Temperatre

Jul 9th, 2019, 03:28 PM
Original Poster

Temperatre

Is it cold on the day Glacier Cuise from Whittier? So confused as to what kind of clothes to bring on our trip to Denali and Anchorage! Thank you
Jul 9th, 2019, 11:33 PM

Can be very cold, or cold and wet, or not too cold, or almost mild (never warm). A lot depends on what time of the season you are sailing. However cold and or wet it is, it will feel more so because the ship is moving.
Jul 10th, 2019, 01:11 AM

Right now the Anchorage are is 90 degrees, an unusual heat wave. When we did the day cruise out of Seward, not only was it warm but it was a very calm day which the captain said was very unusual. The ocean was like being on a lake. We didn't have a lot of wind either. That day we didn't need extra warmth but I agree you have to be prepared. Dress in layers and take a day pack or canvas bag to hold extras. My husband can't stand having his ears cold so would bring a knit cap. Cold doesn't bother me so I can be quite happy with a fleece vest over a long sleeve tee shirt. My next layer would be a lightweight windbreaker or what I chose was a hooded rain coat, very lightweight, no lining. The boat wasn't full so we also had the choice of being inside the cabin or outside.
Jul 10th, 2019, 08:09 AM

It's unlikely to be "very cold" in summer which I gather is your travel season. I go on a lot of long pelagic/whale watch trips and this is my list for summer... A waterproof windbreaker,a polar fleece layer, long sleeved t-shirt. If you check the weather first you can modify the underlayer (eg in winter I'll use a thin wool ski top instead of a tshirt). For bottoms jeans are fine in good weather. If rain is predicted, include a pair of rainpaints. Wool socks, gloves (fingerless are good), baseball hat on a leash, and a fleece neck gaiter. For shoes something with a nonslip bottom (I use duck shoes from home, but boat shoes, or Skechers type with wool socks underneath). Yes, bring a backpack for your clothes if you get lucky with a warm day and want to stash the polarfleece, water, sunscreen, lip balm, saltines, etc. Don't forget your sunglasses, binoculars, camera, extra cards and battery, seasick meds, cellphone in ziplock, kleenex, lenswipes and several cotton hankies for wiping water off of things. If you tend to run cold, bring an extra insulated jacket.

Last edited by mlgb; Jul 10th, 2019 at 08:12 AM.
Jul 10th, 2019, 03:14 PM

I was in Glacier Bay in August and it was bloody darned cold and very wet.
Jul 10th, 2019, 04:01 PM

Oh, too bad. I was there in mid June and again on September 1 and it was delightful!!!