Teacher Moving to San Diego

May 13th, 2006, 05:51 AM
Original Poster

Teacher Moving to San Diego

After years of 2 foot snowstorms, I'm ready to say "goodbye" to the east coast for now and head west. Still not sure which school I will be assigned to, so finding it difficult to look for an apartment. I really want to live near a beach (walking distance would be key, although I know I may be dreaming). Any suggestions about towns that are either beach towns or near the beach and still commutable to San Diego? Would also love info./advice about the district from other San Diego teachers?
May 13th, 2006, 06:38 AM

It won't do much good to give you suggestions until you know which school or at least in which area you'll be teaching.

May 13th, 2006, 06:45 AM

Have you been in touch with CA to determine if your credentital is valid in the state? With the No Child Left Behind legislation, it may be difficult teach in CA without additional coursework. You also ask about "the district." I'm not familiar with San Diego, but CA cities usually have several small districts within the city and its environs.
May 13th, 2006, 07:35 AM

It sounds as though the OP has already been hired by San Diego Unified and is waiting to find out at which school she will be teaching. Is this the case?

This district includes virtually all of the city of San Diego except several northern suburbs. (Rancho Penasquitos and Rancho Bernardo are part of Poway Unified School District. Carmel Valley is part of San Dieguito Union High School District and Del Mar Union School district)

It would be better to wait until you know where you will be teaching, but you may not actually know for a while. You can check out rentals, both apartments and houses, at

www.signonsandiego.com.

The morning and evening commute on I-5 and I-15 are bad. You could check out Pacific Beach and Ocean Beach. Also, there are nice apartments/condos in Mission Valley which is pretty central. downtown tends to be very expensive.
May 13th, 2006, 07:43 AM
trippinkpj

Good advise on Mission Valley. Affordable and centrally located.

May 14th, 2006, 09:38 AM

Agreed on the traffic - I live and work in North County, but sometimes the $$$$ doesnt allow you to be exactly where you work. I also suggest you do without an SUV and get something smaller with better gas mileage. As long as youre in SD you're never far from a beach!
May 14th, 2006, 10:55 AM

i live in mission valley. it's not walking distance to a beach, but is central to just about any san diego destination. there are hundreds of apartment complexes here with a lot of new construction so there are lots of options. pacific beach and ocean beach are nice and more affordable than la jolla if you're really interested in walking to the beach. traffic can be more challenging though.
May 14th, 2006, 10:37 PM

If you want to be in the City of SD at a beach, the best option is to live in La Jolla. The nicest beach is Windnsea (Wind and Sea), with La Jolla Shores and La Jolla Cove area which are also nice.

North Pacific Beach is OK but the rest of PB is party central for the college kids and car burglaries are OUT OF CONTROL. No matter what you do in the beach areas, make sure you get a garage!!

Mission Beach *on the bayside* could also be nice but loud parties are a regular problem, finding parking can be difficult and the area has a major "less than desireable" attraction to it on Sundays.

If I was single and new to SD, I'd say Mission Valley is definitely the place to be. Tons of great shopping and restaurants with a trolley ride away from either stadium and the downtown Gaslamp Quarter.
May 23rd, 2006, 08:37 PM

I teach in North County, Del Mar. It is important to know exactly what district hired you and which school you will teach in. Traffic is terrible in the afternoon when school lets out on the I-5 North and the same with the 15. If possible, I would do anything to avoid the traffic hassles. If not the library has a lot of good books on tape.