Search

Taxi costs in NYC

Search this Thread

Old Nov 11th, 2002, 07:22 AM
Steve

Taxi costs in NYC

My friends and I are trying to work out the best way of travelling around NYC. I know that the subway is great value for money, but, we would like to travel by taxi too (there are 4 of us - so we'll spilt the bill each time).

What would a taxi driver charge for the following (on average)?

Grand Central to the Staten Island Ferries.

Thanx.

Old Nov 11th, 2002, 07:47 AM
lois

The cost might be in the neighborood of $30+. A lot depends on the traffic and the time of day. Might even take you a good 45 min. to get there and the meter clicks and clicks even when sitting in traffic.

Your best bet is to take the subway at Grand Central or the bus on Second Ave. to the ferry terminal. It might take a little longer, but it is safer and much cheaper. $1.50 each. Get a MetroCard as the bus does not take dollar bills. only EXACT change.

Take this suggestion for a native NY'er, taxis are not always the best way to travel...they are definitely the least safe.

Old Nov 11th, 2002, 07:49 AM
lois

Slight correction.....the subway is very quick. You can be downtown in 15-20 min. The bus takes a bit longer.

Nothing beats the subway when you have a busy day planned.

Old Nov 11th, 2002, 07:54 AM
J

Assuming you mean the ferry terminal on the Manhattan side--not on Staten Island---$30 strikes me as too high. Hope on the FDR to get downtown, and provided it's not bumper to bumper, I'd guess $15 or so. I know it costs $12 from the West Village to the Upper East Side, and that's not as long a trip, but I'm being generous to allow for traffic. If you're planning on 3 or more subway trips in one day, each member of your party can buy a one-day metrocard for $4 that allows you unlimied rides. Each ride is normaly $1.50, so it's a good deal.

Taxis can be more frustrating than anything else when you're sitting in traffic---and often take longer than the subway or walking. Also, 3 people crammed in the backseat of a cab is not terribly comfortable. The person who ends up in front won't be able to talk to the folks in the back easily because of the plastic partition.

Old Nov 11th, 2002, 07:56 AM
xxx

I'm thinking $30 is also a bit too high. If you do take the subway, make sure you are in the first 5 subway cars because they are the only ones with a platform. I think Bowling Green is the subway stop.

Old Nov 11th, 2002, 07:57 AM
xxx

Forgot to add, most places you will find yourself walking to. The taxis are sometimes hard to flag down. It is easier on the Avenues or in front of a hotel.

Old Nov 11th, 2002, 08:32 AM
x

As soon as the driver activates the meter there is a charge of $2.50. Each mile thereafter costs $1.50. There is a charge of 20 cents for each minute of waiting time when stalled in traffic. It is about 5 miles Gr, Central to the ferry terminal. Assuming no major delay the trip should cost around $10 not including a tip. Cost of subway for four is $6. For ant trip 2 miles or less a cab would be more cost effective. Judge distances as follows - 20 Blocks, going north/south, is 1 mile. Going crosstown , avenue to avenue, is the same as going 3 blocks street to street. Subway to Gr. Central to ferry, would take less than 25 minutes. Taxi, if driver took the FDR drive and there was no traffic trip wopuld take less than 15 minutes; with traffic at least 25 minutes. Bottom line - taxi makes sense for short trips. Walking for short trips makes even more sense.

Old Nov 11th, 2002, 11:54 PM
Steve

thanx for the handy info!

Steve

Old Nov 12th, 2002, 04:04 AM
rqf

Taxi charges
$2 when driver activates the meter
$1.50 a mile
20 cents a minute when in stalled or stopped traffic.
50 cents night surcharge (not sure of time surcharge takes effect
Gr. Central to ferry
If driver goes through Manhattan streets cost could be as high as $15 and trip could take upwards of 30 minutes. Cost would be less if driver took the FDR Drive and trip could be made in less time if traffic is light on the drive. I would take the subway. Cost is $1,.50 a person and shouldn't take more than 20 minutes. Take a #4 or #5 express train from Gr. Central and get off at the Bowling Green Station.

Old Nov 12th, 2002, 11:30 AM
Gina

Steve
We recently visited NYC for the first time and found the subway system very easy to use. The few times we did take a cab, not only was it costly, but NY cabbies drive like they're in the Indy 500 - scary!!!!!

Old Nov 12th, 2002, 11:39 AM
junebug

I used to take cabs around town way more often than I do now, mainly for one reason: they're usually disgustingly filthy. Can't remember the last time I sat in a cab that didn't skeeve me -- ripped seats, visible filth and nasty smells. They're supposed to be clean but the standards have really gone downhill imo. If I have to be in a dirty environment I'll take the subway since it's much faster.

Old Nov 12th, 2002, 01:41 PM
Alana

If you and your friends have no reason to need the trunk of the taxi, I highly suggest the subway #4/5 to Bowling Green as well. 4 people crowded into a taxi from midtown is claustrophobic & expensive compared to $1.50/person on the subway. The station is connected with the ferry terminal so you would not need to walk far.