Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

Tampa Airport Hotels .......What Are These Like?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 9th, 2000, 01:07 PM
nic

Hi again
I've had a good search around for hotels/motels near to Tampa International Airport.

Has anyone stayed in any of the following, What did you think? Are they in decent ares?

Days Inn Airport/Stadium 2522 N Dale Mabry
La Quinta Tampa Airport 4730 Spruce Street
Hampton Inn Tampa Arpt Rocky Pt 3035 North Rocky Point Drive
HJ Hotel Tampa Airport 2055 N Dale Mabry Highway
Homestead North Airport Tampa 5401 Beaumont center Blvd.
Days Inn Rock Point TMPCC 7627 Courtney Campbl CSWY
Ramada Inn Conference Center Tampa Airport 5303 W. Kennedy Blvd

Any other suggestions welcome, the most we'd want to pay is $100 including tax.
How much is the tax in Florida?
Thanks

Old Aug 9th, 2000, 02:59 PM
CMcDaniel

Nic, I'd eliminate the Dale Mabry properties....a very very busy 6 lane hwy, noisy, hard to take your eyes off the road to locate anything, and nearly impossible to cross if you have to without a light. Kennedy is much the same.

I drove past (and thought of you) the La Quinta on Spruce last night. It looks nice. Area is ok, though very much commercial/airport--might be good for you though as it's hunkered down between two car rental places, and I know that'll be one of your chores that day. gt; It's "utilitarian"--close to the airport and a place to lay your head one night then move on.

Rocky Point properties will be ok--a more pleasant area than Spruce. Days Inn has a tiny strip of beach (I wouldn't swim there though) and does some jet ski rental. It's closer to Courtney Campbell Cswy which makes it more visible from the main hwy (easy for you to find) but noisier, I would think, than Hampton Inn which is the same section of the island, just in a bit from the highway.

I'm not familiar with Beaumont Center Blvd.

Hopefully someone who has stayed in one of these can give more input. Will have to check on the hotel tax when dh gets home and get back to you.

Old Aug 9th, 2000, 04:13 PM
sally

Several years ago I stayed at a La Quinta right next to the airport--probably 5 or 6 years ago. I assume it's the same one. It was pretty much what you expect a La Quinta to be. It is very adequate.

Old Aug 10th, 2000, 05:07 PM
CMcDaniel

Nic...forgot to get back to you on the "bed tax". It's 11% in both Hillsborough and Pinellas Counties (Tampa, St. Pete, Clearwater etc).

Old Aug 14th, 2000, 10:01 AM
nic

Thanks for the info so far. What are La Quinta's like then, we've not stayed in one before?

Old Aug 22nd, 2000, 11:48 AM
M. Holland

Take a look at the little BnB GuestHouses called Gram's Place
www.grams-inn-tampa.com
It's a lot of fun and if you love music it is a must.