Search

Texas in January

Search this Thread

Old Nov 13th, 2011, 12:12 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Texas in January

My husband and I are wanting to get away in January. (We are in our late 50's) He is a college prof, so has a long break after Christmas. We are thinking on heading toward San Antonio and maybe Corpus Christie. Hubby loves history and wants to see the Alamo. I want to see the Riverwalk. We thought being by the ocean would be nice and wondered if it would be better to stay in Corpus Christie and take a day trip to San Antonio, or vice versa. We will have approx. 5 days. When is the slower season down there so prices may be less for lodging? We don't want to do any swimming, but love walking on the beaches. Any information would be appreciated.
Old Nov 13th, 2011, 12:46 PM

With a driving time of 2.5 hours between San Antonio and Corpus, I wouldn't try to make either a day trip. If it were me, I'd plan on 2.5 days for San Antonio (to see the Alamo, the Missions, the Riverwalk, the Witte Museum, etc. Then spend half-a-day getting to Corpus by taking a detour to Goliad to see the Presidio La Bahia and other historical sites. That will leave you two days in Corpus for relaxing and beach-walking.
Old Nov 13th, 2011, 01:35 PM

I like longhorn's idea. Or just head to Big Bend National Park for something a little different
Old Nov 13th, 2011, 01:53 PM
Original Poster

I looked up Goliad and it looks exactly like the kind of place we love to visit. Big Bend National Park looks great too. I will see how far it is from San Antonio. I love Fodors for this it the types of information that is so valuable.
Old Nov 13th, 2011, 01:57 PM
Original Poster

Big Bend State Park looks like it would be quite a long drive from San Antonio. Am I right in thinking that it may be at least a 5 hour drive?
Old Nov 13th, 2011, 02:26 PM

I find the SA River Walk at its best around Christmas. I love to enjoy the lights at night.

It is a long way to BBNP and there is no ocean beach (you can find a RGR sand bar, though).

I just drove back from SA and it is an easy 2.5 hr drive. All interstate. Detouring through Goliad will add a bit of time because of the lower speed limits on the two lane state roads.

There is no "e" in Corpus Christi.

The old mission in Goliad is across the highway a bit from the fort. About 90 miles (1.5 hrs) from CC.

A lot of snow birds come down here for the winter, so you may see someone you know!
Old Nov 13th, 2011, 03:53 PM
P_M

Usually January is the month when they drain the river to clean it. But I am happy to inform you that I looked it up to find the drainage dates and they will not be draining it this year.

Big Bend is WAY too far, just stay in Central or Coastal TX.

Enjoy your visit and thank you for your interest in Texas.
Old Nov 13th, 2011, 03:56 PM
P_M

Here's a good site with info:

http://www.thesanantonioriverwalk.com/
Old Nov 13th, 2011, 05:55 PM
Original Poster

Oh my goodness! That would not be good it there was no river! Do they leave the Christmas light up into the first part of January? We are thinking of going around January 2. I lived in Kansas for several years, but never made it to Texas. Am looking forward to it.
Old Nov 14th, 2011, 01:44 PM

SA is a good choice, but it's not near the ocean. It IS an hour from Austin and that's a good day trip.

It's Corpus Christi, not Christie - it's named for the root of the word CHRISTian, not for some random girl. And there's not that much there to occupy you for days on end. Don't count on beach weather in January either - only Hawaii is reliable for that in the US, even Miami isn't.
Old Nov 14th, 2011, 02:54 PM
P_M

I think the Christmas lights are up at least to New Year's Day. But even if they are down the Riverwalk is still glorious, day or night.
Old Nov 14th, 2011, 05:07 PM
Original Poster

I think I am really convinced about SA. Thanks for the input on the spelling of Corpus Christi. We wouldn't want to swim or anything like that - being from an area around Lake Michigan, we just enjoy water and the beach. The riverwalk sounds very nice. What are average temperatures in January? We live in WI, so anything above 35 is considered warm at that time of the year.
Old Nov 14th, 2011, 05:56 PM
Original Poster

Any good suggestions about where to stay in SA?
Old Nov 15th, 2011, 03:43 AM
P_M

Occastionally the night time low will be below freezing, but it's pretty rare to have a daytime high at freezing. January weather is hit or miss, you might need a coat or a jacket in the daytime but then you might not. I know that isn't very helpful but the best advice I can give is to check the forecast just before you go because the weather could take any direction. In any case it will be considerably warmer than WI.

I live in Austin so SA is usually a day trip for me, however I have stayed at both the Mariott Riverwalk and the Hyatt Riverwalk. I prefer the Hyatt as it's right across the street from the Alamo, but most anything on the river will be nice.

Have a wonderful time and thanks again for coming.
Old Nov 15th, 2011, 07:18 AM
cd

P_M, We have rented a condo for a month in the spring of 2012 in Gruene. We want to do tons of day trips and explore Hill Country. Our son lives in Houston and he has said that we need to rent a cheap motel in Austin for at least one night so we can do the night scene, he has suggested 6th Street. Do you agree? and do you know a clean, safe hotel/motel? Thanks P_M and sorry Yellowrose for highjacking your thread!
Old Nov 15th, 2011, 09:19 AM
P_M

Hi cd, the Driskill is the best on 6th Street, very historic but not exactly cheap. If you'll give me an idea of your budget I'll do some checking later.
Old Nov 15th, 2011, 10:11 AM
cd

Thanks P_M. The Driskill looks wonderfull but I would like the cleanest, cheapest one available since we've already paid for a condo we won't be staying in. $100.00 or under would be great, would I have to go over that?
Old Nov 15th, 2011, 11:59 AM
P_M

If you don't need to stay downtown then less than $100/night s/b doable, I'll surf around later to find something in a decent area for you.
Old Nov 15th, 2011, 02:52 PM
P_M

cd,

As you can probably imagine you will not find anything downtown that's cheap but here are a few options based on hotels.com:

Cheapest:
North Austin Plaza Hotel and Suites, $41/night
Not too far from downtown. Probably not a great neighborhood but not the worst either.

Also cheap: EconoLodge Arboretum, 9102 Burnet Rd, $60/night.
This is in a MUCH better neighborhood but farther away from 6th street. You can take MoPac (aka Loop 1) back and forth to downtown, the hotel will have easy access from MoPac. Free breakfast.

Extended Stay America: 10100 Capitol of TX Hwy, $65 In the same area as EconoLodge

DOWNTOWN on 6th St: Extended Stay America, 600 Guadalupe, $105. This is right on 6th St but you would have to walk several blocks to get to the entertainment district. If you don't want to walk it would be a cheap taxi ride.

One other option: I did a mapquest and it's only around 45 miles from 6th St to Gruene. It is drivable but of course if you plan to have a few drinks then you might want to stay in Austin and cab it.

While on 6th St I stronly encourage you to see a show called Esther's Follies. You will laugh your butt off for the entire show.

If you need anything else please type back.
Old Nov 15th, 2011, 02:56 PM
P_M

cd, there are probably more good deals than what I have provided so if you find something else and you want my opinion on the area please let me know and I will help if I can. Also there are Motel 6's along I-35, they are very cheap but but I don't know how clean they are.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -