Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

Temperatures below freezing in the Northeast and protecting your house when you are on vacation.

Search

Temperatures below freezing in the Northeast and protecting your house when you are on vacation.

Search this Thread

Old Jan 13th, 2004, 03:38 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We had many discussions here about taking care of cats and dogs when traveling. But how do you take care of your own house?

We are going to be away for almost three weeks and it looks like it is going be very, very cold. We do have someone who comes every 2-3 days to check on the house. With such low temperatures what do you do to prevent from anything going wrong with your house?

We do have in-floor radiant heating. Our plumber, who also delivers our heating oil, tells us to set all thermostats to 70 degrees. We think this is ridiculous and we need to look for another plumber when we return. Is our plumber correct and we need to leave our house this warm for three weeks?

So what do you do? What works for you while on vacation?
Old Jan 13th, 2004, 04:18 AM

I wouldn't maintain a 70 degree temperature for weeks while a house is vacant. It's a waste of energy and money. (Personally, I set mine at 60 and it could be safely set lower.) I would also turn back the water heater temperature so you're not paying for weeks of excess standby heat loss.

There are devices you can purchase to monitor interior temperature while you are away. Some are as simple as turning on a light when the temperature drops below a certain temperature. Others are more technologically advances and will place a phone call to a pre-set number or series of numbers, for example. Heating dealers, utilities or hardware stores are good places to start asking about such devices.

One thing you can do is open the doors of cabinetry under sinks in your kitchen or bathrooms if you have pipes near outside walls so that they have an easier time staying at room temperature while you are away. In many homes, it may also make sense to turn off the main water valve to your home. It's probably near the meter, if you are on municipal water. NOTE: This is not BLANKET advice because you have to look at whether or not it makes sense in your particular situation, but when the water CAN be turned off safely, you can eliminate the possibility of feeding water into the system and causing extensive damage in the event of a pipe break.

Problems are not all that common, but you are wise to think about this.
Old Jan 13th, 2004, 04:24 AM
OliveOyl

You know your house's quirks...if it has some related to cold, address those issues. Both houses we owned in Dallas had the same problem--if it got extremely cold for a prolonged period, (unusual), pipes would freeze...both houses in the bathrooms of a north facing wall. In that case we always left cabinet doors open to the pipes and a slow drip in the faucet. Those houses weren't insulated to protect against a few days in the teens.

My father would do the same with our house in MA during severe cold (and in the Berkshires it could easily get to 15 below). Cabinet doors were left open to pipes and a faucet dripped overnight, despite the fact that house was well insulated.

Your house sitter will give you some peace of mind. No need to leave faucets dripping if they are willing to come in during severe cold. Also, the warmer than normal house which your plumber recommended will help protect against freezing pipes...as well as perhaps put a little extra cash in his pocket...but there is some validity to his recommendation.

Old Jan 13th, 2004, 04:34 AM

Pat2003

Good suggestions from Flyboy. We have a neighbour who picks up the mail daily and any free newspapers thrown out. We cancel regular newspaper subscriptions. At that time she checks the house. Neighbour has a list of emergency phone numbers that include who our house is insured with.

We also leave set timed lights so it appears that we are home, turn off the water at the main. I don't understand why your plumber suggested the 70 degree setting. Even when we are home it is set at 65. When you are gone 55 or 60 should be fine.

Perhaps your plumber just likes a "hot" house. Obviously people are comfortbale at different temps.

Sandy
Old Jan 13th, 2004, 04:35 AM

We just recently were away when the cold snap hit the northeast last week. We prepared by setting the thermostat to 60 degrees (any more is a waste, IMO) and we left the water in the bathroom sink trickling just a little, as we have had problems with the pipe in that particular spot freezing in the past. Mind you, our house is also hundreds of years old, so it is probably more quirky than most homes!

If someone will be checking in on your home, there may be no reason to leave water trickling out of the faucet, just have them run the water around the house when they stop in (turn on all faucets, etc...)
Old Jan 13th, 2004, 05:10 AM

Hey Pat:

Good Post! I have cancelled the last two weekends for trips because I can not leave my house unattended in this weather! Flyboy gave me some great tips. I have to find a gizmo that senses temperature changes and places a call!
Like Mazey, I have a 140 year old home. I have an outside oil tank. The tank is a bottom feed type and that valve freezes in this weather! I use additives and most important a "Heat cord" that seems to be doing the job. But..another round of below zero is comming my way!!!
JOHN
Old Jan 13th, 2004, 05:17 AM

Beside the pet sitter, we lower our hot water tank temperature and since we do have a problem with a freezing pipe we leave water dripping. We also leave the door opened to the area with the problem pipe.. Obviously, the mail has been stopped. There is also a security system and labels are visible.. One great neighbor does snow blow our driveway. Plus...we have a nosy neighbor that keeps an eye on the place..lol This upcoming trip going to leave the name of my plumber too...cannot wait to go away..
Old Jan 13th, 2004, 06:19 AM
GoTravel

In the northeast? I'm in the southeast and I was home all last weekend, turned my water downstairs off, turned the faucets open to let all the water drain out and my pipes still froze.

Waiting for the plumber right now. Fortunately, only my washer and dryer and outside shower were affected.

Old Jan 13th, 2004, 07:07 AM

Beleive it or not, the problem of frozen pipes and other problems in apartments and laboratory buildings are a major problem where I live, a southern university town. Then students leave for the holidays and turn off everything, except the water because they do not have access to main valve.
Then during their absence, particularly in early January or late December, the weather turns cold, pipes freeze and all hell breaks loose. Can you imagine a 6 floor apartment building with 3 burst pipes on the upper floors leaking copiously for 5 days?

Even the university fell prey to that mistake. To save money, physicl plant turned off the heat in many buildings, even in labs. The temperature dropped drastically during the break. Result: Expensive equipment was damaged by leaking pipes.

So yes, figure out how well heat distributes to exposed pipes and other cold sensitive devices. And take steps to keep the heat coming so that critical elements do not freeze. The advice about dripping faucets (moving water does not freeze as fast), turning off the main valve, and opening a few inside valves afterwards, is a good idea. Also setting the thromostat to about 60 is a good idea.
That level, too, depends on where the heat vents are and how well heat gets to the sensitive areas.

For example, my living room has some good electronic equipment in it. I like to keep it warm. The manufacturer recommends 56 degrees F at a minimum for long term storage.

So I figure 60 is a good temperature.

On the other hand, one room is used for work and junk. It has nothing in it that 40 degrees would hurt. So I shut the door and close the heat registers.

In the south because of the humidity and heat we have a problem in the summer as well: mildew. Therefore I leave my air conditioner set at 80 while I am gone so that the heat and moisture do not build up in the house.

One other tip is this: draw the drapes tight, perhaps pack a small rug around the base of outside doors, and don't forget outside faucets. They may not freeze when you are home because the house is warm. When you are gone and turn the thermostat to 50 or less, there might be trouble.

and make sure it does not get below freezing in your basement where all the pipes are!! My friend learned that in his Ohio house when the mercury dropped to - 25F. Things freeze at that temperature that normally do not freeze -- like engine oil. (or become non functional)
Old Jan 13th, 2004, 07:21 AM

The best thing for a 3 weeks away would be to turn off the water/ unplug the pump,shut off the water heater,open all the faucets and drain the water pressure out of the system,flush the wcs and add marine/rv anti freeze to the bowl.This will prevent any problems caused by an extended loss of power while you are away. Some one droping by every 2-3 days leaves a lot time for a burst water pipe to damage your home.
Old Jan 13th, 2004, 07:27 AM
GoTravel

In the south, that is one of those details we ignore.

We don't buy are heating and airconditioning units for the heat but for their ability to cool. Central AC? That is akin to having electricity.