Thanksgiving dinner in DC?

Old Nov 3rd, 2001, 07:50 PM
Julie

Thanksgiving dinner in DC?

My husband and I are going to be visiting the Washington DC area for Thanksgiving and we're looking for a someplace to have a good traditional Thanksgiving dinner. While we want to go somewhere nice, we don't want anything that's overly stuffy and we can't afford to break the bank with one meal. Any suggestions? We're willing to try a spot in the suburbs if it meets our criteria.

Old Nov 5th, 2001, 08:37 AM
Mike

If you're able to get a copy of the Post for the weekend before Thanksgiving, there are some places that run adds RE: Thanksgiving dinner. Many restaurants are closed on Thanksgiving and I think the selection varies from one year to the next.

Old Nov 5th, 2001, 09:39 AM
MB

Definitely check the Post. Many hotels are having full Thanksgiving dinners (e.g., the Ritz in Tysons Corner). Check out the Washingtonian website - they should have some listings for Thanksgiving dinner. It's www.washingtonian.com

Old Nov 5th, 2001, 12:52 PM
Christina

I'd suggest the Tabard Inn on N St NW. That's where I'd go, it's as cozy and homey as a restaurant can be, better than your own home (fireplace, etc), and they have very good food at not cheap, but reasonable, prices. I would bet they'll have some fairly traditional but interesting Thanksgiving dinner. Many hotel dining rooms have nice Thanksgiving dinners, some have really good deals and buffets; I think some steak houses would have the warm atmosphere (panelling, comfortable, etc), there are several good ones in DC. Other than Tabard Inn, I might try Cashion's Eat Place in Adams Morgan for nice atmosphere.

Old Nov 5th, 2001, 12:56 PM
Leone

If by chance you are staying in downtown DC, why not hop on the Metro blue or yellow line, go to Pentagon City, and have dinner at that particular Ritz Carlton. A short ride, and short walk to the hotel ... it's just by the subway station. Have a nice trip to DC. Ciao

Old Nov 5th, 2001, 01:08 PM
Frank

How about the Mount Vernon Inn at Mount Vernon, VA? Can't get much more authentic than that. You could tour the grounds and mansion and than have a nice holiday dinner. They can be reached at 703-708-0011.

Old Nov 5th, 2001, 05:20 PM
Mike

Wouldn't the Ritz be a bit expensive for someone who "can't afford to break the bank with one meal?" Or have they gone more downscale in recent years?

Old Nov 6th, 2001, 08:47 AM
Laura

The Mount Vernon Inn is already booked for Thanksgiving. I tried them myself the other day.

Old Nov 6th, 2001, 12:30 PM
David

Two years ago we did Thanksgiving in DC. It was hard to get reservations so we ate pretty early in the day. That evening, we found few restaurants open. However, we happened on the Hawk 'n' Dove on Pennsylvania Avenue southeast of the Capitol. They had a regular menu AND a traditional thanksgiving dinner. Our hote turkey sandwiches were better than the dinner earlier in the day!!!

Old Nov 6th, 2001, 12:37 PM
L

Not to rain on the ole parade, but Hawk and Dove is a small, dark bar on the Hill ... yikes, you'd do better at the Tune Inn down the street, which is a well-lighted bar. But neither is where you want to spend Thanksgiving unless you go with your rye and beer swilling buddies, and you're all sophomores. Yikes, give Julie a break ... I've spent beaucoup hours in the place ... it's a dive. What can I say ... my standards were lower then. gt;> Ciao

Old Nov 7th, 2001, 03:22 AM
Mark

I have spent two Thanksgivings in DC. I had a very nice meal at the Old Ebbit--they had a selection of some traditional meals--and it was reasonably priced $18-20 (three years ago). Last Thanksgiving we ate at Georgia Browns. It was a $35, but well worth the money. You had a selection of traditional meals--turkey, ham, etc. In addition to having a plate full of food--they also had buffett tables with extra helpings of numberous sides--dressing, cornbread, yams, etc. I walked away stuffed--could not finish my pie--which is very unusual for my appetite. In addtion, most of the larger hotels would also be serving-eg. the Willard Intercontinental, the Mayflower, etc. Good Luck

Old Nov 7th, 2001, 07:25 AM
Ann

This would mean delving into the suburbs, but try Artie's in Fairfax. It's stuck in a strip mall near Fairfax Circle, but it's really a wonderful restaurant. Good food, service, nice surroundings (inside, that is!) Not sure if it's open for Thanksgiving, but if it is, it would be hard to beat.

The Hawk and Dove is not hard to beat.

Old Nov 7th, 2001, 02:36 PM
Jen

Oh yeah...Artie's is great for the burbs! Don't think they serve Thanksgiving dinner tho.

Old Nov 8th, 2001, 12:04 PM
kristin

The Post food critic recently answered a similar question in his online chat... some options he mentioned that are still taking reservations (as of yesterday) for Thanksfiving dinner are: Melrose (a wonderful place), the Morrison-Clark Inn (another place I have enjoyed several times), the Willard Room, and Bistro Francais.