Tell me about Haleakala . ..

Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 9th, 2003, 10:25 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The bike ride sounds dangerous to me. I've heard of people getting hurt.
Would it be worth it to drive up there? My husband isn't a morning person. What's the big attraction of it? Watching the sunrise?

How long does it take to drive up there?
Old Apr 9th, 2003, 10:48 AM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
You don't have to go at sunrise to enjoy Haleakala, but it is better to get there by 9 or 10 am before it clouds up. I have been there twice, both times between 9 & 10 and it has been great. Well worth the effort. I also thought the biking looked dangerous. Not because of the bikes, but the drivers not paying attention.

Do Haleakala and the Maui Up Country.
Old Apr 9th, 2003, 10:49 AM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Sorry, I think it took about an hour from Lahaina.
Old Apr 9th, 2003, 11:48 AM

My wife and I did the sunrise because we read it was a "must do" and we're glad we did. Not sure we'd wake up at 3 A.M. to do it again, though....maybe sunset next time.

Think we left around 4 A.M. from Wailea to get a good spot for the sunrise.
Old Apr 9th, 2003, 11:58 AM

I recall "The Weather Channel" stating that the drive up Haleakala is one of the few places you can make this high of a vertical ascent by car, and on a paved road. The view inside a dormant volcano and cinder cones is unearthly and we came away with many beautiful photo's. I recommend getting there to watch the sunrise, and be sure to bring a jacket or sweater. I thought it was chilly to be on a bike and I believe they hand out raincoats for the bike ride down. Seeing the sunrise above the cloud line was a worthwhile experience for us.
Old Apr 9th, 2003, 12:17 PM

Definitely drive, don't bike. You'll be glad you did when you're in your nice warm (dry) car on the way down laughing at the suckers on bikes trying not to fly off the road. Seriously, though, my husband and I drove and it wasn't a terrible drive. However, my BIG tip is to check the weather before you leave. I believe they have a hotline that you can call. We didn't know to do this and ended up at the top in a cold, rainy cloud and didn't get to see the sunrise. I've heard its magnificent, though!
Old Apr 9th, 2003, 02:21 PM

Absolutely, you should definitely make the trip up! Although it's really hard getting up that early on vacation, it's well worth it for the sunrise. Afterall, how often do you go to Maui?Definitely bring a sweater as we went in shorts, and it was really cold up there! DO NOT BIKE unless you are a serious biker. It can be steep and if you should veer off the road, you may likely end up falling in volcanic rock or spiny plants! If you're really in the mood for driving, after Haleakala, hit the road to Hana. We did and there wasn't any traffic. Later in the day, it's a lot more crowded. But either way, have a great time and enjoy the beautiful scenery!!!
Old Apr 9th, 2003, 02:37 PM

I was hesitant, but my hubby really wanted to do this so we took a tour. WE had the best time!! The weather was rainy and overcast, but once we rode through the clouds up the mountain, it was clear and beautiful. Riding down is so easy, since there's not a lot of pedaling. It can be dangerous since it's a narrow road, but if you're cautious and with a reputable company, you'll be fine.
The views alone are worth every minute!

Oh, and we didn't do the sunrise one - we went during the day and it was just as nice.
Old Apr 9th, 2003, 04:49 PM

I did the sunrise and bike ride.
1. THE BIKE RIDE - not for everyone; But where else can you go for 38 miles without much effort? It can be hazardous, but as pointed out, use a reputable company, and follow their instructions. It starts out wet and cold. Stops for breakfast. Ends up sunny. I enjoyed it.
2. Big attraction of sunrise at the crater - seeing the clouds rise out of the crater as the sun rises...nice sight.
3. Is it worth driving up. I give up...do you like mountain scenery...and to see a very large crater? The area is beautiful.
I think an afernoon ride up and sunset view would be wonderful....it's all good!!!

enjoy
Old Apr 9th, 2003, 05:44 PM

And you get to see two things you probably won't see anywhere else: the very rare silversword plant, and a nene (pronounced nay-nay) - a Hawaiian goose.
Old Apr 14th, 2003, 12:55 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for the responses.

It is really crowded at sunrise?
Old Apr 14th, 2003, 01:00 PM

Was crowded when we were there in February....had to get there a full hour before the official sunrise to get a prime spot.
Old Apr 15th, 2003, 06:45 AM

I am surprised that in 11 responses no one mentioned what really is worth doing at Haleakala: the half day or full day horseback ride into the crater. Even though I am an avid mountain biker, I can not for the life of me see what the attraction is of riding a bike down the outside of the volcano. The inside of the crater is awesome which some of the above posters alluded to. It is soooo quiet...like being on the moon. We arrived early for the sunrise and then went on the horseback ride. If you come from the mainland US and do this toward the begining of your vacation, your body clock will have you up early anyway.
Old Apr 25th, 2003, 08:05 AM

For my husband and I, it was not worth it. I would never do it again or tell anyone else to do it. We drove, thankfully. Biking looks like it would be horrible and seems very dangerous. We met many people who did go biking and said their brakes weren't working properly, etc. If you are truly a nature lover, maybe you would love it but I personally would rather sleep in and not drive for hours to see the sun come up.
Old Apr 25th, 2003, 12:20 PM

I have to second Craig's recommendation of the horseback ride within the crater. Altho I had a sore behind for 2 days, it was one of the neatest things I did. The company that actually does the rides into the crater is called Pony Express. I did the half day ride in Nov 1996 and it was about $150, but started about 9AM, rode into the crater, had box lunch on the floor of the crater, then rode out, emerging about 2:30 PM. Meet up at the summit. Wear long pants and a sweatshirt - it's cold at 10,000 feet.

The drive took me about 1.5 hours from Kapalua - it will take longer if you are trying to do the sunrise because there are lots more cars.
Old Apr 25th, 2003, 05:15 PM

I agree with Craig. The bikers more than likely miss out on the best part..which is not the sunrise which I felt was nice but not spectacular, even with the clouds. It's a bit over-hyped IMHO. The real beauty of Haleakala is the unique interior, exactly what I envision a lunar landscape to be. And you don't have to take a pony ride to enjoy it although that would certainly help. Just hike down the Sliding Sands Trail to where you feel comfortable you could make the hike back up. Some of my favorite photos from Maui were the ones looking back at the trail with the bluest of skies above the rim...just an amazing contrast.

One last item: if you make your way down by car, stop to take in a different view of the interior of Haleakala from the Leiwiki(sp?) lookout.
Old Nov 21st, 2003, 09:29 AM

We went to see the sunset and although it was too cloudy to fully enjoy it, the experience of being on top of the mountain was unlike anything I've ever experienced. But bundle up, and I'm not talking a light sweater. It must have been about 35 degrees when we were up there with some serious wind. I'm talking hat and scarf cold!!!
Old Nov 21st, 2003, 04:43 PM

We drove up during the morning, got to the top about noon, temp was 50F. Stopped at lookouts on the way down, saw Nenes, great trip. Then went around to Keokaa & winery. Incredible views down to Wailea and all along Kihei, Maalaea coasts up to the curve of west Maui. Well worth it.
Old Nov 22nd, 2003, 09:06 AM
JMM

Don't miss Haleakala but it is certainly NOT necessary to do it at sunrise. We drove up mid-morning and it was spectacular.
Old Nov 23rd, 2003, 01:10 PM

Every year when we go to Maui, we bike down Haleakala. I would not give that up for anything. We stay away from the guided tours and go with the Haleakala Bike Company. They gear you up and take you up an let you ride down at your own pace. We take all day, stopping at the Kula Lodge for breakfast and then shopping in Makawao. There is nothing to compare the sights and smells of riding through the various climate zones, through the forests, past the pineapple fields, through paniolo country. The views are breathtaking--nothing from a car at can compare. We have not done the sunrise tour for a few years, but it was an experience not to be missed!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -