Search

Taste of Chicago

Search this Thread

Old Jun 4th, 2001, 04:22 PM
Frank

Taste of Chicago

Dear Travel Talk,

My wife and I are going to spend two days at Taste of Chicago in Chicago, Illinois during the month of July.
Can anyone give us some tips on where we may be able to cool down with martini's or margaritas at happy hour after a long day in the sun. We are staying at the Embassy Suites Downtown.
Also, any ideas on some cool nightclubs for thirty somethings.

Thank You.

Old Jun 4th, 2001, 07:01 PM
John

Your hotel, the Embassy Suites, will have a complimenty managers reception with drinks. If you wish to wonder out to some of the bars the river north area has several including the Rock Bottom and many touristy bars.

Old Jun 6th, 2001, 06:22 PM
Natalie

Hi Frank!
I live in Chicago and the downtown area is mostly tourist traps and generally overpriced. If you're up for getting away from downtown, I can recommend a bunch of places to get a drink or two, and good restaurants that are probably a $10 cab ride or a 10 minute el ride away from your hotel. El Jardin (there are two, go to the one with the outdoor patio--3335 N. Clark) is just north of the Belmont red line stop and has fantastic margaritas. In that area on Clark street are a bunch of bars and clubs as well, though it's mostly college and just-out-of-collge aged people. The Metro is also in this area--a good place to see a show. For the club scene I would suggest heading to Wicker Park/Bucktown (the center of it all is at the intersection of North/Damen/Milwaukee--and the blue line stops here), where you can go to the Double Door or across the street to The Note and see a live band, as well as countless other bars. Check out The Reader (www.chireader.com) for the current goings-on. If you want a different suggestion, let me know and I'll be happy to help. Hope you have a fantastic time!

Old Jun 8th, 2001, 11:47 AM
Domenic

Hi Frank:

Natalie offers good advice. One tip about the Taste is that around dinner time, especially on weekends, the sea of humanity is incredible. I have been caught in people traffic there, unable to move. It's also expensive. While you are cooling off up on Clark Street, why not stop in at Frank's, just north of Fullerton. It's a typical old Chicago bar, now made into something of a shrine to Sinatra. They make an okay martini there for not an unreasonable price. Chicago is a great, great city. Have fun.

Old Jun 8th, 2001, 12:12 PM
Beth

I would add Ceasar's home of the Killer Margarita at 31?? N. Clarkcto the list of Mexican places for a good stiff drink. If you like mexian food too, try, Uncle Julio's Hacienda on Norht Avenue they have good fajitas and homemade chips. For good local color bars try those around Wrigley field suh as the Cubby Bear, Sluggers, Murphy's Bleachers, and Hi-Tops. for a good blues lub try B.L.U.E.S. on Halstead or Kingston Minesbother cater to the over 25 crowd (like me)! I agree most places downtown are touristy and way overpried. There is restaurant/lounge there I like to frequent however called Redfish, they serve New Orleans cajun food, have mardi gras deor and the lounge attached is the voodoo Lounge. Prices are quite reasonable and Jumbalya and hurricane drinks are out of this world

Old Jun 8th, 2001, 06:07 PM
noel

Thirty somethings would possibly like the Blues bars on Halsted, there are several. The Taste is really crowded, but it's fun to try the different types of foods. Eat there for lunch then go out for a late dinner. Our favorite restaurant is Bistro 110 across from the Water Tower off Michigan Ave. The House of Blues is a pretty cool place to go to afterwards, so is Buddy Guys Ledgends. Make sure you take cabs when you go out because it's tuff to find a place to park. Have fun!

Old Jun 14th, 2001, 07:49 AM
Frank

Thanks everyone for the great advice and information. Keep it coming!

Frank

Old Jun 18th, 2001, 01:24 PM
jeanne

I think the best margarita I've ever had is at Bubba Gump Shrimp at Navy Pier!!

Old Jun 18th, 2001, 02:44 PM
Kevin

I liked Natalie's advice too.

Check out metromix.com it's an entertainment guide run by the Chicago Tribune and always has good ideas.

Old Jun 25th, 2001, 12:02 PM
Giselle

Greek town is just west of your hotel and is a fun place to cool down and dine at a rooftop restaurant. Definitely just do lunch at the "Taste", it gets expensive and the portions are small. There are plenty of great restaurants in the area. If you want to walk to a club, try Excalibur, also just West of your hotel. It is a bit touristy, but it is nearby. If you want to party with the locals, that will take a cab ride to the aforementioned Wicker Park/Bucktown neighborhood. Good restaurants include Feast and Soul Kitchen. Have fun!