Tell me about Red Lodge, MT, please

Apr 27th, 2008, 02:39 PM
Original Poster

Tell me about Red Lodge, MT, please

A group of four couples will be staying at Blue Sky Cabins for a week of hiking in early Sept. If you are familiar with the area, please suggest some hikes, after hike restaurants, and anything particularly interesting in the area we should experience.
Thank you!
Apr 27th, 2008, 03:45 PM

Hi cmcfong...I'm planning my Yellowstone trip and several people have recommended the Beartooth Highway drive which goes from Red Lodge to the northeastern entrance to the park. Extremely picturesque with 20 mountains over 12000 feet...sounds amazing so I'm trying to work it into my itinerary. You can google a website for the highway (yes, a highway with its own website).

Good luck with your planning!
Apr 27th, 2008, 04:35 PM

Hi cmcfong!

Sounds like you guys are planning a wonderful trip! This is all together with the visit to Park City?

Anyway, when I drove the Beartooth Hwy I noticed some trailheads that looked like they would be great. I didn't get to hike as I was solo (bear country) and winging it into an unplanned road trip at the time.

The trails I saw were just south of the summit, in an area of high alpine meadows and small snow melt lakes. You might want to research these.

Happy trails!
Apr 27th, 2008, 05:21 PM

cmcfong,

When we were in Red Lodge back in 2002 we really enjoyed eating at Bogart's on the main drag through town. Really good food and great atmosphere. We also ate at a well-known place outside of town. It was to the NW, I think. It was alongside a river and you could eat outside. I recall it was pretty good and the drive was interesting. Hopefully between now and your trip I can locate my notebook from that trip. Along with the name of that restaurant there might be some other useful tidbits in it.

I agree with Daryl that a drive up along the Beartooth and trying some of those hikes would be a possibility. We drove across on our way to Yellowstone and saw several places we'd have liked to try if we'd had the time.

Fran

Apr 27th, 2008, 05:44 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for the advice, friends. I appreciate it!

I think we will love the Beartooth Highway. I didn't know about the website, travelbug, and will check it out.

Dayle, we have a book of hikes and it looks like we are spoiled for choice. Actually this trip will be over Labor Day 2008, the Park City adventure will be Labor Day 2009...and we are expecting 100-200 of our high school classmates for that one! Please send me any suggestions that spring to mind for that trip.

Fran, thanks for the restaurant tip on Bogarts. We are all big food enthusiasts and after a day of hiking can convince ourselves we can eat as much as we want. We will give it a try.
Apr 27th, 2008, 06:40 PM

I suggest calling the Custer National Forest headquarters in Billings at
406-657-6200.

There are maps available that show trails. I have often gotten maps from the National Forest offices. There is now a charge for them, but they are valuable for seeking out forest locations.

I am trying to recall where we hiked from one day into one of the wilderness areas.

As I recall we drove along US 212 toward the pass itself. Then we turned off on the Lake Fork Road and drove to where it ended in a circle.
We parked our car and started walking along a trail just to see where it would lead.

I wish I could recall more detail, but it was years ago.

Get a map. I think you will see several trails leading into the back country.
Apr 28th, 2008, 03:44 AM
Original Poster

Great advice, Bob. Thank you so much. I will make the call today.
Apr 28th, 2008, 05:06 AM

If you tell me the name of the trail or hike that you like I probably know it and could give you some insight. Often overlooked by "tourists" is East Rosebud Lake not far from Red Lodge. The Lake is surrounded by cabins however there is a trail that takes you to Elk Lake (easy). The trail continues to climb with breathtaking granite cliffs not far from the trail. The E. Rosebud Creek moves swiftly as you keep climbing towards a chain of numerous lakes (Rimrock, Rainbow) etc. You can quit your hike whenever you want but the hike is the most beautiful in the Stillwater drainage. As a Day hike you should still carry water, some Power bars or Gorp, Deet, and shoes which afford you with some traction.
Apr 28th, 2008, 05:23 AM

Just outside of Red Lodge is the Rock Creek Resort and the Old Piney Dell restaurant is a good one. In town, Natali's is an old favorite for a great breakfast before a hike. http://visitmt.com/categories/morein...=9996&SiteId=1
Apr 28th, 2008, 05:58 AM

I suggest a "hike break day" by taking a trip to the Little Bighorn Battlefield Nat'l Monument outside Billings. It should only be a 1-2 hour drive from Red Lodge and is fascinating. Lots of revelations about what really happened between Custer and his troops and the Native Americans.

There are lots of informative trail walks (rather than hikes) that one can take within the battelfield.
Apr 28th, 2008, 08:03 AM
Original Poster

John, I googled the trail name and got some incredible pictures. Wow, East Rosebud is must do! Thank you for the suggestion.

doohickey, we are staying in Billings our last night and will definitely want to see the battlefield. Thank you for mentioning it.

Keep those ideas coming!
Apr 29th, 2008, 05:28 AM

Be sure to get a window seat when you land in Billings! Left side of plane.
Apr 29th, 2008, 06:51 AM
Original Poster

I may have to fight DH for that window seat!
Jul 21st, 2008, 02:46 AM
Original Poster

topping for jeanned, lots of good information here!
Jul 21st, 2008, 07:36 AM
Tess

Red Lodge is awesome--one of my family's favorite places to get away from it all.

My favorite restaurants: Bridge Creek, Bear Creek Saloon (good food but go for the pig races. So MUCH fun!), Red Lodge Pizza Company, the Grizzly Bar in nearby Roscoe (neat atmosphere)and the Pollard hotel dining room.

Plan for a full day if you do the Bearcreek Highway (and you must). If you end up in Cooke City, there's a great little diner that makes awesome breakfasts and lunches, but of course the name escapes me. Cooke City isn't too big, though, so you should be able to find it.

Absolutely take the suggestion of the poster who mentioned making the trip to Custer's battlefield outside of Billings. It's really an eerie place and well worth a visit.

Plan on a little shopping time--Red Lodge is full of quirky little stores and boutiques and has a nice range of art galleries.

At night they offer wagon rides through town--seems like they were free with tips happily accepted but it's been a couple of years so I can't remember for sure.

Am sure you've probably discovered this already but www.redlodge.com has a bunch of information as well as downloadable maps. Have fun!

Jul 21st, 2008, 07:46 AM
Original Poster

Boy, Tess, you are a gold mine! Thanks for the info and suggestions.
Jul 21st, 2008, 09:16 AM
Tess

You're welcome! My parents were both from the Billings area and we have still have relatives all over Red Lodge/Billings, so we vacationed there all the time when I was growing up. Now my husband, kids and I travel to Red Lodge as often as we can--my little dream is to buy a cabin up there. Bliss!

Jul 21st, 2008, 09:34 AM
Original Poster

Tess, our last night before our flights home will be in Billings. Any suggestions for dinner? Is there a great homemade ice cream shop? Any other must dos?

Thanks a million for your advice!
Jul 21st, 2008, 10:42 AM
Tess

The Residence Inn is nice and would be pretty convenient. Have heard good things about the Billings Inn and the Crowne Plaza. Crowne Plaza is downtown. I really like downtown Billings since hotels in the rest of the town could be Anywhere USA. Most of my experience in Billings has been staying with relatives, though

For a great meal on your last night in the area, try Walker's American Grill in downtown Billings.
http://www.walkersgrill.com/

Jake's is right across the street from the Crowne Plaza--great steak. http://jakes.tv

I don't know about ice cream in Billings but there is (hopefully it's still there) a fabulous ice cream store in Red Lodge!

Jul 21st, 2008, 11:29 AM

Ice Cream in Billings - or anywhere else in MT for that matter.

It's got to be Wilcoxin's no matter what flavor you choose. Made mostly in Livingston, MT but a plant opened recently in Billings.

My fav? Hands down - Chocolate Runs Through It. Even if you're not a smoker you'll be lookin' for a cigarette afterwards! Hah!

-doo

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy -

FODOR'S VIDEO