Search

Tell Fodor's where you like to stay in NYC

Search this Thread

Old Dec 17th, 2008, 11:37 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Tell Fodor's where you like to stay in NYC

Hi everyone,

I know that "where to stay in New York City" is a popular topic here. As Restaurants & Hotels Editor at Fodor's, I'm always on the lookout for ways to improve our coverage. Our end-goal is to capture the best properties -- covering all prices and experiences -- in about 100 selections.

Please let me know if you've had an excellent experience at any hotel in the city. If we don't already cover it, I'll suggest it to our reviewer and editor for consideration in the next edition.

If you'd like to see our latest reviews, click here:
http://www.fodors.com/world/north-am...otels-nam.html

Thanks in advance for weighing in!

Erica Duecy
Fodor's Restaurants & Hotels Editor
Old Dec 17th, 2008, 11:45 AM

I like the Dream Hotel, and I bet the others in that mini-chain are great too. Dream has a great location in between Times Square and Central Park, and they usually have reasonable (for NY) weekend rates. I have stayed there with my 9 and 11 year old, but I wouldn't call in particulary kid-friendly....not kid-unfriendly though.
Old Dec 17th, 2008, 11:50 AM

I am astonished that your list doesn't include my favorite Apple Core hotels, which are excellent values. The Comfort Inn Midtown is entirely nonsmoking, and the Red Roof In is cozy, friendly, and recently refurbished in soothing, classy taupe and nickel. Free breakfast and WiFi, too.
Old Dec 17th, 2008, 12:03 PM

Marriott Marquis--for it's location
Old Dec 17th, 2008, 12:07 PM

One of my favorite hotels in NYC is the Giraffe located at 365 Park Ave South.

Great rooms and lobby.

During the week they have a wine and cheese reception during the evening with a piano player.

They also offer a very extensive continental breakfast during the week.

They have a fabulous roof deck.

I love it there!
Old Dec 17th, 2008, 12:16 PM

Marriott Residence Inn, Times Square. 2-3 blocks from TS one way and Empire State and Macy's the other way. Situated on 6th Avenue, almost opposite Bryant Park. Very convenient location, friendly, helpful staff. Rooms are new, clean and very comfortable (even although the bathroom is small) - excellent for up to 3 adults (king bed - typical Marriott comfy) and a sleeper sofa. Full kitchen. Buffet breakfast each morning, which is excellent. Lovely rooms to sit in - 24-hour free coffee, tea etc. Also a light 'snack' weeknights. To be fair, this is the only hotel we've stayed in in NYC, but wouldn't think to stay anywhere else if/when we return.
Old Dec 17th, 2008, 12:37 PM

We've stayed in many hotels (including the Residence Inn) in Manhattan, including:

the Shelburne Murray Hill (it was "tired" at the time, which was a long time ago. I definitely would not stay there again unless it were completely refurbished)

Wellington - a tourist-class hotel, worn around the edges. Old-fashioned. Floral-y. Not my style.

Residence Inn Times Square. Location is great, room is fine, "lounge" is nice as is breakfast, staff is very pleasant, but the bathroom isn't just small, it's miniscule, the sofa bed isn't comfortable and the shower in our room was pathetic.

Courtyard Midtown East. Our favorite of the mid-priced hotels. Great location (Duane Reade downstairs, subway at the corner). Huge room (we had two queen beds AND a loveseat), nice size bathroom, laundry facilities, very friendly staff.

Renaissance. Very nice upscale hotel. Location is chaotic -- right across from the TKTS booth, above an Olive Garden Restaurant.

Marriott Marquis - Same as above. If you want to be in Times Square, it's a nice hotel.

Westin Times Square - Same as above. We got this one on Hotwire and felt we were given a less-desirable room.

Hilton Times Square - Same as above. Same trip, also did this one on Hotwire and got a GREAT room, with a view of the Empire State Building.

W New York - loved the location at 49th and Lexington. Liked the hotel a lot, but the room was very small (was fine for two people, comfortable bed and linens, etc., but VERY SMALL). Very busy and pleasant lobby lounge/bar. We did not notice the walls being thin as mentioned in the review, but who knows, maybe there was nobody in the room next to us.

I'm sure we've stayed in others, but that's all I can think of right now. Of all of those, for a family I would definitely pick the Courtyard Midtown East and for a couple the W.
Old Dec 17th, 2008, 01:22 PM

Just glancing at your list I can think of two that are missing, The Milford Plaza and The NY Salisbury Hotel.

The SAlisbury is the best priced hotel in its West 57th Street location. It is within spitting distance of the pricer Four Seasons, The Plaza, Le Parker Meridian and two short blocks from Central Park.

The rooms are larger (my parents used to practically live in room 1708) and they have one and two bedroom apartments. All rooms have kitchenettes and they have queen beds instead of doubles. Also, for Manhattan the rooms are quite large. Carnegie Hall often puts musicians up there.

The Milford Plaza is a reasonably priced massive Times Square hotel. It is a half block away from MTV so the TRL crowds used to be a pain but it is okay since MTV canceled this show.

The basic rooms are small but adequate. Lobby always busy. It is a no frills hotel.
Old Dec 17th, 2008, 02:07 PM

I would add On the Ave to your list for people who want a boutique hotel on the UWS. This hotel has style and a great location and until their rates went up so much (like almost everyone else's), it was my hotel of choice in NYC.

Old Dec 17th, 2008, 02:45 PM

Bookmarking...
Old Dec 17th, 2008, 04:50 PM
WFT

I've always loved The Hotel Bedford near Grand Central. Older hotel, but the suites are spacious and the staff is friendly. I've also enjoyed the Double Tree Suites in Times Square. Both properties can fit 5 ladies per room traveling for a show and shopping trip.
Old Dec 17th, 2008, 04:59 PM

I love the London NYC. They often have great specials, and for the amount of space you get (over 500 square feet) and the design (herringbon wood floors!), it can't be beat.
Old Dec 17th, 2008, 05:02 PM

Well since we live here I don;t "stay" here often. But do a couple of times a year for business meetings.

The place I like best is the Mandarin Oriental. IMHO a class above most other "luxury" hotels in the city - great views, great food, and the service is incredible - esp if you're entertaining prima donnas.

Big bucks but worth the money if you want what they're selling.
Old Dec 17th, 2008, 05:25 PM

The Sofitel. Great location, nice restaurant and lovely rooms with huge bathrooms.

Deb
Old Dec 17th, 2008, 06:38 PM

The Four Points - Chelsea. Reasonably priced, great location, surprisingly stylish for the price
Old Dec 17th, 2008, 07:06 PM

The Benjamin Hotel has always been a favorite for our family.
Gorgeous rooms and executive suites..across from the Waldorf.
It's been awhile but the wife enjoys the Hotel Plaza Athenee.
Old Dec 17th, 2008, 08:41 PM

Erica, it depends on who pays.

My own needs are simple: A bed from after the closing of the last Jazz club to about 7AM, and maybe another quick shower late in the afternoon before dinner. For that I want to pay as little as possible.

On my own nickel I have liked very much Hotel 17 and Hotel 31 and Larchmont (I know, I know, some cry shock and horror, bathroom down the hall, but gets cleaned often, never had a problem...).

If budget is a bit richer and I need to be in midtown for business, the Super 8 “Times Square” (really at 59 W 46th St.) or the little Comfort Inn at 442 W. 36th St (close to Javits) or the New Yorker (ditto) have been ok.

The Best Western down by Seaport (33 Peck Slip) was cool one time, and sometimes I stay at the Hilton (W 53rd St/Sixth Ave) if on an account. No fun, but suits the posh-minded types if I have to host and network.

There were a few more over the years, some non-descript ones like a something-Plaza across from the Garden, can't remember, and another one was so expensive and over the top trying to be royalty-worthy you could hear the starched shirts creak and the bling rattle on its patrons, I think it was a Marriott. Utterly forgettable, no character.
Old Dec 17th, 2008, 09:08 PM

I would have to say On the Ave. I really enjoy staying in UWS. Great hotel that is very contemporary and elegant. I would recommend to anyone traveling to NYC.
Old Dec 17th, 2008, 09:53 PM

i have stayed at many great hotels during my many visits to nyc.
since most of the trips were a combination of business and leisure, i was able to indulge and stay at some of the more expensive properties from the classic waldorf and plaza to the hip morgan and gansevoort and anywhere in between.
i have finally come to the conclusion that my hotel chain of choice is the w. i particularly like the w tuscany in murray hill and the w union square. the rooms are comfortable and well lit and the service is beyond compare.
i love the concept of " whatever/whenever" as they really have followed through on it on many ocassions.
Old Dec 17th, 2008, 10:36 PM

We usually stay in a suite at the Benjamin. The hotel is a boutique hotel and in a terrific location. The suites are very comfortable, elegant and private. The staff is very helpful and professional. They even have a pillow menu!

I would not hesitate staying at The Benjamin. http://www.thebenjamin.com/

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Your Privacy Choices -