Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

Denver/RMNP or Telluride/Ourey for first-timers

Denver/RMNP or Telluride/Ourey for first-timers

Jul 3rd, 2019, 04:58 AM
Original Poster

Denver/RMNP or Telluride/Ouray for first-timers

My boyfriend and I want to do an October trip to Colorado, neither of us has ever been, and I'm torn on where to go. We will only have four full days to explore and I originally thought we would do Denver and Rocky Mountain National Park but a friend suggested Telluride and Ouray instead. We're all about the beautiful scenery, hiking, and wildlife viewing. Horseback riding and/or a jeep ride (didn't know they were offered until recently) would be an added bonus! I'm open to any suggestions on these two options or something else entirely as I simply don't know Colorado. I appreciate your help!!!

Last edited by amyshirk0881; Jul 3rd, 2019 at 05:44 AM. Reason: Mispelling
Jul 3rd, 2019, 05:41 AM

It's Ouray, and Denver and RMNP is probably a better bet given your time frame and number of days.
Jul 3rd, 2019, 01:32 PM

The risk that you run in Oct in the central mountains -- RMNP, etc., is snow. And later you in Oct the great the risk. Most of the ski area will try to be open the third week of Oct if the weather cooperates. So Quray and SW Colorado would have less of change of not having snow. Snow will limit you ability to hike in the higher mountains. The low mountains around Denver, Boulder, low half of RMNP should be OK but an early snow in Denver can screw that up quickly. What were your tentative dates? And where are you coming from??
Jul 4th, 2019, 06:42 AM
Original Poster

Good points I hadn't considered regarding RMNP. But after doing more research of the southwestern part of the state I'm wondering if we should road trip the San Juan Skyway starting in Durango and ending it in Telluride or vice versa. I've just started looking into that option so I don't know if that would be doable in four days or not. The Durango-Silverton Train is a must but otherwise our itinerary would be wide open. We would fly in from northern Indiana the evening before, spend a full four days on the road, and fly out the next morning.
Jul 5th, 2019, 06:39 AM

Obviously that would work but it could be expensive given the small airports and very limited air options. One option could be flying into Santa Fe and driving from there. Then maybe home from Telluride. You need to check the train schedule to make sure it is running at that time.

You might check into Grand Junction and/or Vail/Eagle airports. That puts you much closer to that area and it might be cheaper.
Jul 8th, 2019, 05:26 AM
Original Poster

Good to know! You've just saved me hours of time with that information - thanks so much! I really appreciate your help. I'll probably have more questions as my planning progresses. I'll let you know...
Jul 11th, 2019, 11:08 AM

I live in Durango. With a connection in Phoenix, Denver or Dallas, you can fly direct to Durango. The airline out of Denver would be United. Out of Phoenix or Dallas is American. Flying into Grand Junction, Santa Fe or Eagle/Vail would not be my choices. Another option would be to fly into ABQ and drive the 3 1/2 hours to Durango. If you can schedule your trip for first week in Oct., the Aspen colors on the San Juan Skyway may still be holding. It’s a gorgeous time to visit what many consider the most beautiful part of the state. Be aware that we also have the possibility of snow and while it would probably not be substantial, you may not want to be driving over Red Mountain Pass which is between Silverton and Ouray on the loop you want to drive. Check out YouTube videos of “Red” to see if you’re comfortable with that drive