Thanksgiving in New Orleans

Mar 8th, 2005, 02:50 PM
Original Poster

Thanksgiving in New Orleans

My husband and I are going to visiting New Orleans for the first time over Thanksgiving weekend. We know there will be alot people in town for the game and we are ok with that. I am looking at making reservations for our hotel now but we are wondering what is open on Thakgiving day? I know some of the resturants are open but is anything else open. What about the tours, bars and stores? Any other info I would love since we are newbies to NO. Thanks.
Mar 8th, 2005, 07:19 PM
Original Poster

topping.
Mar 8th, 2005, 08:01 PM

We were in New Orleans for Thanksgiving '03 (very rainy day) and most restaurants were open, not much else. Of course the bars and honkytonk on Bourbon St were going full blast.

Didn't leave the French Quarter that day so can't speak to other areas of town - c'mon, locals...
Mar 9th, 2005, 05:09 AM

I've been researching like crazy for my trip and remember reading a few things that said open everyday except Thanksgiving & Christmas. Prob best to decide what you want to do, tour etc & see if they run on that day.
Mar 9th, 2005, 05:15 AM

I think I remember a NO resident saying she and her family have been having Thanksgiving dinner at Arnaud's for years. It's definitely worth checking out! This same woman loves Begue's, which is the restaurant at the Royal Sonesta Hotel...another good option.
Mar 9th, 2005, 05:19 AM

There are many restaurants that open on Thanksgiving and serve New Orleans style turkey -- basted and injected with spices and then deep-fried. I was there one Thanksgiving and noticed many restaurants advertising this on their outdoor marques.
Mar 9th, 2005, 06:19 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for the great replies. Are any of the tours running on Thanksgiving? My husband and I were just wondering what do visiters do on Thanksgiving Day since alot of things are closed.
Mar 9th, 2005, 06:33 AM

Well we got a soap opera with our breakfast.
http://www.fodors.com/forums/threads...1&tid=34460759
Mar 9th, 2005, 02:38 PM

Gardyloo-
What a GREAT trip report. Here I am... a 1/2 hour later... wondering how I even got to that! But, really - entertaining & informative!! Boy do I remember that rainy '03 Thanksgiving! Thankfully, we decided to skip our tradition of opening day at the Fairgrounds and headed South to Thibodaux for an old-fashioned family meal at home!

jiffer-
You should contact one of the tour companies to see if they run on T'giving day. How long will you be in town? Maybe just spend that day wandering the French Quarter (non Bourbon, shopping areas), the Garden District (take the street car down St. Charles Ave. to look at the homes), having a great meal and for sure (!) the bars will be open. As I mentioned above, it's opening day at the NO Fairgrounds which is now a Churchill Downs company - if you're interested in that. (The food is ok, but not worth it for a visitor so don't plan to eat there!)