Search

Tax Free Shopping

Search this Thread

Old Aug 12th, 2000, 04:08 PM
Simon

Tax Free Shopping

Im from the UK and am going to America for a 3 week vacation and was wondering if non US citizens get tax free shopping?

Old Aug 12th, 2000, 04:59 PM
bill

dunno

Old Aug 12th, 2000, 05:35 PM
Caitlin

Sorry, but no tax refunds for non-citizens in the US. Don't know where you will be, but sales taxes vary from place to place as there is no federal sales tax; they are set by states and municipalities, and are much lower than VAT in Europe, usually around 5-8% (though there are often additional hotel taxes). Some states have no sales tax (though not on East coast), and some have exceptions, e.g. in NY and NJ, no sales tax on clothes/shoes up to a certain amount ($110/item in NY).

Old Aug 12th, 2000, 05:47 PM
betsy

New Hampshire has no sales tax. In Mass, clothing is not taxed. I believe that Oregon has no sales tax either. Hope this helps!!

Old Aug 13th, 2000, 03:11 AM
John

Some states offer tax-free shopping for international visitors. Louisiana, for example, has a tax refund program where int'l visitors show their passports when purchasing an item and then get a refund check which can be redeemed either at the New Orleans airport or by mail.

I suspect other areas of the country have similar programs. I've used the tax-free program in Ontario on several occasions as a U.S. citizen...very cool!

Old Aug 15th, 2000, 08:37 AM
howard

With the exception of Louisiana as previously mentioned, I know of no other state that gives tourists (foreign or domestic) any tax breaks. However, in the northeast, there are no sales taxes levied in New Hampshire and Delaware for anyone. Other states (i.e., New Jersey, Massachusetts and Connecticut) are tas free for clothes up to a certain price, the same for New York City.

Old Aug 22nd, 2000, 11:26 AM
Anne

No tax on clothes in Pennsylvania.