Reload this Page >

TAX REBATE $: Who's travelling??

Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 21st, 2001, 04:09 AM
Trish

My tax rebate check is going towards airline tickets! Thank you very much Mr. President.
What about you fellow travel lovers??
Who's spending their money on travel?

Old Aug 21st, 2001, 04:14 AM
xxx

I sent mine back with a letter asking that it go to deficit reduction.

Old Aug 21st, 2001, 04:23 AM
xxx

Ours is going to a local Children's Hospital - government not all that concerned with sick kids. No thanks Mr. President.

Old Aug 21st, 2001, 04:47 AM
L

When our $600 arrived, we of course laughed a bit, shook our heads, and took W.'s unwanted gift and promptly invested it in an IRA. One of these days, we'll all have to communicate about how the downturn is affecting us ... this subject's already been done to some degree, but an update may be warranted as ("if" ... I think not) trends become gloomier. I'd really enjoy knowing what you see ahead ... does anyone, for example, believe we'll see a 3.2% growth rate next year? And what will this do to airline and hotel prices (travel related stuff)? Thanks, and ciao.

Old Aug 21st, 2001, 05:23 AM
bj

I'll be saving mine to use this winter when W and his oil barron buddies rape us again on gas prices.
I hope this thread is not for some republican poll. Kind of like the NRA polling its members to find out what "citizens" think of gun control. Most americans do not frequent this forum and very very few americans will be spending theirs on leisure travel. Count on that.

Old Aug 21st, 2001, 06:25 AM
jen

I will be donating mine to the Democratic party.

Old Aug 21st, 2001, 06:33 AM
yes

Spending it on travel, you bet! Nice to get it!

Old Aug 21st, 2001, 06:43 AM
Larry

.we are using it towards our next vacation...it;s going to be a rough winter with oil and gas prices and I might as well enjoy it.. Living in the Northeast we will get zonked.... Can hardly wait until Dummy is out of the White House.. wonder how his vacation is and when is he having a news conference??

Old Aug 21st, 2001, 07:07 AM
L

Evidently W. worried about the prospect of breaking Nixon's vacation record, so we shall have him back in DC, temporarily, at the end of the month ... but just long enough to pick up fresh underwear before helicoptering to Camp David. I wouldn't count him out in 2004 quite yet ... lets see if the public cares enough to make a change. Press conference? Probably right after Condit, and as enlightening. Ciao

Old Aug 21st, 2001, 08:12 AM
AGoreJr

I sure love all of you bitter, guilty, rich liberals. Our party thrives on your type.

All that money for travel, time to actually sit around all day and post messages about it AND guilt.

We luuuuvvvvvv you.

"Me in 2004"

Old Aug 21st, 2001, 08:20 AM
dummy

TO: XXX post on Children's Hosptial donation.
I commend you on your decision!

Isn't it nice that YOU actually had a CHOICE over where YOU got to send YOUR money?
I'm Pro-Choice when it comes to you deciding on how to spend your hard earned money.

Unless, of course, you feel totally inadeqaute to continue to make such choices and we can let Mr Gephardt decide for you?

Would you have made a $300 doantion if there had not been a refund?

If the refund was $1600 would you have donated all of it to charity?

Old Aug 21st, 2001, 03:22 PM
anna

Got news for you all. That was not a rebate you got. It was an ADVANCE on next year's refund. If you aren't due a refund next year you could end up OWING more, and if you are due a refund, it could be up to $600 SMALLER. Don't believe me? The truth is at www.irs.gov

Old Aug 21st, 2001, 03:39 PM
Hello

bj,

I am not one to address nonsence or antagonitisc post...but respectfully I would like to comment on what you said:

"I'll be saving mine to use this winter when W and his oil barron buddies rape us again on gas prices"

Opinions are great, and arguements are made strong by the vocabulary that is used... but please do not use the word rape for any scenerio that is not describing a sexual rape... if we use the word too often I fear it will be desenticized(sp?)

Thank you

Old Aug 21st, 2001, 04:12 PM
Cindy

Citizens got $600. Oil companies promptly got millions in tax breaks. So who's the sucker?

Could the rebates have been part of a plot to send some bennies to the oil buddies while no one was looking, all of us busy jangling the newly discovered chump change in their pockets?

Nah.

Seriously, as for me, I didn't get a rebate. I filed for an extension, and I just sent in my tax forms last week. That's a weird rebate indeed where people who pay their taxes on April 15 but file for a perfectly legal extension get zippo. I would think I ought to get a rebate check any day now, but the experts say no.

Old Aug 21st, 2001, 04:41 PM
holly

To "ThanksForHearingMe" -

BJ's use of the term "rape" was not incorrect. In fact, sexual rape is not the only, or even the primary defintion of that term. Nor do I think that "sensitizing" people to esoteric language issues will reduce sexual rape.

Back to travel issues!

Old Aug 21st, 2001, 06:35 PM
Sammy

First the dummy talked down the economy which made things worse, and then with the surplus vanishing he gave us a tax rebate! I plan to save my money and put it into the stock market when the Dow Jones hits 6,000.

Old Aug 21st, 2001, 06:42 PM
Tracy

I'll be giving mine to Planned Parenthood. They will have their hands full battling the right wingers who stole the election.

Old Aug 22nd, 2001, 04:08 AM
No Bleeding Heart

Bought a new flat-screen TV with our refund. Next spring the old one will be donated to church for their rummage sale.

Old Aug 22nd, 2001, 04:49 AM
Trish

I really had no intention of turning this into a "political thread". Will definitely think twice before posting anything I intend to be "light hearted" again!
(Sorry I asked!!) Trish

Old Aug 22nd, 2001, 05:55 AM
Mad Scientist

I plan to send my money to help PRIVATE research on stem cells. This is very important research that could break through many barriers in the medical world. However, W is not putting any federal funding into research which would involve embryos not already destroyed? come on! This researh is going to go on anyway and people are going to continue to donate thier embyos to research. ( I mean their going to be destroyed anyway!) Why not go full force with this new breakthrough research that would make medical advanements for everyone? Just like conservatives, never looking to far into the future, we've got money now so give it away to people to buy flat screen TVS, when the money could go to research to help millions in the future. Why don't we just bury our heads in the sand a little more the same way we do with environmental issues. A GREAT president takes risks, some good some bad. A poor president keeps the status quo, or in this case, goes on vacation!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -