Search

Tea in the City

Search this Thread

Old Nov 14th, 2003, 11:32 AM
KMJ
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Tea in the City

I'm interested in finding a great place for afternoon tea. Either traditional or non-traditional but something fun and memorable for a girls weekend. I have a few places in mind - Heartbeat at the W, The Four Season or the Rotunda Tea at the Pierre. Has anyone tried these and if so which did you enjoy most and why? Also what would be the average price for afternoon tea and snacks at any of these places or any others that might be recommended? Thanks
Old Nov 14th, 2003, 12:05 PM

Have done the Pierre which was outstanding-elegant room, great service & very quiet. Have been to the 4 Seasons Hotel for break & lunch, not Tea. It's a much more modern place-the Pierre is very traditional.

Also check King's Carriage House & Payard Bistro, both on the upper east side.

If you go to menupages.com they may have menus/prices.
Old Nov 14th, 2003, 12:30 PM
GoTravel

My top picks are The Pierre and The Plaza.

Old Nov 14th, 2003, 12:30 PM
Tess

Tea at the Pierre is lovely. So relaxing and you'll be treated like a princess. Beware of Friday or Saturday late afternoons, however...on another board someone mentioned being kicked out early because they were setting up for a wedding reception. I would suggest indulging in their top of the line tea offering...it's something like $30 per person but you won't soon forget the experience.

Old Nov 14th, 2003, 12:57 PM

Another vote for the Pierre. It truly is a special experience. The room is lovely, the food phenomenal and the service is impeccable.

Kings Carriage House is also fun. Went to a party there once. They have cute rooms with English "hunt" type themes, British servers and the food is pretty good.
Old Nov 14th, 2003, 04:13 PM
adoptionisfab

TEA & SYMPATHY 108-110 Greenwich Ave., New York, NY, 10011. It is not fancy and is very small it is ENGLISH and everyone is an Expat. It feels like a trip to London.

Old Nov 15th, 2003, 04:12 AM

This subject is on my my mind too..... Any opinions on the St. Regis tea? The website says that it serves afternoon tea, and shows a beautiful room with a Maxfield Parrish mural. Would this run about $30 per? I am headed up to NYC with my mother and daughter just before Christmas, and am thinking a cold carriage ride through Central Park followed by afternoon tea!
Old Mar 28th, 2004, 02:06 PM
adoptionisfab

Alices Tea Cup 102 west 73 st. A nice comfortable alternative for tea.

Old Mar 28th, 2004, 04:30 PM

There is a great article with detailed information at: http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/4303397 past that link into your address box on the tool bar, click "go" and it should take your to the article. Places that were discussed were Lady Mendle's, Cafe Kinokuniya, T Salon, Tea & Sympathy, Takashimaya, and Palm Court at the Plaza. Locations, food descriptions, and prices are given.
Old Mar 28th, 2004, 09:30 PM

The Pierre is wonderful - such ambiance! I don't remember the cost, but I recall thinking that the experience was certainly worth the money. Everything was very tasty...and it was a great place to get in out of the cooold and warm up with a cup of tea in November.
Old Mar 29th, 2004, 10:41 PM

Maybe Moby's place in the Lower East Side? I haven't been there, but it sounds interesting. It is called TeaNY