Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

Tell me about your favorite lodge, please.

Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 3rd, 2007, 06:30 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am the designated travel planner for a group of four adult couples. We do a trip every other year and here's what we are looking for:
1. Easy access to airport so we don't have miles and miles to go before we rest.
2. Cabins or lodge rooms with comfortable beds (prefer private baths, but can live with something like Lake O'Hara Lodge)
3. Good moderate hikes (5-7 hours, scenic again Lake O'Hara is the gold standard)
4. Great food
5. $200-300 per couple per day

We enjoy hiking and comraderie and need no entertainment or nightlife. We want to be able to base in one place and enjoy our week without a lot of moving around.

Lake O'Hara,Mt. Engadine and Idaho Rocky Mountain Ranch are perfect, but we want to be open to new ideas. MMS and Enzian have given me some great suggestions which are on the table. Anyone else have any ideas for us to consider? We are open to anywhere in the USA except Hawaii and Canada for this trip. Thanks!
Old Aug 3rd, 2007, 07:03 AM
bm

Trapp Family Lodge in Stowe, VERmont? It's about an hour from the Burlington airport (BTV). http://www.trappfamily.com/
Old Aug 3rd, 2007, 12:41 PM

I fear that my favorite lodge is probably going to be way too low key for you folks, but you may want to put it on your someday list for when you're older. Located near Robbinsville NC, Snowbird Mountain Lodge http://www.snowbirdlodge.com is 2 hours drive time from the Knoxville airport via Highway 129 which is a driving adventure itself once you enter NC. On the 'Tail of the Dragon' you will encounter motorcycle daredevils on hairpin turns which will make this section of the road memorable. The Lodge itself is located about 3 miles from the Joyce Kilmer Memorial Forest for moderate hikes and the Appalachian Trail also passes nearby. Room rates are within your price range and include a full breakfast, a sack lunch, and a choice of gourmet dinner options. The lodge room's beds are comfortable and include private baths, the main lodge is charming, and the grounds are inviting.

For another option, you may want to check out The Blue Boar Inn which is also located near Robbinsville, although I can't recommend it personally. http://www.blueboarinn.com/
Old Aug 3rd, 2007, 02:27 PM

We loved the Overleaf Lodge in Yachats, Oregon. The area is beautiful, many walking trails and points of interest. Several good restaurants in the small town. Portland Airport is 150 miles away but you may be able to fly into Eugene. Story of our visit: http://www.seetheglobe.com/modules/w...?cid=9&lid=515
Old Aug 4th, 2007, 04:59 PM
Original Poster

Wow, that's a great trip report/review. Thank you for sharing!
Old Aug 5th, 2007, 03:28 AM
Original Poster

Hi Retired Teacher, thank you so much for your suggestion. I live in Pinnacle, NC so that trip will certainly be considered by DH and me. It looks great.
Old Aug 5th, 2007, 04:45 AM

Another Vermont choice is the Inn at Shelburne Farms. http://tinyurl.com/2xr84t

You don't mention when you're going, and the Inn is not open in the winter if that is a consideration.

The food at the Inn is some of the best I've ever had in our travels, and the farm and lodge is beautiful. There are not a lot of rooms, so you need to book in advance. It is truly a lovely property, with beautiful grounds. It is right on Lake Champlain.

Good luck cmcfong!

Cyn
Old Aug 5th, 2007, 12:41 PM
Original Poster

Oh man, Cyn, that looks great and the food reco makes it a definite must try. We are either going in July or September of 2008, the time will be infulenced by our choice of destinations. Thanks for the post!
Old Aug 14th, 2007, 04:12 AM
Original Poster

We appear to have narrowed down our choices to Blue Lake Ranch in the Durango area and Blue Sky Lodge in Red Lodge, MT. This thread produced some great ideas for future trips and I thank you all so much.
Old Aug 14th, 2007, 07:32 AM

Keep us posted as to which one you decide on. These all sound so good!
Old Aug 15th, 2007, 03:05 AM
Original Poster

Absolutely, mms!