Texas in winter????

May 20th, 2006, 08:37 AM
Original Poster

Texas in winter????

My sis and I always do a sister trip in Jan. We've done a few cruises, Hawaii, Florida and now are considering Texas. We like to hike and do a lot of nature type activities. I've read about hill country and thought we might enjoy it, but would Jan be a horrid time to go there? If so, any suggestions for a 2 weeks trip would be appreciated. We're from upstate NY, so anything about 30 would be considered better than our own weather!!!
May 20th, 2006, 08:45 AM
trippinkpj

Where in TX? That would help. And once you have a city/ area narrowed down, you can check weather.com for the averages....

May 20th, 2006, 09:07 AM

It is almost impossible to accurately predict the weather here, and the old saying about "Don't like the weather? Wait an hour or two." is pretty accurate. The Hill Country - starting around the north of San Antonio and extending north and west - could be mild that time of year, or there could be an arctic blast - just never know. No way will it be colder than upstate NY, though! The Hill Country is typically colder than San Antonio, even gets an occasional dusting of snow. You could plan to spend some time in San Antonio taking in the historic, and in Autin taking in the funky, working in day trips as weather permits. Check out http://www.tpwd.state.tx.us/spdest/p...e/san_antonio/
May 20th, 2006, 10:07 AM

Texas is NOT South Florida. We do get chilly weather, and occasionally some snow and ice. The roads, cars, and airports here are not equipped to deal with snow and ice like up North, so everything shuts down util the weather clears.

That being said, Texas winters are usually mild, and sometimes are almost warm. Just check the weather forecasts online before you leave and pack accordingly!
May 20th, 2006, 10:18 AM

My friends in Dallas told me that January thisyear was warmer than March.
I was there couple of years ago mid February.Went to work @7am, bright balmy 65Degrees.At 5.30pm I was driving back to the hotel in an ice blizzard that didnt melt for 3 days!!
May 20th, 2006, 10:18 AM
J62

I've lived many years in both the TX Hill Country and upstate NY, and frequently travel back and forth.

I would consider any time from Mid Feb through late March to be a better time to visit TX Hill country vs January. Days are longer, spring has arrived, wildflowers are blooming, and days will be warmer, up in to the 60's or 70's.

Every year between ground hogs day and Valentines day is when Winter suddenly disappears in Hill Country. While you will get some nice days in Jan, you will also get many 40 degree/rainy days when it's just not nice being outside. As stated above there are also many (or maybe a few) days when it'll be below freezing at night, and high only in the 30s during the day. Warmer than Upstate NY, but not outside/nature weather anywhere.

May 20th, 2006, 02:48 PM

My parents winter in Galveston. We often visit them; great seafood, good shelling on the beaches, historical homes to tour. NASA is nearby to visit. The weather varies from cool to warm to hot. Ususally "temperate."