get tickets to something you are really interested in seeing, don't bother with the balloons (until your daughter has kids of her own).

As for T'giving dinner, many restaurants are doing prix fixe dinners that afternoon. Talk to your daughter about where you might want to go.
Nov 5th, 2005, 10:41 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for the recommendation. It sounds as though we could do the play and still some of the balloons, since they take so long to inflate.
We could use restaurant recommendations. My daughter's repetoire is limited given her early-in-her-career-little-money status.
What would you suggest as the best places to see the parade. Someone mentioned the steps of the museum? Any good or should we just stay down in her neck of the woods (near 34th st.)
Nov 6th, 2005, 07:34 PM

ttt
Nov 7th, 2005, 05:18 AM

When we went to the parade last year, we stayed at the Avalon on 32nd and wanted to watch from a spot that was not too far from our hotel. We went to watch the parade on Broadway around 38th, but soon found out that it was a "quiet zone". None of the bands will perform and it has to remain quiet due to the close proximity to Herald Square. We quickly moved up to the corner of 41st. We had a good spot (I wouldn't know what the best spot is or if there is one) and were still within walking distance to our hotel.